Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The bigger question is whether Gold Coast and GWS can be self sustaining.
Define self-sustaining. If it's about membership, then yes they can, if they have decent results over a long period of time (at least 20 years). Years on end of being garbage is not going to win them a lot of support though, which is why the AFL had to intervene with the Suns and give them a rescue package. Despite this, both the Gold Coast and Western Sydney are booming in terms of juniors playing Australian rules, so given another generation and no long periods of ineptitude, they will get plenty of members.

If it's about attendances at games, both of them have a serious issue that's out of the AFLs hands: their catchment areas have poor transport connectivity in general, and especially to their home stadia. This will be improved for the Giants in a decade when a metro line is built directly connecting Homebush to Parramatta, at which time Parramatta will be a light rail hub also. The Suns are not as fortunate, since a light rail extension to Carrara seems to be well down the list of government priorities, and the long-promised ferry service still hasn't manifested. So I can see the Giants selling out every game by the early 2030s, provided they don't suck, whereas the Suns will find it tougher.

No one seriously advocates getting rid of the Swans or the Lions, because they've been around for decades now, have both had periods of success recently and have decent connectivity to their stadia. Although there were whispers about their viability when they had sustained periods of ineptitude (early 90s in Sydney's case, mid 2010s in Brisbane's). An even better example is the Melbourne Storm, who have some of the highest crowds in the NRL despite being in AFL territory, because they've had almost constant success for 25 years and an easily accessible stadium. If they can do it, the Suns and Giants can too.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So for the people who were asking whether young people are migrating to Tasmania or not, this blog post has your answer.

It covers the period between June 2018 and June 2019. The short version is, Tasmania still had a net loss of 15-24 year olds to other states, but it was a smaller loss than in the previous ten years. And the losses were more than made up for by the number of 15-24 year olds immigrating from overseas, making an overall net gain of young people. So there's plenty of young people around, just not ones who grew up in Australia. When the pandemic is over and they allow overseas immigration again, Tasmania will be fine.

Jul 29, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Bombers, SA Spurs, Browns and Eels
SA QLD and WA are all covid safe, all far far better than Tas you muppet.
Nice opinion that you seem really intent on telling people. The thing is that everyone here recognises that you had a bad time in Tasmania once.
Bad luck, move on. Tasmania will have a team soon.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nice opinion that you seem really intent on telling people. The thing is that everyone here recognises that you had a bad time in Tasmania once.
Bad luck, move on. Tasmania will have a team soon.

Everyone can also recognize you always ignore the point and go after the man.

Also, define soon.

SA QLD and WA are all covid safe, all far far better than Tas you muppet.

Did Peter Gutwein * your girlfriend or something? Why does the slightest mention of our island state make you see red?

Jul 29, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Bombers, SA Spurs, Browns and Eels
The best part about all of this is the sheer amount of noise that is being made, whether you're for or against the cause.
Tasmanian footy is becoming very hard to ignore, something has to be done and the AFL know it now.
There are always going to be the naysayers of "oh, there's not enough people in Tasmania to support a team". But deep down anyone who knows this place, knows there's no state more passionate on a per-capita basis about Aussie Rules.

At the end of the day, the AFL have made a real mess of the developmental side of footy down here, a generation or maybe more has been lost.
The State Government is trying to fix the mess because the AFL does not believe it can gain anything from Tasmania having a team.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Hypothetical - If Tasmania had exclusive rights to Tasmanian players and had a team (positions as examples only) in 2020:-

B:- J Howe, J Kolodjasnij, J Webster
HB:- G Birchall, L Jones, A Pierce
C:- M Robinson, H Greenwood, A Hall
HF:- L Weller J Riewoldt, R Fox
F:- B Mihocek, B Brown, H Dixon
R:- Nankervis, L Weller T, T Thomas
I:- A Phillips, C Jones, T Bellchambers
Lol

I’ve travelled extensively throughout Australia, the UK, Europe and the US (and never been on a contiki tour!)

The allegation was Tassie won’t be able to retain players.

They will - clubs the world over do it in “less than glamourous” locations. You do it with a culture of success and winning.
Agree.
E.g. Green Bay Packers and Leicester come to mind.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I was laughing at the person who said Tasmania would be perfect for a hub because the players would like it more than Melbourne.

Personally id like to see Tassy get a team in 6-10 years if there's strong population and economic growth.

Tasmania IS dull and cold BTW, when compared to Sydney Melbourne Perth ect, why do you keep arguing that? It has charmes if you enjoy the quiet country life, but that's not what most people under 30 want.
Hobart is a s**t ton better place than Leicester or Green Bay and those teams seem to go ok in leagues far more competitive than the AFL.

If this lifestyle theory had any weight the Gold Coast would win the flag every year.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They are killing off the lower grades in other states too.
Really? Where, and how are they killing it off?

I also wonder what the state of the game is in other areas of Australia outside the AFL, I would also be interested to know what the financial investment and profit/loss is for the GCS, GWS and AFLW.

Could someone be kind point me into the right direction where I could find profit and loss on the above 3 plus what did the AFLX cost in the end?
Wouldn't have a clue about AFLX, but the financials thread is here.

