Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Status
Not open for further replies.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
An AFL team would increase awareness in the community and thus sponsorship.

Would be a major boost to the local economy also with 40 odd players earning between 120k and 900k then maybe 20/30 coaching and fitness staff earning between 100k and 500k 15 or so admin/social media/membership staff earning between 60/80k

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Tassie premier is aiming low with his ambit. Go for your own team plus north or hawthorn playing home games. 13 weeks in a 19 week season if that's how it eventuates. Keep all three and its every week.

That way they have AFL football most weeks in the season, and better to fund a great stadium
When has he said this? Pretty sure he wants North and Hawks out and Tassie to come in in 2025

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
When has he said this? Pretty sure he wants North and Hawks out and Tassie to come in in 2025

Pretty sure most want that. The only ones that wouldn’t is the AFL & North. They’d end up with needing a few extra dollars and the AFL will have to pick up the tab. The Vic government will not let north die, they’ll want to keep them for some of the reasons tassie wants a side. For them it’s about their economy which due to COVID has a 6.5 billion dollar deficit so it’s pretty important for the Vic government to.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Pretty sure most want that. The only ones that wouldn’t is the AFL & North. They’d end up with needing a few extra dollars and the AFL will have to pick up the tab. The Vic government will not let north die, they’ll want to keep them for some of the reasons tassie wants a side. For them it’s about their economy which due to COVID has a 6.5 billion dollar deficit so it’s pretty important for the Vic government to.
Wouldn't make sense for North to stay if we had our own team. Their crowds would be awful.

I don't think the fans want to stay in Tassie. They want to play all of their games in Melbourne, but they either don't show up or don't exist, which makes that very hard.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Wouldn't make sense for North to stay if we had our own team. Their crowds would be awful.

I don't think the fans want to stay in Tassie. They want to play all of their games in Melbourne, but they either don't show up or don't exist, which makes that very hard.

They’re filler for the big Victorian clubs. Allows an extra away game. If there’s no north they lose that away game. Helps the vic economy and saves the AFL a few dollars. Like I’ve said the ones that really want the status quo to stay as it is is the Victorian government, the AFL & North. It’s nothing about helping local tassie footy, footy clinics or development down there or what Norths fans really want and all about dollars for the those three entities. Gutwien has lifted the veil and it’s funny watching the AFL try to paint up an old sow up as Christmas lunch.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I meant from Tas football.

WA & SA clubs make profits which are distributed to the state league.

Tas team will require money that would have gone to the lower levels (government sports funding) to continue existing.

So do GWS, GC, StK, NM, Melb FC's all take money away from lower levels? Do Hawks & North in Tassie?

You've made some valid points in the past.

You're post is garbage. I suspect you must know that too.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

They'd get no Government handouts for a start.

As much as Jeff 'loves' the place, that alone would end the story. ;)

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Ive watched a decent amount of games up there. The wind chill factor is 10/10. You freeze. I did a few cricket clinics up there in summer as a kid n it was pretty cold even then. The location is the best location for transport, restaurants & nightlife’s imo but most older people like to be in comfort these days. It’s why my brother down there won’t go to local footy “I’m not sitting on wooden bench seats freezing my ass off”. I will say though on a nice sat arvo I’d agree it’s the best location.

Should have been a full study into all the locations at the time to see which one should have been prioritised for redevelopment going forward. The media put a few ideas up a few times but nothing concrete by the government. Kent pushed the Showgrounds redevelopment pretty hard. Petty local politics destroyed it imo.

at the time I’d imagine the choices would have been TCA, North Hobart(sentimental I’d say), Bellerive, Showgrounds, KGV & Brighton. Like madmug has said Bellerive was a terrible decision to redevelop that place. No off street parking, no room for an enlarged foot print, no restaurant strip, no nightlife, terrible for public transport, no accommodation close by etc if you’d been doing a feasibility study Bellerive would have come in last. At least Brighton had easy access for people coming from the north of the state.
It is the perfect spot for Hobart’s main stadium. And plenty of room. Just need to get past the National Trust. The 1890s Heritage listed stand and Ladies stand are behind the goals and could be incorporated into the design. Much like the SCG.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
It is the perfect spot for Hobart’s main stadium. And plenty of room. Just need to get past the National Trust. The 1890s Heritage listed stand and Ladies stand are behind the goals and could be incorporated into the design. Much like the SCG.

