Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this even an AFL call? Surely it's up to Hawthorn and North whether they want to play home games down there if they're not getting paid for it. I know the AFL run the fixture, but I doubt they're going to drag teams kicking and screaming. Not home teams anyway.
Not their call, but they can make things very difficult. Dead timeslots,low drawing games at home, big drawing games away, etc.

Last time this reared its head was 2014. Coming off a premiership you'd expect a few big games, instead it was mostly Sunday twilight home games, and a opening Rd game in tassie instead of the mcg

Cost of living is a bit of a moot point.

Some items of food etc etc are dearer. Petrol is a rip off, but most people drive less here than Bigger cities. Less time commuting means more time for other activities.

Housing prices have skyrocketed over the last 20 years in a number of boom periods. I know a house in North Hobart was 180k in 2003. Its worth about $700k+ now. Plenty over $1mil.Outer areas haven't increased as much but are starting to catch up. The current lack of housing stock is making life hard for a lot of people. Still the prices are a fair bit less than Syd/Mel.
That’s because people still want to live in the city. I paid 180k for my first house which I sold 3 years ago for not much more. Hobart prices are insane at the moment. You can buy 3 houses in Burnie, Ulverstone or Devonport for the price of 1. With similar travel time to what AFL players are used to in Victoria. Takes 45 minutes from Devonport. It can take that time to get from the Derwent entertainment centre into the city of Hobart.

Its also a business that exists to generate cash for its clubs, its the whole reason the commission was created in the first place. And yes, its run on private money.

Its obligations do not extend to putting teams in places it doesnt want to.

Its not a private business ok. Private businesses don't get tax exemptions.

Perhaps they don't have to put clubs anywhere they don't want to. So what. They change their policies, ideas & rules all the time.

Also, they are susceptible to media exposure/pressure & community perceptions.

So nothing is set in stone. certainly not Gil's job.

Just how much can change remains to be seen, but at least we'll get a decision at some time.

In the meantime People will be watching to see what BS they come out with, so will the media, politicians, sponsors etc.

Sponsors are becoming far more socially aware & active. So who knows what they'll come up with & when,

Its not a private business ok. Private businesses don't get tax exemptions.

Perhaps they don't have to put clubs anywhere they don't want to. So what. They change their policies, ideas & rules all the time.

Also, they are susceptible to media exposure/pressure & community perceptions.

So nothing is set in stone. certainly not Gil's job.

Just how much can change remains to be seen, but at least we'll get a decision at some time.

In the meantime People will be watching to see what BS they come out with, so will the media, politicians, sponsors etc.

Sponsors are becoming far more socially aware & active. So who knows what they'll come up with & when,

It certainly ain't a private business. Its an arm of the Victorian State Government.

I havent seen the AFL itself whinging about the shrinking participation or afl players or shrinking revenue from Tassie. IVe seen plenty of others whine about it though.
If the AFL dont see a future of tassie they just need to say so , tassie can then place there focus elsewhere.
At the moment the AFL have been fence sitting to maintain that focus without commitment And they have got away with it.
Gutwein is a tad stronger and is happy to make a stand.

If the AFL dont see a future of tassie they just need to say so , tassie can then place there focus elsewhere.
At the moment the AFL have been fence sitting to maintain that focus without commitment And they have got away with it.
Gutwein is a tad stronger and is happy to make a stand.
Didn't Fat Andy say that under his watch there wouldn't be a AFL club?

That’s because people still want to live in the city. I paid 180k for my first house which I sold 3 years ago for not much more. Hobart prices are insane at the moment. You can buy 3 houses in Burnie, Ulverstone or Devonport for the price of 1. With similar travel time to what AFL players are used to in Victoria. Takes 45 minutes from Devonport. It can take that time to get from the Derwent entertainment centre into the city of Hobart.

I don't know where you lived but even Burnie house prises are rising. So to Launceston.

Hobart property market is still on fire. Amazing rises are still happening.

Maybe you sold too early?

I havent seen the AFL itself whinging about the shrinking participation or afl players or shrinking revenue from Tassie. IVe seen plenty of others whine about it though.
That's because they don't care.

Footy in Tassie could die completely and they wouldn't care.

"The Keeper Of The Code". Lol.

Its also a business that exists to generate cash for its clubs, its the whole reason the commission was created in the first place. And yes, its run on private money.

It's obligations extend to ensuring the overall health of the game. Or is there another body charged with that responsibility that we are all not aware of?

And it is failing in that regard, because it has become so AFL competition/making money/expansion obsessed that it's happy to let existing areas (eg Tassie) and lower level competitions either struggle or rot.

The further issue is that it has brainwashed many followers - including you, who I thought was smarter - into its line of thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 stars has a weird hard on for the AFL.
The Wookie is another telsor.

They say they support a Tasmanian AFL side yet spend all their time talking the concept down.

Their views aren't worth the time of day in this discussion because they aren't genuine.

If you support the concept, argue accordingly.

They say they support a Tasmanian AFL side yet spend all their time talking the concept down.

Their views aren't worth the time of day in this discussion because they aren't genuine.

