Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see supporters of teams who generally whinge their teams are sent there too much asking for a tassie team

As an interim measure, hawks north and saints to play 3 games each per year there. The other 15 clubs rotate so they visit every other year all of them

I havent seen the AFL itself whinging about the shrinking participation or afl players or shrinking revenue from Tassie. IVe seen plenty of others whine about it though.
cool, then if the afl dgaf then they wgaf when tassie tells them to piss off and the people/gov puts their money into cricket and soccer instead.

Nice to see supporters of teams who generally whinge their teams are sent there too much asking for a tassie team

As an interim measure, hawks north and saints to play 3 games each per year there. The other 15 clubs rotate so they visit every other year all of them
My issue is that on average there should be 2 trips to these secondary venues every 3 years. Not the 11 in 5 years that Adelaide has been fixtured to. (2 every year for the past 5 years, plus a 3rd this coming season)

Though, I believe we requested 3 of those matches, but still, 8 in 5 years is more than the 3-4 one would expect.

Mate, that's a huge load of BS and you know it. You don't know a whole lot of people who left Tasmania.
Ahh right, of course you'd know more about my friends and family than I would :$.

Fairly well established by now that many young people leave Tasmania (largely for work) but you can pretend otherwise if you like.
It's amazing how often people who have a biased opinion just make crap up to bolster it. For the record, I moved to Tasmania 2 years ago and I couldn't be happier with my decision.
I literally couldn't care less where you live, sorry. But, great that you moved somewhere you like. Awesome!

Hobart and Adelaide are both nice places with a lot to offer. Setting a trumped up rivalry between Adelaide and Hobart is simply unnecessary.
Re-read the post I responded to.

As for the accessibility to Melbourne/Sydney - that's BS too. Few people drive between capitals for travel. People fly. The flight times are pretty much the same.
I'd take a drive down the Great Ocean Road over dealing with an airport any day. But you are right, I probably could go to Tasmania just as easily. The reason I don't is because the other cities are more interesting to me (and less depressing, FWIW).

I'm sorry if you're offended by this, but there's no reason to be sensitive about it.

Last edited:
99% sure the NT Govt chips in about $250k per game to the 'home team' who schedules their game there.

Definitely were paying Melbourne to play here.
CEO Peter Jackson mentioned it at an AGM a couple of years ago. Melbourne does not receive money to play in NT, any income that they receive is via sponsorship that they organise.

Say what? Melbourne is paid by the NT, underwritten by the AFL.

Melbourne signed a deal in 2019 to play in Alice Springs until 2024. The Suns will play in Darwin.
CEO Peter Jackson mentioned it at an AGM a couple of years ago. Melbourne does not receive money to play in NT, any income that they receive is via sponsorship that they organise.

You are correct on the Alice Springs bit, I should have said Darwin, not NT.

You are correct on the Alice Springs bit, I should have said Darwin, not NT.

They don't receive money from the AFL but the NT Govt sponsors them to play in the NT. If they didn't they wouldn't be playing here.

THE Melbourne Demons have struck a multi-million dollar deal with the NT Government to play two AFL home games annually in the Territory for two more years.
There was some suggestion as negotiations between the AFL and Government dragged on that Alice Springs would lose its match.

But the Government came up with $3.2 million across the next two years to avoid that scenario.

Melbourne have already played home matches in the Territory for seven years, including Saturday night’s game against Fremantle in Darwin, which drew a crowd of 8163 — down on the 11,873 from 2015.

One match will be played at Darwin’s TIO Stadium and another at Alice Springs’ Traeger Park in 2017 and 2018.

We're fine with playing in Tassie against a Tasmanian team. Not having to sacrifice MCG games based on the whims of money-grubbing entities. And in Brisbane's case, our sizeable Victorian fanbase once again has to catch a flight if they want to see their favourite team live.

Yep ol 2 stars has small man's syndrome trapped inside a Sumo suit and the other one is one of those awful super opinionated women you meet at the Wheatsheaf Hotel and just avoid through sheer hideousness in attitude, personality, smell and looks.

Runs a business that relies a bit on tourism so it’s fair enough that he prefers it the way it is. You only have to look at the reduction in seats for tourists when Richmond played there. Less seats equals less tourists which affects the bottom line. So it’s perfectly understandable.