I don't know if you ever went up to the TCA when it was the main cricket ground. The parking is limited. The Queens domain is mainly bushland reserve. Access is limited. It doesn't suit big crowds. Even for the Tennis. (2k for the Moorilla Open Tennis)

Back in the day, the option was bus to the city then walk up the hill. A bugger to stagger back to the city after :) Not much fun on a bad winters day.

People, families, oldies don't walk up hills these days.

I still think the logical option is to redevelop KGV. Access to rail (if it ever recommences) Bus mall, Main Road, Highway, Bowen Bridge. Plenty of close by parking (DEC, Showgrounds, Elwick racecourse etc).

Showgrounds would have been perfect, but Bunnings & some new development has pretty much ended that option.

Mac point would be great, just bloody expensive.

NH Oval expansion as looked at 40 yrs ago would have been great too. Hobart City Council too stupid then, & now. ;)

Anyway, IMO. :)

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney

Madmug pretty much summed it up in his post plus like I said it’s bloody cold when it blows up
There in winter. Like I said Showgrounds was the perfect option and I agree atm it’s probably kgv. The old days of just going to a game is disappearing. You need the full entertainment package. Decent meal before the game, not maccas lol, or close to entertainment after the game. Plus close public transport. Bellerive offers none of that it’s a terrible place to get into and out of and basically nothing close that you could do before or after the game unless you call Eastlands entertainment.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
NH Oval expansion as looked at 40 yrs ago would have been great too. Hobart City Council too stupid then, & now. ;)

Anyway, IMO. :)

I always believed that’s why elite sports walked away from anything close to the cbd. The HCC were and probably still are impossible to deal with. Basketball, football & cricket knew that redevelopment had to happen for their chosen sport to move forward & it was never going to happen with the HCC so Hobart ended up with the two main sporting stadiums, Bellerive & DEC, outside the cbd.

I always believed state governments should have stepped in and made it a matter of state significance and been able to bypass the HCC.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
I always believed that’s why elite sports walked away from anything close to the cbd. The HCC were and probably still are impossible to deal with. Basketball, football & cricket knew that redevelopment had to happen for their chosen sport to move forward & it was never going to happen with the HCC so Hobart ended up with the two main sporting stadiums, Bellerive & DEC, outside the cbd.

I always believed state governments should have stepped in and made it a matter of state significance and been able to bypass the HCC.
I doubt the southern wing could’ve been developed at NH. Subiaco had similar issues. The people across the road would have been in shadow for most of winter.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
I doubt the southern wing could’ve been developed at NH. Subiaco had similar issues. The people across the road would have been in shadow for most of winter.

Subiaco was the stadium that was given the green light for redevelopment. But it wasn’t Subiaco oval as you know it. It would be part of Kitchener park that made up the redevelopment that the Taskforce chose led by chairman John Langoulant. When liberal were voted in they changed it to Burswood.

NHO proposal was that it was offered the land that next to the wing, a long long time ago, I think it was a blind & deaf school at the time. HCC refused to buy it. Then later buy up housing to enlarge the footprint. My grandfather was on the North Hobart committee & explained a bit to me when he was alive. Not just what was in the media.

I will say I agree under a proper taskforce type look at it it wouldn’t have got up but it would be one of the sites looked at just like East Perth power station was looked at in WA. That’s why I added it in. Just like Brighton, it’d be part of the discussion but wouldn’t get up.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

Yes, but I don't think that was a 'thing' back then.

Mac Point with a stadium & indoor venue (27k & 6k) would have been brilliant, but it takes imagination.

