Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arguably - it should have been here by now (missed opportunity)
I think the A League should have been in Tassie yesterday. Massive opportunity missed by the FA. Should definitely be apart of the next A League expansion (along with Canberra).

There's probably some arrangement where Gil and the exec get to pocket a percentage of advertising revenue which they won't get it the Tas gov are directly funding it.

Don't know if Gil is bright enough to be that corrupt.

Certainly Andrew seemed to be, except in his latest job. Really sloppy with the money laundering at Crown. ;)

Don't know if Gil is bright enough to be that corrupt.

Certainly Andrew seemed to be, except in his latest job. Really sloppy with the money laundering at Crown. ;)

The corruption and ineptitude of the Victorian State Government has been a sight to behold. The AFL, as a ministry of the Victorian State Government has just followed suit. Why should anybody be surprised?

You come up with some extremely strange arguments

As opposed to 'it's not for profit, therefore it must throw money at Tas?'

I'm just pointing out that a not for profit has no obligation to spend money where you want them to.

They would lose a lot of Government largesse & sponsors & community support doing that sort of stupid thing. So in reality they wouldn't.

Its a very hypothetical point you make so not worth arguing over. After all they used AFLX to promote & develop their brand, that went well!!!!

The AFL now know the spotlight is on. Premier Gutwein is a bit tougher than they're use to. Reason being its in the Mainland media. Gils really thick behaviour has put it their.

The AFL are use to a subservient local press. They love this sort of spat, so they'll highlight it.

Good!

So we'll see what comes.

That's a completely different argument to their not for profit status though. I assume you abandoning that argument means you acknowledge it's crap? Or are you just retiring it until you think people forget it's bullshit and you roll it out yet again like you usually do?

Yes, it's in the mainland media....It's pre season, they're desperate for content. I'm sure you've seen some of the 'stories' they give time and space to during such times. This is right up there with the new hairstyle of player X, or that player Y has really stepped it up on the track.

Let's see how many column inches it gets in a month's time.

That's a completely different argument to their not for profit status though. I assume you abandoning that argument means you acknowledge it's crap? Or are you just retiring it until you think people forget it's bullshit and you roll it out yet again like you usually do?

Yes, it's in the mainland media....It's pre season, they're desperate for content. I'm sure you've seen some of the 'stories' they give time and space to during such times. This is right up there with the new hairstyle of player X, or that player Y has really stepped it up on the track.

I try not to abuse others arguments but for your above dribble & trying to verbal me, I'll do my best not to an exception :).

Bugger it!

Your shrill rubbish is pretty stupid. Its in the media NOT because its preseason goosey, Its CURRENT news. Its the AFL's fault its current news. Gil could have made statements in December. Maybe he was snorted out ready for xmas?

I bet their next meeting will get more inches than your use to seeing.

I don't "support a Tasmanian AFL side", at least not in the sense you seem to mean it.

I'm open to the idea.
I'm open to looking at arguments, for and against, and evaluating them.
I'm open to looking at the bigger picture and determining where a Tas side might fit into that.
I'm open to looking at hard facts.

What I'm not is blindly accepting of one viewpoint to the total exclusion of all others. Sadly, that's what you seem to think is required here.
You did at one stage, I clearly remember you stating it.

It's clear that you oppose a Tasmanian side, and that's fine - you just need to admit it. Not pretend you are sitting on the fence and open/objective as per the italicized comments.

And you ARE blindly accepting of one viewpoint - that is no Tasmanian AFL side. Your posting history on the subject is evidence of that.

Why you are so opposed to the concept, and totally obsessed with it as well (I'd love to know how many posts you have made regarding the topic over the years) - well that's still a mystery.

So you are still far from being genuine in your position on this subject, but you are making slow progress. You will get there.

As for me, yes, it should happen and I make no apologies for that view. I come from Tasmania. My love of the game started there. The state has been a major contributor to the game for a long time. They can make a sound and solid business case for a team. It's only a corrupted AFL that now is only interested in the AFL competition (and even then, only as a business and not a sport - see two paras down for all they care about) - who are the problem.

I therefore see people such as yourself as those who mirror the AFL's poor approach - reduced care for the game itself, its history, its heritage, the fact that it is played at various levels and standards in all sorts of places around the country and overseas. Reduced respect for the areas which have contributed to where the game is now (hello Tassie) and thinking that really all that matters now is the AFL competition.

