Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Malbun market can't afford it. Dictator Dan knows this. That is why he sends Frau Telsor and Cheif propagandist Oberleutenat Wookie to spread misinformation.
I've got to admit, the content and relentlessness of those two's posting on this subject makes them suspiciously look like AFL propagandists.

If the AFL says they can't afford Tassie, what they really mean is that they can't afford 10 teams in Vic.
If they wanted a team in Tassie, they would find a way to make it work.

It's clear that they don't want one though. And are happy to see the game go down the gutter in an AFL heartland as a result.

"The Keeper Of The Code".

My worry is the sport is on life support currently, another team have folded today in the NW.
Should it be put into palliative care or can it be rescued???

This is the worry. Great damage has been done by neglect.

The hope of a national team might be the lifeline that will save the sport in Tasmania.
Yes, I saw that - and East Devonport fought so hard to stay in existence. It's so very sad.

The Malbun market can't afford it. Dictator Dan knows this. That is why he sends Frau Telsor and Cheif propagandist Oberleutenat Wookie to spread misinformation.

I know your having a bit of fun but in all seriousness the Victorian economy can’t afford anything atm

“Victorian government had recorded an operating deficit of $6.5bn compared with a forecast surplus of $600m in the last financial year.”

Still think GWS was a really dumb idea.

Yes there is a large population in western Sydney..so what?

Large population in Bangladesh too.
Doesn't mean U rush to set up a business there.

I think GC was the step too far by Dumitriou. Thats the one which could/should have waited.

GWS is certainly a big area. 4-5x the size of the GC, so that makes sense. May as well have started in 2009 as any time.

I'm still amazed that areas like Sydney & SEQ have the same number of clubs as Perth, our 2nd biggest footy market!

Its just not logical. IMO.

I'm certainly not confident about ARF in Tassie. I'm happy to see the AFL taken to task over this. This issue won't go away anytime sooner, or later. Its about time they were exposed for what/who they are. Imitation corporate pretenders. Taking the historic game & using it as if they own it.

The ball is in Gils court, he's 'fumbled the ball' already on a few occasions. (mixed metaphor :)).

All the Tassie Premier has to do is convert one of the arenas to a rectangle....or have a convertible one like Stadium australia then sell the motors...in rectangle mode

Still think GWS was a really dumb idea.

Yes there is a large population in western Sydney..so what?

Large population in Bangladesh too.
Doesn't mean U rush to set up a business there.

GWS have a decent number of members, and huge population bedded in Western City to accommodate natural growth and interest in the game. Also a decent number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation migrants who aren't rugby league followers and are open to following AFL by default. It's a bit like the Western suburbs in Melbourne - plenty of people who'd identify as Bulldogs supporters but haven't made the membership investment. Over time supporters will be converted, and if there's success for the club member numbers could really skyrocket.

GWS have a decent number of members, and huge population bedded in Western City to accommodate natural growth and interest in the game. Also a decent number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation migrants who aren't rugby league followers and are open to following AFL by default. It's a bit like the Western suburbs in Melbourne - plenty of people who'd identify as Bulldogs supporters but haven't made the membership investment. Over time supporters will be converted, and if there's success for the club member numbers could really skyrocket.
This is pie in the sky imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is pie in the sky imo.

Hardly - they've had an increase of almost 20k since their introduction into the league (11k in 2011 to 30k in 2020) despite mild success and no premierships.

Not bad in less than 10 years.

GWS do a hell of a lot of work promoting the game in schools in the Western Surburbs, and they'll reap the benefits in another decade's time when those kids turn to AFL rather than taking up rugby. They've also got a decent following in Canberra, with a number of Ex-pat Vics taking residence in ACT etc.

Their model is arguably more sustainable than the Sydney Swans (and they've got a much larger academy zone to continue developing the game), and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them overtake their membership numbers in the coming years.

I think GC was the step too far by Dumitriou.
Gold Coast would've been a lot easier to make successful had North taken the deal to move. Needed that extra fan base in Melbourne to get them going. Their membership number are dire.

If there were to be a reduction of Melbourne teams a Fitzroy/Bears style "merger" between Gold Coast and a weaker Melbourne team (North probably still is the best option) would be the best way to solve three problems at once.

1. Reduce the number of teams in Melbourne
2. Strengthen the Gold Coast
3. Provide an opening for Tassie without going to 19 teams

The biggest barrier is North not wanting to go, and the AFL not wanting to force anyone out.

Gold Coast would've been a lot easier to make successful had North taken the deal to move. Needed that extra fan base in Melbourne to get them going. Their membership number are dire.

If there were to be a reduction of Melbourne teams a Fitzroy/Bears style "merger" between Gold Coast and a weaker Melbourne team (North probably still is the best option) would be the best way to solve three problems at once.

1. Reduce the number of teams in Melbourne
2. Strengthen the Gold Coast
3. Provide an opening for Tassie without going to 19 teams

The biggest barrier is North not wanting to go, and the AFL not wanting to force anyone out.

as has been stated by another poster, tongue in cheek I might add, the AFL is an arm of the Victorian government. Once you realise that you’ll see through so many announcements and decisions it will almost be enlightening. E.G the new east coast league being named the VFL. The Vic government will always want their brand imprinted on as much as they can.

The AFL/Vic gov will never let a Melbourne club disappear ever again like Fitzroy did.