Its like the cable car issue now. All the garbage about 'pristine' & 'heritage' is just crap. The mountain has cars & diesel busses spewing smog going up & down that crowded road. It has walking & bike tracks crisscrossing all over it, (No doubt pizzing all over it). Huge TV towers on top since the 1960's. Just ultra dumb to not want to reduce the increasingly dirty & dangerous traffic congestion on it. We nearly got cleaned up last year by tourists who didnt read the traffic direction signs at the top!

(Steps back quietly off soap box :))

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney

Mac Point with a stadium & indoor venue (27k & 6k) would have been brilliant, but it takes imagination.

Its like the cable car issue now. All the garbage about 'pristine' & 'heritage' is just crap. The mountain has cars & diesel busses spewing smog going up & down that crowded road. It has walking & bike tracks crisscrossing all over it, (No doubt pizzing all over it). Huge TV towers on top since the 1960's. Just ultra dumb to not want to reduce the increasingly dirty & dangerous traffic congestion on it. We nearly got cleaned up last year by tourists who didnt read the traffic direction signs at the top!

Oh let’s not talk about the cable car, I think I could be here all day talking about the so called “environmentalist” 😂😂😂

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

what annoys me the most about the cable car is the misinformation going around by the anti's. And the fact that it is the HCC who is in charge. You get the GCC or the CCC involved in the actual running of Hobart, things might change in the middle of the city. But no, can't build this, can't build that. According to HCC, the welcome bloody stranger is a heritage building. Anyway.....

Mac point would be perfect but HCC. Never going to happen with those nancies around. Perhaps there is a chance with KGV with the new redevelopment of the close by DEC. Build the appropriate infrastructure around there to share plus Glenorchy next door. But I can't see the government spending any new money when Bellerive has had a lot spent on it already.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
what annoys me the most about the cable car is the misinformation going around by the anti's. And the fact that it is the HCC who is in charge. You get the GCC or the CCC involved in the actual running of Hobart, things might change in the middle of the city. But no, can't build this, can't build that. According to HCC, the welcome bloody stranger is a heritage building. Anyway.....

Mac point would be perfect but HCC. Never going to happen with those nancies around. Perhaps there is a chance with KGV with the new redevelopment of the close by DEC. Build the appropriate infrastructure around there to share plus Glenorchy next door. But I can't see the government spending any new money when Bellerive has had a lot spent on it already.

I agree, we're stuck with Bellerive. Nice facility, stupidly built next to a beach & in a small village area. A nightmare to get near with any crowd over about 5k.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I agree, we're stuck with Bellerive. Nice facility, stupidly built next to a beach & in a small village area. A nightmare to get near with any crowd over about 5k.
C'mon mate, don't be like that. One thing I've noticed after moving here is the Tasmanian aversion to walking. For Hurricanes games I've always parked in Bellerive village and never had a problem getting a park.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
C'mon mate, don't be like that. One thing I've noticed after moving here is the Tasmanian aversion to walking. For Hurricanes games I've always parked in Bellerive village and never had a problem getting a park.

I don’t think getting a park is such an issue but getting out of the area when it’s gridlocked with cars and busses and foot traffic is

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t think getting a park is such an issue but getting out of the area when it’s gridlocked with cars and busses and foot traffic is

The question is asked, & the answer is given!!

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I live in the Glebe and it takes me 10 minutes instead of 5 normally to get home. It could be better but almost no one in Perth, Melbourne, Sydney or Adelaide is getting home in 10 minutes.
A ferry from the yacht club into the city would be fantastic. In 30 minutes you could be in Salamanca.
It's as good a reason as any to get that service running.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I live in the Glebe and it takes me 10 minutes instead of 5 normally to get home. It could be better but almost no one in Perth, Melbourne, Sydney or Adelaide is getting home in 10 minutes.
A ferry from the yacht club into the city would be fantastic. In 30 minutes you could be in Salamanca.
It's as good a reason as any to get that service running.

Sounds good but most people can't just walk to the ferry. They have to drive.

Same problem, where to park.

The Cricket people said the same thing when promoting the growth of Bellerive Oval.

They never addressed the obvious problem of getting to & from the ferry terminals.

Also how many Ferries operate? Not many!!

Reason is as above. So they aren't a sensible option for most people, especially families & oldies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back