Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apathy is the death of many a venture. It has lacked the fiscal and spiritual input to drive it.
The North South divide has not been the issue in the last 6 years. Truly, footy is on life support here. It is well beyond fighting amongst themselves. Teams fold every year and we all know it is like a another nail in the coffin Regardless of where it is.
If the AFL continue to show lack of interest in the game in Tassie the people there will show less interest in AF as a whole and switch there interest to sports that show interest in Tassie. It's that simple

If Tassie don't want to come to the party, get their act together, is it worth it?

If they are going to keep bickering, then why bother, how about helping themselves 1st, stupid idea, i know.
Let’s see how country footy in Victoria goes without the input of ther AFL, it would die.

tassie will come to the table but it needs the AFL THERE TOO.
I dont see any bickering down here that is preventing footy growth.

But it was!!!!! :'(

:D
I was talking from a Carlton supporter's viewpoint of course.

I was there that day and, despite being absolutely nowhere near that incident, can categorically state - "the ball was in"!!!

If the AFL continue to show lack of interest in the game in Tassie the people there will show less interest in AF as a whole and switch there interest to sports that show interest in Tassie. It's that simple
City of Launceston announced a 206M upgrade of UTAS stadium in launceston today . This is part of the announcement .

There's certainly a lot of good news to talk about this month, with the Council's endorsement of the $208m UTAS Stadium Future Direction Plan something for us all to be excited about.

The proposed fully upgraded stadium and associated indoor sport and entertainment facility is expected to inject an additional $62 million a year into our economy, based on attracting events not currently hosted at the stadium such as NBL and A League games, large-scale concerts and one-off sporting and cultural events. The proposed governance model would also save the Council and its ratepayers millions of dollars annually.

Note the focus on “events not currently hosted at the stadium”
The state will move on, Tassie would love to remain an AFL state but it is sick of being played by the AFL.
Gutwein is strong leader who knows he is in a good place to make tough calls and still keep the support of all Tasmanians, I say that as a labour guy Too. He is impressive And will look elsewhere for sporting investment in the state.

City of Launceston announced a 206M upgrade of UTAS stadium in launceston today . This is part of the announcement .

There's certainly a lot of good news to talk about this month, with the Council's endorsement of the $208m UTAS Stadium Future Direction Plan something for us all to be excited about.

The proposed fully upgraded stadium and associated indoor sport and entertainment facility is expected to inject an additional $62 million a year into our economy, based on attracting events not currently hosted at the stadium such as NBL and A League games, large-scale concerts and one-off sporting and cultural events. The proposed governance model would also save the Council and its ratepayers millions of dollars annually.

Note the focus on “events not currently hosted at the stadium”
The state will move on, Tassie would love to remain an AFL state but it is sick of being played by the AFL.
Gutwein is strong leader who knows he is in a good place to make tough calls and still keep the support of all Tasmanians, I say that as a labour guy Too. He is impressive And will look elsewhere for sporting investment in the state.
York Park has certainly changed since I was going there in the late 60s/early 70s and it sounds like it will be changing even more. :)

Here is the full statement .

This plan aims to meet growing community needs and expectations in terms of contemporary sporting infrastructure, as well as to cater to the needs of a future AFL team," Mayor van Zetten said.

A 2019 report commissioned by the State Government stated that a Tasmanian AFL team will require access to a high-performance facility and an AFL-standard stadium capable of hosting 27,500 patrons.

The taskforce recommended the redevelopment of UTAS Stadium as the initial primary football venue in the State - but went on to state that the stadium will need to undertake upgrades to provide additional seating capacity.

"The AFL Taskforce report really is one of the key drivers of the Council Plan - to have a stadium capable of hosting high-profile games between powerhouse clubs capable of drawing crowds up to 27,500," Mayor van Zetten said.

York Park has certainly changed since I was going there in the late 60s/early 70s and it sounds like it will be changing even more. :)

Such a refurbishment & upgrade to UTas (YP) has been on the cards since the State Government started the application. It'll look great & its badly needed.

Bellerive oval is not suitable for such a change.

We've said for years that developing Bellerive like they did in the first place, was a stupid idea.

Better options were ignored by a few small minded people with no vision. They were told repeatedly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s see how country footy in Victoria goes without the input of ther AFL, it would die.

tassie will come to the table but it needs the AFL THERE TOO.
I dont see any bickering down here that is preventing footy growth.

Five sides in the south, two in the north and none in the north-west is not a good model for the TSL. So I would say that is one factor that is not helping footy growth.

Such a refurbishment & upgrade to UTas (YP) has been on the cards since the State Government started the application. It'll look great & its badly needed.

Bellerive oval is not suitable for such a change.

We've said for years that developing Bellerive like they did in the first place, was a stupid idea.

Better options were ignored by a few small minded people with no vision. They were told repeatedly.

