Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
It also says most of those young people are foreign students - temporary arrivals that in reality have no impact on the viability of a Tasmanian AFL team.

The reality is that Tassie has the highest median age in the country, and over the last 20 years it's blown out from 36 to 42. The national median age is currently 37. I wouldn't use a demographic argument if you're trying to justify a Tassie team.

Tas Uni report a 14% increase in domestic student enrolments for 2021. Local & a large increase in interstate enrolments

Melbourne is projected to have 400k less people than originally forecast by the end of 2022.

The 0-14 age group in Tasmania not much different to Victoria. Its something like 17.7% to 18.2%. So not a lot.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
From the middle originally, and don't drink either (as both are not inspiring at all - in fact, both are rubbish). Plenty of good craft beers instead (T-Bone as an example) and very partial recently to the Moo Brew Single Hop.

Funnily enough, did uni in Hobart where Boags is plenty available. Worked in Launceston where Cascade is incredibly rare to find. Lift your game North!

I find Boag's XXXX and Cascade Lager to be refreshing beers, really effortless drinking. Things like T-Bone are a real effort to drink, too hop-heavy and unpleasant for me.
But I understand I am not craft beer aficionado like many my generation. I am glad these beers/breweries exist though, great for Tasmania!
I do enjoy Tassie scotch on the other hand.

Love the grog talk aspect of AFL footy. Hahaha!!

Back in the day when working a bit interstate, I found it easier to get Cascade Pale Ale on tap in Sydney than Launceston.

I think the availability of packaged beer has probably changed all that with the big bottle shops like Dan Murphy's.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Tas Uni report a 14% increase in domestic student enrolments for 2021. Local & a large increase in interstate enrolments

That wouldn't surprise me given I suspect generally more Tassie students study interstate than vice versa, and of course most of those students for 2021 will stay home. Combined with more domestic places available at most Australian universities due to the collapse of international student numbers I don't think those numbers would shock anyone.

Melbourne is projected to have 400k less people than originally forecast by the end of 2022.

Yeah I assumed that was always going to happen. Melbourne relied a lot on overseas and interstate migration for it's population growth and that's going to have completely dried up (possibly for years). All the population growth projections pre-2020 will have gone out the window. Makes that soccer team whose economic case was based entirely around property sales on the Melbourne fringes a very marginal prospect (if it wasn't already).

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
That wouldn't surprise me given I suspect generally more Tassie students study interstate than vice versa, and of course most of those students for 2021 will stay home. Combined with more domestic places available at most Australian universities due to the collapse of international student numbers I don't think those numbers would shock anyone.

Yeah I assumed that was always going to happen. Melbourne relied a lot on overseas and interstate migration for it's population growth and that's going to have completely dried up (possibly for years). All the population growth projections pre-2020 will have gone out the window. Makes that soccer team whose economic case was based entirely around property sales on the Melbourne fringes a very marginal prospect (if it wasn't already).

Yes it certainly has. I think the tree/sea change will continue to regional place & Tasmania.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Papi Gutwein is the most popular premier we've had for a long time.

Good on him for standing up to the AFL. I've been saying for years that I'd rather have no footy than to keep propping up Victorian clubs while we get no closer to having our own team.

The AFL could really do with the government's money right now, so this might just work.

AFL returns serve.

We will still play games in Tasmania without Tas govt funding.

Bit of a slap in the face TBH.

Personally if I was Tasmania I'd say 'great'. We will take the funding and promote a true State of Origin second tier carnival in the off season and other AFL type events without involving you.

Two can play that game.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
AFL returns serve.

Personally if I was Tasmania I'd say 'great'. We will take the funding and promote a true State of Origin second tier carnival in the off season and other AFL type events without involving you.

Two can play that game.
Works well for Tasmania. Save $8 million.

Not sure the clubs will be overly keen to play in Tassie for peanuts. I'd say it probably means no more Hawthorn with maybe the two poorer teams in North and Saints heading down for whatever the AFL offers them.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
AFL returns serve.

Two can play that game.

I strongly doubt the Tas Gov would start a turf war over this issue. Its hard enough getting the AFL to talk without going straight to DEFCON1!!

Both sides might want to cool down a bit. The AFL because of the media exposure. Arrrgh! the sunlight burns!!! Sorry Gil ;)

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Works well for Tasmania. Save $8 million.

Not sure the clubs will be overly keen to play in Tassie for peanuts. I'd say it probably means no more Hawthorn with maybe the two poorer teams in North and Saints heading down for whatever the AFL offers them.
The AFL doesn't need to give a team anything, they just schedule them there. It will be a weak club because they don't have the leverage that the bigger clubs have.

Melbourne got nothing for playing home games in the NT, AFL just scheduled them there because the AFL wanted a game there. Melbourne then had to make the best of it and spend money trying to find commercial partners, and work with local communities.