And even worse, thinking that any growth in the size of the AFL competition should be based on "growing the game", "expansion into new areas", "building the supporter base", "increasing TV viewership numbers", "making money", etc - all of which cuts out putting a team into an existing heartland like Tassie, because those indicators have not been ticked to your satisfaction, despite the heartland concerned (as I said) putting forward a solid business case.

Last edited:

its in the media as the business plan provided by the Tasmanian government will take another year for the AFL to review even though they have had it for over a year already.
Gutwein called bullshit last week, this is why it is the news.

I am not a fan of the expansion right now, but Tassie deserve a whole lot better than what the AFL and Gil have dished up.
Tassie was once a state that delivered great footballers to the then VFL.Check out some of the great names.Some Brownlow winners, others leading goal kickers.Many who were just great players.
The AFL have bled Tassie dry, they have broken a system, that for many many years produced a great number of great players.Now Tassie does not have a second tier competition.
Tassie has been fed on Victorian clubs that struggled for finance,They bled the Tasmanian government dry.They have been fed on teams that have struggled for success.Yes I know that Hawthorn have had great success, but part of that has come from the ride they had from Tasmania.
I am not a Tasmanian, but I feel sorry for real football followers from down there that they are being short changed by the AFL.
Football, as Tasmanians knew it has been torn apart by arrogance from the AFL.
Keep up the fight Tassies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not a fan of the expansion right now, but Tassie deserve a whole lot better than what the AFL and Gil have dished up.
Tassie was once a state that delivered great footballers to the then VFL.Check out some of the great names.Some Brownlow winners, others leading goal kickers.Many who were just great players.
The AFL have bled Tassie dry, they have broken a system, that for many many years produced a great number of great players.Now Tassie does not have a second tier competition.
Tassie has been fed on Victorian clubs that struggled for finance,They bled the Tasmanian government dry.They have been fed on teams that have struggled for success.Yes I know that Hawthorn have had great success, but part of that has come from the ride they had from Tasmania.
I am not a Tasmanian, but I feel sorry for real football followers from down there that they are being short changed by the AFL.
The AFL has ****ed the game in Tassie.

The game was healthy before the AFL got its grubby little fingers involved in the game down there.

It's been all downhill since then.

And you've got people here adopting the AFL's position regarding the state. Just shameful.

Tbh, because the AFL neglecting the state for years, I question if Tassie is even considered an AFL state anymore. I mean, it may still be the most popular sport there, but nowhere near the level as WA & SA from what I can tell. I mean, Tassie is lucky to have more than one kid drafted a year, and if they are drafted they're mostly late/rookie picks. Tassie used to produce a good amount of quality footballers consistently, and now it's completely dried up. It's probably in a worse state than QLD & NSW right now, and I fear they won't be able to fix it. I hope that regardless of whether or not they're given a team anytime soon, they introduce some sort of academy or scholarship system (similar to the NSW scholarship system that required each club to sign one player on a scholarship, that was in place before GWS came in) just so we can get some more tasmanians on AFL list again.

I get that the AFL want to expand, but they could've added GC & GWS anytime, and the ceiling of what they could achieve and chances of success would be the same, whereas with Tassie, the clock was always ticking down cause people got tired of being neglected. Had the AFL acted 20 years ago, it would produce quality AFL footballers regularly (without academy aid) and probably have a strong state league that is taken as seriously as the VFL, WAFL, SANFL. It could probably even of had two teams back then. All hope for that is gone now, and I feel that best case scenario is just one team, the state produces a similar number of AFL players as the northern teams with academy aid, and their reserves would need to play for VFL, WAFL or SANFL, cause the TSL is not at the same level.

The AFL has ****ed the game in Tassie.

The game was healthy before the AFL got its grubby little fingers involved in the game down there.

It's been all downhill since then.

And you've got people here adopting the AFL's position regarding the state. Just shameful.

I think the real reason is that the AFL grew out of the VFL, expanded via growing TV need for content & thus media rights exploded.

Footy on TV combined with social change, weekend work, weekend shopping, other sports pushing for attention etc etc.

Through all that the AFL spread to WA, SA, NSW & Qld. So even if the local comp lost out to AFL on TV or live, the state had an AFL club to attract attention.

Tas suffered from those social changes too. Plus the rise & dominance of AFL footy on TV. At the same time Media Ownership has become more concentrated & focussed on Melbourne & Sydney. Even the ABC has been forced by Government cuts to pull back from the regional/rural coverage it use to apply to local sports.

But Tas never got an AFL club with which to balance out its losses. A team which would spend time promoting itself in the community.