As a thought experiment, look at their arguments sometime and substitute a regional area/town in Vic/WA/SA....Take Bendigo for example...If the vast majority of their 'arguments' would still apply (history of great players, decline in recent years/decades, supposed AFL neglect), then it's stuff adding an AFL team wont help with....Yet this is generally the core of their argument.
Except you're overlooking a key part of the argument - Tasmania has a significant population. Five times the population of Bendigo. And they were growing at a solid clip before the pandemic. That's what separates them from any regional town in the heartland states. And they like Australian rules, unlike any bigger population centre still without a team. All the other arguments are built on top of this premise.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Art, Fashion, Music, Culture, Food, Retail.

Support for live music is a big one for me. Many international acts- and a few national festivals that I can think of- bypass Tasmania entirely. Tassie has some great boutique festivals: Dark Mofo, Mona Foma, Rose quartz, and a few great venues and communities pushing live music but it's a tiny scene compared to Adelaide let alone the rest of Australia.

Support for the arts is great in Adelaide too. There's some lovely exhibition spaces, their galleries are awesome, there's loads of great designers and artists working there + there's massive festivals like the Adelaide Fringe, the Adelaide Fashion festival etc. For a city of it's size it punches well above it's weight.

They're the major things. Tassie might have the edge as far as camping/hiking/nature go but they're not interesting to me personally.

Fine. I'm a bit old for the Falls festival here, the folk festival at Cygnet is more my style these days. :)

Falls seems to attract many from here & the mainland.

Also the Taste Of Tas festival. I love that over the new year period. Its especially good with all the yachts from Sydney, Melbourne & L'ton races are in. Its a fantastic time here. A lot of street entertainment goes with that. Its all free to watch & wander about the boats. Food, Beers & wine isn't cheap, but again, you spend as little or as much as you want.

Mona is like a permanent festival anyway. Its normally open 6 days a week. It changes themes regularly. They have all sorts of music 'on the green'. Also their own wine & Beer!! Its always been a winery going back decades before Mona. The place is amazing.

The Salamanca area has exhibitions in the long room. Art etc.

We don't seem to have a lot Fashion Shows here. Fashion shows aren't me anyway so I wouldn't know if they had any . ;)

Fringe festival sounds good. I think I'd love that.

Anyway I think Hobart does ok for the 'alternative' stuff.

Not so much for the mainstream entertainment stuff. Its said with the massive redevelopment of the DEC stadium for basketball that it'll be more attractive for other uses. Attracting more International stuff in future. I hope so.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Tell me why Tasmania has the smallest and oldest population of all the states, please.
Tasmania has a population that can sustain a footy team . It is an island state which has its ups and downs. Growth has been slower but this does not mean its population cannot sustain a footy team.
again you are looking for an argument that is not relevant to the issue of having s footy team in Tasmania like your “its dull, its chilly, people to old, melbourne is a better hub :tearsofjoy: ”, yet you dont say what the minimum number of population is required to have a footy side.

You are not sincere in your discussion and just continue with your negative trolls , this has been your form on BF . You offer nothing to the discussion but just take pleasure from being negative.
Why dont you try and contribute for a change.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Fine. I'm a bit old for the Falls festival here, the folk festival at Cygnet is more my style these days. :)

Falls seems to attract many from here & the mainland.

Also the Taste Of Tas festival. I love that over the new year period. Its especially good with all the yachts from Sydney, Melbourne & L'ton races are in. Its a fantastic time here. A lot of street entertainment goes with that. Its all free to watch & wander about the boats. Food, Beers & wine isn't cheap, but again, you spend as little or as much as you want.

Mona is like a permanent festival anyway. Its normally open 6 days a week. It changes themes regularly. They have all sorts of music 'on the green'. Also their own wine & Beer!! Its always been a winery going back decades before Mona. The place is amazing.

The Salamanca area has exhibitions in the long room. Art etc.

We don't seem to have a lot Fashion Shows here. Fashion shows aren't me anyway so I wouldn't know if they had any . ;)

Fringe festival sounds good. I think I'd love that.

Anyway I think Hobart does ok for the 'alternative' stuff.

Not so much for the mainstream entertainment stuff. Its said with the massive redevelopment of the DEC stadium for basketball that it'll be more attractive for other uses. Attracting more International stuff in future. I hope so.
Mona's one of my favourite galleries in the world; I've stayed at the pavilion there.
Tassie will only get better, IMO it's improved massively in the last few years as it is.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tell me why Tasmania has the smallest and oldest population of all the states, please.

Every place is a result of History.

Islands with small populations in particular are prone to lose their young to bigger centres.

Melbourne got its start through the Gold rush. Once that happened it attracted a population & been growing ever since, except for now of course.

So in a nutshell, without Gold the population spread in Australia would have been much different.

Obzerva

Team Captain
May 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does the North/South divide still exist in Tas or is this from an old era?

well you can pretty quick tell well someone’s from by whether it’s a Boags or a Cascade in there hand.

as someone who goes back there a bit, I’d say I think it’s there, but not as prominent as it used to be.

one thing I do notice though, when the Big Bash is in Launceston, it’s all about “Tasmania’s team”, and they’re just referred to as the Hurricanes, the word Hobart does seem to be conspicuously absent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back