The AFL has now decided they want to increase the zone that the Suns can take players from, so they have stopped scheduling the game for Melbourne and replaced it with the Suns.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
The AFL doesn't need to give a team anything, they just schedule them there. It will be a weak club because they don't have the leverage that the bigger clubs have.

Melbourne got nothing for playing home games in the NT, AFL just scheduled them there because the AFL wanted a game there. Melbourne then had to make the best of it and spend money trying to find commercial partners, and work with local communities.

The AFL has now decided they want to increase the zone that the Suns can take players from, so they have stopped scheduling the game for Melbourne and replaced it with the Suns.
Wow I didn't realize the AFL could do that. Doesn't seem fair on the clubs at all.

AFL returns serve.

Two can play that game.
Huge win for Gutwein here, very well played. The bigger picture is State Government finances that will visibly come under incredible pressure as the full cost of COVID comes to light and they have to do something. Having funding for the AFL teams out there will be very unpopular among the whole population and nixing this will create the perception of resolve (or actual in fact) which has long been a criticisms of the sitting government.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It also says most of those young people are foreign students - temporary arrivals that in reality have no impact on the viability of a Tasmanian AFL team.
Bold of you to assume they're all temporary. Graduating from an Australian university gets you a big advantage when applying for permanent residency.

The reality is that Tassie has the highest median age in the country, and over the last 20 years it's blown out from 36 to 42. The national median age is currently 37. I wouldn't use a demographic argument if you're trying to justify a Tassie team.
Ask yourself why the median age is relevant. Do people suddenly stop watching AFL when they retire? A growing population is a growing population regardless of their average age, so I don't know why you're making sweeping statements about the demographics not favouring a team. I believe age was only brought into the discussion in terms of whether there are enough young people hanging around Hobart to make it an attractive place for other young people, so Tasmania's median age is irrelevant, only Hobart's median age is relevant, and that's 39.6. Still higher than the median, but far closer, meaning there are still plenty of young people, and as has been proven, there was a positive net migration of young people before the pandemic.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wow I didn't realize the AFL could do that. Doesn't seem fair on the clubs at all.

It’s why they won’t let the Saints go under anytime soo

They have us by the nuts with the debt guarantee so we will go wherever the AFL tells us to go - Cairns, Alice Springs, Tassie, even *ingg China.

Hopefully the Saints playing in Tassie means a reasonable offset in debt as a quid pro quo.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

99% sure the NT Govt chips in about $250k per game to the 'home team' who schedules their game there.

Definitely were paying Melbourne to play here.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I strongly doubt the Tas Gov would start a turf war over this issue. Its hard enough getting the AFL to talk without going straight to DEFCON1!!

Both sides might want to cool down a bit. The AFL because of the media exposure. Arrrgh! the sunlight burns!!! Sorry Gil ;)

If the Tasmanian govt isn't happy with game development in Tas by the AFL why shouldn't they do something about it themselves?

It is most definitely the kick up the backside the AFL need TBH.

AFL House are arrogant fat cats with both eyes firmly looking at their own bonuses. Doing what is best for the game and the country is not their focus, they pay lip service to that but that is all.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
It’s why they won’t let the Saints go under anytime soo

They have us by the nuts with the debt guarantee so we will go wherever the AFL tells us to go - Cairns, Alice Springs, Tassie, even *ingg China.

Hopefully the Saints playing in Tassie means a reasonable offset in debt as a quid pro quo.
Yeah I suppose the AFL "having you by the nuts" is better than them treating you like they did Fitzroy though. If you factor in inflation, your debt is actually higher than theirs when the AFL knifed them, so let's hope Ross Oakley doesn't get his old job back!

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah I suppose the AFL "having you by the nuts" is better than them treating you like they did Fitzroy though. If you factor in inflation, your debt is actually higher than theirs when the AFL knifed them, so let's hope Ross Oakley doesn't get his old job back!
The size of the debt is less important than the ability to pay it back. I don't doubt St Kilda's revenues are also higher than what Fitzroy's were after inflation.

If the Tasmanian govt isn't happy with game development in Tas by the AFL why shouldn't they do something about it themselves?

They can't, really. Yet another reason why we need a governing body for the sport that is separate from the largest league in the country.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Say what? Melbourne is paid by the NT, underwritten by the AFL.

Melbourne signed a deal in 2019 to play in Alice Springs until 2024. The Suns will play in Darwin.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good luck to them. It's time. At some point the league needs to stop putting dollars ahead of absolutely everything and do what's good for the game and the people that support it.

I'd also add a 3rd team in Perth to round it out to 20.
Unfortunately for Tassie it's always money first for the AFL
Perhaps it time for "Actions speak louder than words" and then perhaps the AFL might take notice

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Love the grog talk aspect of AFL footy. Hahaha!!

Back in the day when working a bit interstate, I found it easier to get Cascade Pale Ale on tap in Sydney than Launceston.

I think the availability of packaged beer has probably changed all that with the big bottle shops like Dan Murphy's.

I always found it weird that the second biggest seller in Tasmania is XXXX Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back