Under the cover of Covid 19, the AFL has slash its already paltry investment in the Tas state competition, by another 50%. & eliminated the Womens state competition from which they just recruited girls into the AFLW!!!

They support the 18 boys & girls elite program. After that, if not drafted, they have to go to the other states to get noticed from now on.

So if we don't get a team which to inspire & to excite interest in the game at all levels, the game of Aussie rules footy here is pretty well rooted.

The one way traffic will continue & will continue to diminish.

I think the real reason is that the AFL grew out of the VFL, expanded via growing TV need for content & thus media rights exploded.

Footy on TV combined with social change, weekend work, weekend shopping, other sports pushing for attention etc etc.

Through all that the AFL spread to WA, SA, NSW & Qld. So even if the local comp lost out to AFL on TV or live, the state had an AFL club to attract attention.

Tas suffered from those social changes too. Plus the rise & dominance of AFL footy on TV. At the same time Media Ownership has become more concentrated & focussed on Melbourne & Sydney. Even the ABC has been forced by Government cuts to pull back from the regional/rural coverage it use to apply to local sports.

But Tas never got an AFL club with which to balance out its losses. A team which would spend time promoting itself in the community.

Under the cover of Covid 19, the AFL has slash its already paltry investment in the Tas state competition, by another 50%. & eliminated the Womens state competition from which they just recruited girls into the AFLW!!!

They support the 18 boys & girls elite program. After that, if not drafted, they have to go to the other states to get noticed from now on.

So if we don't get a team which to inspire & to excite interest in the game at all levels, the game of Aussie rules footy here is pretty well rooted.

The one way traffic will continue & will continue to diminish.
Yes, I'm fully aware of the social changes which have affected the game - and you are right, the AFL can't be blamed for them. (I was playing footy after school from 76 onwards in Launny & Deloraine).

But again, as you said, they should be fully held to account for not trying to protect the health of the game from the impact of those changes.

Yes, I'm fully aware of the social changes which have affected the game - and you are right, the AFL can't be blamed for them. (I was playing footy after school from 76 onwards in Launny & Deloraine).

But again, as you said, they should be fully held to account for not trying to protect the health of the game from the impact of those changes.

Considering they are a part of that change, & they have helped to balance out the negative effects of that change, in other places. They could have done much better here.

Its almost like they wanted to destroy the game here for short term gains for Hawks & North. What else could it be?

Considering they are a part of that change, & they have helped to balance out the negative effects of that change, in other places. They could have done much better here.

Its almost like they wanted to destroy the game here for short term gains for Hawks & North. What else could it be?
And don't forget that the Saints spent time down there.

My worry is the sport is on life support currently, another team have folded today in the NW.
Should it be put into palliative care or can it be rescued???

This is the worry. Great damage has been done by neglect.

The hope of a national team might be the lifeline that will save the sport in Tasmania.
One thing you can rely on... that is that Gill will not bail you out.
If the WAFL and SANFL don't watch out they will do the same thing to them as well.
What they,the AFL, should consider as allies, are treated like enemies.
The WAFL and SANFL also the VFL provide the majority of players for the AFL.I am bemused by the AFLs attitude.

The AFL can't tell us that the money's not there for a Tasmanian team. It's just not fair to say "we can't afford you because we need your money to prop up our Victorian clubs".

If you add a Tasmanian team to the league, you're only adding three games into the Tasmanian market, but you're also adding eight games back into the Melbourne market, which is the part that the AFL would be concerned about. North were in all kinds of trouble before they came to Tassie. The Saints want into Tassie because they're in similar trouble now.

It's not fair that we just get used by the AFL to make ten teams in Victoria viable and we mustn't stand for it any more.

The AFL can't tell us that the money's not there for a Tasmanian team. It's just not fair to say "we can't afford you because we need your money to prop up our Victorian clubs".

If you add a Tasmanian team to the league, you're only adding three games into the Tasmanian market, but you're also adding eight games back into the Melbourne market, which is the part that the AFL would be concerned about. North were in all kinds of trouble before they came to Tassie. The Saints want into Tassie because they're in similar trouble now.

It's not fair that we just get used by the AFL to make ten teams in Victoria viable and we mustn't stand for it any more.
Tassie is just an ATM to the "keeper of the code".

The Malbun market can't afford it. Dictator Dan knows this. That is why he sends Frau Telsor and Cheif propagandist Oberleutenat Wookie to spread misinformation.
If the AFL says they can't afford Tassie, what they really mean is that they can't afford 10 teams in Vic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back