Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn't a split work? I'd even be happy for the team to be based in Launceston and I am a Southerner.
It's not even a 2 hour drive. The mainland media love that "there's a split in Tassie" thing.
It does not currently exist and hasn't since the 80s. So many experts that have never lived here.

I don’t enough about any rivalry between the two cities to comment but I’m more talking about the physical geographical split of fixtures, what I thought might be an issue is that whilst a proportion of the fan base would travel to the two sites it may not be convenient or possible for a proportion to as well , which could negatively impact the crowd numbers.

Is this or any of the other concerns able to be addressed? Of course, but there is (particularly in this climate) an element of risk that the AFL would need to have an appetite for.

For the record I’d love to see a tassie side.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t enough about any rivalry between the two cities to comment but I’m more talking about the physical geographical split of fixtures, what I thought might be an issue is that whilst a proportion of the fan base would travel to the two sites it may not be convenient or possible for a proportion to as well , which could negatively impact the crowd numbers.

Is this or any of the other concerns able to be addressed? Of course, but there is (particularly in this climate) an element of risk that the AFL would need to have an appetite for.

In fact plain crowd numbers are incidental to membership $$$, sponsorship $$$, indeed any $$$ incomes directly or indirectly associated with the team.

Remember the State Government, see this as a part of tourism (media exposure, tourist visits & jobs)& as having huge social benefits to the state. Also as having a political benefit to them.

I would think there is a lot less risk in the afl going to Tasmania then there was for Gold Coast and Gws in Tasmania they will have full state government backing. And they will not need to walk around the streets trying to beg people to buy memberships and tickets to games like in the expansion markets pretty much every home game they played against a Victorian team would be a guaranteed sellout

I would think there is a lot less risk in the afl going to Tasmania then there was for Gold Coast and Gws in Tasmania they will have full state government backing. And they will not need to walk around the streets trying to beg people to buy memberships and tickets to games like in the expansion markets pretty much every home game they played against a Victorian team would be a guaranteed sellout

Agreed there, Most definitely

Honestly, for the sake of Tasmanians and the national game, I'd love to see it happen for a Tasmania "Devils" team in the AFL.

But I think it would take:
-- an indoor stadium, in Hobart
-- a GWS style (Breakfast Point) residential complex for the players
-- long term local Tasmanian sponsors - it's easy in years 1 to 5, but what about in 10 years time?

The Gold Coast Suns franchise provides valuable lessons. If you want to attract and retain the best young talent, it's got to be an overall package for them. Anyway best of luck to Tasmania, you could hardly do any worse than the Suns!

Honestly, for the sake of Tasmanians and the national game, I'd love to see it happen for a Tasmania "Devils" team in the AFL.

-- long term local Tasmanian sponsors - it's easy in years 1 to 5, but what about in 10 years time?

The Gold Coast Suns franchise provides valuable lessons. If you want to attract and retain the best young talent, it's got to be an overall package for them. Anyway best of luck to Tasmania, you could hardly do any worse than the Suns!
Some good points mate but I think this talk of Tasmania needing a indoor stadium is a bit ridiculous the weather is not that different to Melbourne. It’s nothing when you compare it to some conditions the NFL and some European soccer leagues have to play in snow blizzards

Eddie started the crap about an indoor stadium.

WTF is that all about? We don't get 6' of snow or heat waves.

In fact we get less rain than Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, or the Gold Coast. None of whom seem to need a roofed stadium.

We don't NEED an indoor stadium. It'd be an incredible waste of money. It'd be nice, but we're not spending a billion $$ or whatever it costs for such a stadium anytime soon.
What on earth do we need residential complex for? What's the benefit of such a thing?

We don't NEED an indoor stadium. It'd be an incredible waste of money. It'd be nice, but we're not spending a billion $$ or whatever it costs for such a stadium anytime soon.
What on earth do we need residential complex for? What's the benefit of such a thing?

Mate FIIK where this stuff comes from.

They must think we want a team in Tanzania, not Tasmania!!

Its getting sillier & sillier. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not.
Unless Hobart and Nth Tasmania enter teams in their own right.

That will mean a national divisional system, which includes at a minimum;
- Darwin
- Canberra
- Cairns
- Hobart
- Nth Tasmania
- Bendigo
- Ballarat
- Albury/Wodonga

Have you worked out who’s paying for this yet?

You are just far too negative and cannot see beyond the American way of doing professional sport.

Um, your whole post was vacuous but this sentence was particularly baffling.

American way of doing sport? It's the Australian way of doing sport. Since the mid 1800s, when sport started to become a thing.

No idea why you'd call it the American way since they clearly weren't an inspiration to how our sports competitions are structured, even though they ended up using similar systems to us. I guess in your mind America = bad, so it's helping your argument to make this false equivalency?

Read the thread

Read the thread;

It does, but a #2 fan is a lot more likely to drop the membership if the team is going sh*t.

To be fair the Gold Coast experiment suggests that’s not exactly true

Plenty of generational Big 4 plus Hawthorn supporters in SEQ have kept their Gold Coast memberships.

Would Tasmania be any different apart from a historic and enduring football culture which would be more enduring than the frontier states?

To be fair the Gold Coast experiment suggests that’s not exactly true

Plenty of generational Big 4 plus Hawthorn supporters have kept their Gold Coast memberships

lol, Suns crowds have collapsed. No-one that has the Suns as their #2 team was showing up today (for instance).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back