One thing you can rely on... that is that Gill will not bail you out.
If the WAFL and SANFL don't watch out they will do the same thing to them as well.
What they,the AFL, should consider as allies, are treated like enemies.
The WAFL and SANFL also the VFL provide the majority of players for the AFL.I am bemused by the AFLs attitude.
The WAFL and SANFL aren't allies to the AFL, they're two organisations that stand in the way of the AFL controlling football in SA and WA. If those two groups fall over, then the AFL can come in and create AFL-SA and AFL-WA.

as has been stated by another poster, tongue in cheek I might add, the AFL is an arm of the Victorian government. Once you realise that you’ll see through so many announcements and decisions it will almost be enlightening. E.G the new east coast league being named the VFL. The Vic government will always want their brand imprinted on as much as they can.

The AFL/Vic gov will never let a Melbourne club disappear ever again like Fitzroy did.

Look how much Vic State govt money is funneled into AFL infrastructure through the newly formed out of thin air AFLW. They have their tentacles in everything. The Victorian State Government redirect the corrupt and illegal money they get from the Crown to Sporting and specifically AFL Infrastructure. How many Vic clubs depend on Pokies Revenue? Pokie Taxation is a huge money spinner for the corrupt Vic State Government. The AFL are addicted to that gravy train. The Vic State Govt hold the purse strings. Gill answers to Dan and Marty. Maybe the AFL doesn't want to be as corrupt and biased as they are, but their hands are tied. We were heading down the pathway to a more equal and balanced league before Vlad, another beacon of integrity, got a tap on the shoulder and announced a Royal Commission into the plight of Victorian Football after 6 years of "interstate" dominance.

The self dubbed "Sporting Capital" is not organic. It is Vic Govt policy.

Hardly - they've had an increase of almost 20k since their introduction into the league (11k in 2011 to 30k in 2020) despite mild success and no premierships.

Not bad in less than 10 years.

GWS do a hell of a lot of work promoting the game in schools in the Western Surburbs, and they'll reap the benefits in another decade's time when those kids turn to AFL rather than taking up rugby. They've also got a decent following in Canberra, with a number of Ex-pat Vics taking residence in ACT etc.

Their model is arguably more sustainable than the Sydney Swans (and they've got a much larger academy zone to continue developing the game), and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them overtake their membership numbers in the coming years.
How do you measure success?
Crowds - Swans yes. GWS crowds have not increased and may never get beyond NRL level of 12k - 15k
Membership - Yes for both
TV ratings - No for both. This may never change.
Participation - big yes to both.

GWS is a slow burn. But necessary and worthwhile for AF.

Don’t think it’s over yet rumour has it Melbourne storm will be signing on a large deal to play two home games in Tasmania from 2022
Reckon this, soccer and basketball coming to Tas will increase the chances of an AFL team. A couple of other things happening this year also won’t hurt.
Brisbane will get the 2032 Olympics which gets the Lions a shiny new 60k Gabba by 2031 without the AFL contributing a cent.
NRL likely to announce a new Brisbane team bid year and there will be lots of media around how much of a boost this will give the NRL in its heartland. AFL can trump that as the only truly national comp with a team in every state.

If the AFL says they can't afford Tassie, what they really mean is that they can't afford 10 teams in Vic.

Well that a total croc of sh!t when the Tassie govt is going to cover $11m a year.

How many expansion sides have had $11m per annum support from the state government?

I would suggest............none.

it’s basically the history of the VFL all over again. The WCE/Freo are the wafl, Ade/Port are the sanfl, tassie are used as a farming ground, northern clubs are there for media revenue & the Melbourne club get to contest the GF on the the old run down painted up tart. With all the talent and revenue funnelled to the Melbourne clubs. In all seriousness what’s changed because if you look at it this way the VFL got what they wanted. The destruction of the SANFL/WAFL competition with a down grade to local clubs. And the VFL has continued as is with the pretend changing of the V to an A.
Look how much Vic State govt money is funneled into AFL infrastructure through the newly formed out of thin air AFLW. They have their tentacles in everything. The Victorian State Government redirect the corrupt and illegal money they get from the Crown to Sporting and specifically AFL Infrastructure. How many Vic clubs depend on Pokies Revenue? Pokie Taxation is a huge money spinner for the corrupt Vic State Government. The AFL are addicted to that gravy train. The Vic State Govt hold the purse strings. Gill answers to Dan and Marty. Maybe the AFL doesn't want to be as corrupt and biased as they are, but their hands are tied. We were heading down the pathway to a more equal and balanced league before Vlad, another beacon of integrity, got a tap on the shoulder and announced a Royal Commission into the plight of Victorian Football after 6 years of "interstate" dominance.

The self dubbed "Sporting Capital" is not organic. It is Vic Govt policy.

AFL and Tassie really going to me to toe.
Yesterday, A-League games announced for Tassie, today the AFL cancels next week’s Hawks v North game.
This is really getting ugly.
I grew up on AFL, watched and played. But can tell you now I have more chance of getting my kids to an A League game than AFL - this is pretty telling.

Not surprised to hear Tony Cochrane saying the AFL needs to consolidate another 10 yrs or so at least before more teams are added.

I wonder if that coincides with his approach when wanting Gold Coast and GWS in?

I have to say had one of those been deferred in favour of Tassie, Tassie would be established now. Much better than either team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back