As for her. Well most likely an ex Tasmanian that wants the place to fail at every opportunity to justify leaving.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd paint a picture of the difference between the AFL and Football Australia (FA). Last night I attended a school committee meeting at my sons school and the soccer season was on the agenda.
The school committee organises all of this. I asked if they needed help purchasing any equipment as I had done this recently for my sons footy club saving them a heap of $$ by going direct to Burley.
The response was amazing "we get sent balls from FA to use for training and games, last year we ended up giving one to each kid to try and get rid of them. There's still more in the school basement", they are also supplied uniforms (tops only) through FA.
That alone tells the story of what is happening down here in the junior space. AFL clubs live in hope (as does the state) that the AFL will step up and help the game at it's lowest levels, while the FA is actively supporting juniors.
North or the Hawks up north might give a nominal training session when they come down, but it is far too late in the season to recruit kids.
The introduction of an AFL team will help to pull the kids back to the game, but as it stands there is no one pushing or pulling save for a couple dozen of committed parents who struggle to deal with the issues within their own club let alone across a junior league.
Personally, I'll keep supporting Freo as I don't want to waste 25+ years of emotional input and I hope we win a flag (one day), but my respect and interest for the game as a whole has really taken a hit with this and I wouldn't be alone.
The AFL need to realise that by having the letter 'A" in their name that they need to take the good with the bad when controlling the game on a national level. Hobart might not be a sexy opportunity such as Sydney or GC (or China or NZ), but we nonetheless have a contribution to make based on the history of the game in the state and that shouldn't be ignored by the AFL.
Unfortunately it is.

Interim to what?

The AFL/Gil say they'll take 12 months to read the report.

Its all supposition after that. FIFO?, TasTeam? SFA?

S
Just thought I'd paint a picture of the difference between the AFL and Football Australia (FA). Last night I attended a school committee meeting at my sons school and the soccer season was on the agenda.
The school committee organises all of this. I asked if they needed help purchasing any equipment as I had done this recently for my sons footy club saving them a heap of $$ by going direct to Burley.
The response was amazing "we get sent balls from FA to use for training and games, last year we ended up giving one to each kid to try and get rid of them. There's still more in the school basement", they are also supplied uniforms (tops only) through FA.
That alone tells the story of what is happening down here in the junior space. AFL clubs live in hope (as does the state) that the AFL will step up and help the game at it's lowest levels, while the FA is actively supporting juniors.
North or the Hawks up north might give a nominal training session when they come down, but it is far too late in the season to recruit kids.
The introduction of an AFL team will help to pull the kids back to the game, but as it stands there is no one pushing or pulling save for a couple dozen of committed parents who struggle to deal with the issues within their own club let alone across a junior league.
Personally, I'll keep supporting Freo as I don't want to waste 25+ years of emotional input and I hope we win a flag (one day), but my respect and interest for the game as a whole has really taken a hit with this and I wouldn't be alone.
The AFL need to realise that by having the letter 'A" in their name that they need to take the good with the bad when controlling the game on a national level. Hobart might not be a sexy opportunity such as Sydney or GC (or China or NZ), but we nonetheless have a contribution to make based on the history of the game in the state and that shouldn't be ignored by the AFL.
Unfortunately it is.

I heasr the FA subs are extortionate though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a big difference between playing games in Tassie to help fill the coffers of Hawthorn and North as opposed to playing games there against the local team at their home ground.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it is.
Well said. Thanks for the incite.
The ignorance of the vfl is astonishing.

Unfortunately it is.
It is a well known that some Football (soccer) Clubs across Australia charge absolutely ridiculous amounts for juniors to play. I would not be holding the FA as the paragon of junior systems.

State government will financially guarantee the team and provide ongoing sponsorship of $11m. What other club has that sort of backing???

Papi meeting with Gil on Friday.
There's probably some arrangement where Gil and the exec get to pocket a percentage of advertising revenue which they won't get it the Tas gov are directly funding it.

Ahh right, of course you'd know more about my friends and family than I would :$.

Fairly well established by now that many young people leave Tasmania (largely for work) but you can pretend otherwise if you like.
I literally couldn't care less where you live, sorry. But, great that you moved somewhere you like. Awesome!

Re-read the post I responded to.

I'd take a drive down the Great Ocean Road over dealing with an airport any day. But you are right, I probably could go to Tasmania just as easily. The reason I don't is because the other cities are more interesting to me (and less depressing, FWIW).

I'm sorry if you're offended by this, but there's no reason to be sensitive about it.
You probably know 2 people and converted that to "a whole lot". I'm also calling that out as BS because one personal anecdote doesn't count as an argument. You can't generalise a whole population on a few people you met. That's lazy and misrepresentative. You also clearly haven't been here for a while, because it's ticking along pretty well these days. Young people everywhere! And going to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road - seriously? That's like 10+ hours of driving. Not much different to getting on the Spirit of Tas with your car. I'd rather go to the airport. Proximity argument is dead in the water, I'm afraid.

My main issue with what you're saying is you're presenting your personal feelings, based on how you subjectively felt in two different cities, as accepted fact - and recruiting dubious anecdotal statistics about your nebulous group of friends to try to add credibility to it. That sounds like you're injecting some personal sensitivity into it yourself, perhaps? Yeah I know, you couldn't care less...etc. But you do have a track record of emotional hyperbole on a range of subjects so sensitivity shouldn't be on your exclude and reject list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back