I don't "support a Tasmanian AFL side", at least not in the sense you seem to mean it.

I'm open to the idea.
I'm open to looking at arguments, for and against, and evaluating them.
I'm open to looking at the bigger picture and determining where a Tas side might fit into that.
I'm open to looking at hard facts.

What I'm not is blindly accepting of one viewpoint to the total exclusion of all others. Sadly, that's what you seem to think is required here.

The AFL isn't BHP FFS.

Its a 'not for profit' organisation which has a tax free status.

Its not run on 'private' money like Murdoch press or KFC..

it has obligations.

It Touts its community credentials.

Too much talk the talk from Gil. Lets now see some 'walk the walk' for a change.

Yes, it's obligated to not pay dividends, and to use it's revenue to promote and develop the game as it sees fit.

If it decides that the best use of it's funds means not spending another cent in Tas for the foreseeable future, and instead directing those funds to promote the game in Zimbabwe, then that doesn't change it's tax free status one iota.

Sure, people and politicians might complain, but at the end of the day, it's the AFL's call.

Yes, it's obligated to not pay dividends, and to use it's revenue to promote and develop the game as it sees fit.

If it decides that the best use of it's funds means not spending another cent in Tas for the foreseeable future, and instead directing those funds to promote the game in Zimbabwe, then that doesn't change it's tax free status one iota.

Sure, people and politicians might complain, but at the end of the day, it's the AFL's call.

They would lose a lot of Government largesse & sponsors & community support doing that sort of stupid thing. So in reality they wouldn't.

Its a very hypothetical point you make so not worth arguing over. After all they used AFLX to promote & develop their brand, that went well!!!!

The AFL now know the spotlight is on. Premier Gutwein is a bit tougher than they're use to. Reason being its in the Mainland media. Gils really thick behaviour has put it their.

The AFL are use to a subservient local press. They love this sort of spat, so they'll highlight it.

Good!

So we'll see what comes.

Is growing the game not part of there obligations because it definitely is not growing in Tasmania quite the opposite

You come up with some extremely strange arguments

Sweet personal anecdote, just a shame the fact's disagree with you and agree with me.

Young people, in general, do not want to live or visit Tasmania, everyone knows this and yet you people keep fighting it?
How useful, somebody who doesn't live in Tasmania claiming knowledge of Tasmania. You've lost all credibility to comment on Tasmania with your comments because you are trotting out old stereotypes and you are not interested in challenging those assumptions with updated facts.

Wouldn't the lack of a functioning salary cap in the EPL contribute to their success and player retention?

As for the US- I think many would disagree that New York, LA and Chicago are the only decent cities.

Yeah I know a few people who have moved to Adelaide recently, in part because it's got a thriving arts community. I don't know anyone whose moved to Tassie but I know a whole lot of people who left.

Adelaide's a brilliant city, way more interesting than Hobart and (obviously) much more accessible to the other major cities like Melbourne/Sydney too.
Mate, that's a huge load of BS and you know it. You don't know a whole lot of people who left Tasmania. It's amazing how often people who have a biased opinion just make crap up to bolster it. For the record, I moved to Tasmania 2 years ago and I couldn't be happier with my decision. Hobart and Adelaide are both nice places with a lot to offer. Setting a trumped up rivalry between Adelaide and Hobart is simply unnecessary. As for the accessibility to Melbourne/Sydney - that's BS too. Few people drive between capitals for travel. People fly. The flight times are pretty much the same.

The number of vic posters? Which is irrelevant anyway seem to number in the few. Wouldn't you agree?

The chip on the shoulder, regardless is about the inequity of the comp for current non vic clubs, not about Gutwein sending an ultimatum to HQ, y'know the thread at hand. Was never debating the 'inequities', or an imbalance of fans per club - maybe your comment should be directed at those posters, not me.

Hopefully this forces a position of clarity from HQ

Anyway play on.
Every interstate fan saying the same thing.

Every Victorian fan saying the same thing.

Premier was on SEN just now. Acknowledged the efforts of Hawthorn and North to a certain extent, but it hasnt helped the local footy, in fact its in an emergency situation.

So Hawks and AFL need to consider how this has gone wrong.

Personally I see a lot of Hawthorn effort, but not the AFL backing. Handing the academy and AFLW to North without them proving they were up to it is typical.

Also if as clarko suggests, they go to 20 teams, the teams will then play each other once, so tassie would then get 9 or 10 games, just one or two more than before.

The premier also said the teams which have come recently have been 'poorer' clubs, and identified these as 12 which arent 'strong'

Presuming his strong teams are Collingwood Hawthorn Richmond Eagles

While all of hawks opponents have coem from the latter group, they have played eagles, port, brisbane, sydney while they were strong teams

Wookie at least tries to justify their reasonings.

Telsor makes up their mind, even when ignorant to the facts, and stubbornly backs it in non-stop with opinion even when faced with facts.
Ive contemplated blocking bullies and trolls before. But Telsor is the only person I have even contemplated blocking for the sole fact his/her opinion is excruciatingly annoying as they constantly argue and argue in never ending circles wasting time and effort with their bias, unfactual opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back