Best option was the proposed Showgrounds that had Michael Kent of Woolworths pushing it along. Imo. Good location. Close to public transport. And close to the moonah restaurant strip and for younger people close to the bars & clubs of the city. Pity it didn’t get up. But suppose if it did Howard wouldn’t have funded Bellerive & York Park redevelopments. That ship has sailed with Bunnings taking over a huge chunk of the Showgrounds. Such a sliding doors moment.

The strong will survive and the weak will perish. I see the Brumbies losing a lot of potential fans to any new AFL team in Canberra.

GWS crowds have already been higher than the Brumbies' for a few years. I'd hope a full-time team would increase this further.

There isn't too much competition with the Super Rugby. Their season is over in June, so it's only a competitor for half a season anyway.

How many ' Traditional Aussie rules' states have seen state league clubs die or leave recently? WA? SA?

That's the thing though.

They're not really 'state leagues', no matter how they're named. They're capital city leagues.

I'm sure a 'Tas league' would be more robust if, like other states, ~70% of the population was in one city, and the league was entirely based there.

Tas is, in effect, more like a large country league with the travel, population base, and relatively low payments that can be sustained.

How many ' Traditional Aussie rules' states have seen state league clubs die or leave recently? WA? SA?
And you blame this on the AFL?

Clubs were in trouble in Tassie a long time before the AFL had any control.
The AFL put up a plan which was rejected, so don't come here and complain it's all their fault.

Most of the blame for everything should be directed towards the Victorian State Government. As the owner of the AFL their complete "Victoria First" strategy at the expense of integrity and fairness and wellness of the game is a disgrace.
Politicians from other states should be getting right behind the Tasmanian Premier to call out the State sponsored corrupt shitshow the AFL has become.

That's the thing though.

They're not really 'state leagues', no matter how they're named. They're capital city leagues.

I'm sure a 'Tas league' would be more robust if, like other states, ~70% of the population was in one city, and the league was entirely based there.

Tas is, in effect, more like a large country league with the travel, population base, and relatively low payments that can be sustained.

Spot on. And you can see it with the women's game in Tassie too. Only three clubs wanted to compete in the statewide league which led to its downfall, yet women's football is booming as evidenced by the southern league's expansion to 18 teams.

That's the thing though.

State leagues are the highest community standard.

Once the AFL took over as a 'national' league, the State leagues became a 2nd tear. Developing players, coaches, umpires. Providing the best coaching, training facilities they could.

They all got some funding to assist with that. It helped make up what they lost as the AFL got media & public attention & sponsorship.

SA & WA clubs were looking at $300-400k at one stage. Not sure about now.

TSL clubs got around $100k, thats now been slashed by about 1/2.

With a little care & a few more $bucks it would be alive & produce better players & prospective AFL level players & officials.

Travel would've been overcome with a better TSL model.

That simple really.

(Currently 2 AFL coaches are products of that system. It produced a lot of good people, gave them an opportunity to progress.)

Spot on. And you can see it with the women's game in Tassie too. Only three clubs wanted to compete in the statewide league which led to its downfall, yet women's football is booming as evidenced by the southern league's expansion to 18 teams.

The 'they didn't want to play TSL' was AFTER AFLTas withdrew the piddling amount funds they provided & unilaterally said the teams they pushed to start a TSLW a few short years ago, should now play in the regional competitions.

Those clubs did a lot with very little to get the standard up in womens footy. Now just a wasted effort.

Just listening to AFLTas will only give you their media friendly word. Not necessarily any actual facts. ;)

Coming up on 5 seasons since Tasmania has seen Test cricket, and 3 for any form of internationals. Longest drought in the 30+ year history of matches being played in the state. Instead CA, just like Taylor Swift and Pearl Jam or even the Socceroos and the Matildas, has prioritised the mainland capitals for premier events.

Second-tier leagues like the BBL and NBL find a home in Tassie as easily as undesirable Hawthorn v Gold Coast or North v GWS fixtures, yet this thread is littered with people pretending like it's only the AFL that views Hobart and Launceston as inferior to the major Australian cities.

Let me say this, if you keep blaming the AFL for the footy life being sucked out of Tassie footy, you will get no-where fast.

What a weird, thin threat lol

Maybe they will stay if they get an AFL team. It will be good for their economy.
Well theres 1.7 million people in South Australia.

I am suprised theres that much in SA. If Younger South Australians didnt flee the state to head to WA or the Eastern states after they complete their university or tafe courses, there would easily be 2 million or more here in SA right now.
19 teams offers no fixturing problems, we have been through that.
And how many Victorians of Freo’s list? I bet 15 - 20.
I did a good browse on Freos 40 player main squad and its 4-6 rookie players. Dead certain theres 15 victorians on that freo list. Theres 5-6 South Austrlians on the dockers list too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back