Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the Glenorchy area is changing quite a lot you will also have the redeveloped entertainment centre with the nbl based there soon as well as the future developments that’s planned on the surrounding land and future Mona expansions it’s also only 6km to Hobart cbd

To me it’s the way to go. It just make sense to use KGV.

Lol read the business case and stop talking crap.
Yeah righto mate.
I disagree. I speak to a lot of young people down there regularly, I’ll also be there for the GF, and they laugh at the old fellas & their north/south 1960’s stuff. It’s used as a political tool, as I’ve stated. The business case states what it’s going to be.it’s going to be a north/south split. There’s no way that will ever change, there’s to much money having the whole state involved than having half the population involved.

You sound like your from the north, my advice is stop listening to those local politicians they’re using scare tactics to get you thinking they’re the only ones that will look out for you. They’re not they’re looking after themselves. That’s what they’ve always done.

The older guys (50+) still go on about north v south, but heaps of younger people don’t care. Many go to uni at different ends of the state and travel back and forth regularly.

Every single time this has come up it's been said that the north/south thing is a load of crap, but when the whips start cracking it always crops up. If they build a new stadium in Hobart they will want all the footy.

These young people laughing at the old blokes need to remember that it's the old blokes that make all the decisions. I hope I'm wrong but it's one of those things that just keeps repeating.

Yeah righto mate.

Every single time this has come up it's been said that the north/south thing is a load of crap, but when the whips start cracking it always crops up. If they build a new stadium in Hobart they will want all the footy.

These young people laughing at the old blokes need to remember that it's the old blokes that make all the decisions. I hope I'm wrong but it's one of those things that just keeps repeating.
"Launceston would host and benefit from ‘blockbuster’ matches being played at an enhanced 27,500 seat UTAS Stadium. Due to its apparent limitations, Blundstone Arena would host smaller drawing AFL Clubs or games. Upon ‘proof of concept’, a longer-term aspiration should be a roofed, CBD-based ‘Adelaide Oval’ multi-purpose facility developed for Hobart to share all AFL content and opportunities with Launceston."

Yeah righto mate.

Your wrong. Anyone who runs a business will never alienate half their clientele. I’m one of these old blokes who grew up in tassie and left in my 30’s a fair while ago and a lot of us who left & who’s still there see these local politicians as just one big joke looking after only themselves. And these young people you speak about think the same, they’re also voters.

It only gets repeated by people on here that either have no understanding of how tassie is now or just want to stir up s**t. It’s been done to death & laughed at time & time again.

Your wrong. Anyone who runs a business will never alienate half their clientele. I’m one of these old blokes who grew up in tassie and left in my 30’s a fair while ago and a lot of us who left & who’s still there see these local politicians as just one big joke looking after only themselves. And these young people you speak about think the same, they’re also voters.

It only gets repeated by people on here that either have no understanding of how tassie is now or just want to stir up sh*t. It’s been done to death & laughed at time & time again.
Some of us have seen it happen time and again, and call me cynical, but I can't see something so ingrained disappear overnight.

Yeah righto mate.

I hope they learn from Cricket Tas's mistake. Worst thing they ever did imo was pull Shield cricket from Launny & Devonport.

I would think the games for a Tassie AFL side would be split between Hobart and Launny. It makes sense given that the population split I'd imagine would be roughly 50/50 between the North and the South (or maybe 40/60, I can't be bothered looking it up - anyway, enough to justify sharing venues).

Some of us have seen it happen time and again, and call me cynical, but I can't see something so ingrained disappear overnight.

Its gone. Only the oldies hold onto it. It’s part of their youth so can’t let it go. Sad really. The young travel, see Australia and don’t even think about it. It’s from a bygone era. It’ll die with the boomers

Yeah righto mate.

North/South divide is dead, and has been for a long time. The only real rivalry that still exists is beer related, and even that's just a bit of a laugh.

I'm 25 and have never heard anyone my age ever talk about it. It's more a thing that my parents went through, and even then Tasmanians of all areas were still united in their dislike of mainlanders.

Why then, if we're so united, do Launceston and Hobart have separate deals with different teams? Why don't Hawthorn and North Melbourne play two games each in both cities? Why is it a distinctly north/south approach?

Hobart didn't traditionally host AFL games, as it hosted the cricket. North opted to sell games to Hobart to help pay off debts.

Hobart didn't traditionally host AFL games, as it hosted the cricket. North opted to sell games to Hobart to help pay off debts.
That's what I mean, it all ostensibly comes under AFL Tasmania, but we have two separate approaches to it. I'm not saying that the north/south divide is insurmountable, just that it exists. I wish I shared your optimism about it. Either way, I'm sick of having games the two teams can't make any money out of in Victoria dumped on us, something that might be prevented with a more united approach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

E. Mc Guire expands on his Tas.19th team comments, in a 16 min. interview with SEN's D. Russel.

Last edited:
Ed’s Darwin idea is stupid. There’s pretty recent proof that an NT side is unsustainable based on the Thunder experience. Crowds collapsed.

Think an actual Canberra team has a much better chance of sustaining. 400k in Canberra + another 200k in the Capital region is far more functional.

I would think KGV would have similar issues to an extent as Bellerive oval being jammed in around suburban streets the only upside is walking distance to the bus mall and the rail line if it was ever to be put back into use

There is a lot more parking in a short distance of KGV than over at Boot Park. Local streets, Elwick racecourse, the DEC.

The Highway access, & as you say, the Bus Mall & as a stimulus to reinstate rail traffic. Also KGV is positioned to get a quick get away for the trip north to Launnie after a game for our northern 'cousins'. ;)

Even the cycleway for fitter fans is close by.

An inner city stadium would be preferable. But one needs to be reasonable as to what's actually realistic & achievable.

That's what I mean, it all ostensibly comes under AFL Tasmania, but we have two separate approaches to it. I'm not saying that the north/south divide is insurmountable, just that it exists. I wish I shared your optimism about it. Either way, I'm sick of having games the two teams can't make any money out of in Victoria dumped on us, something that might be prevented with a more united approach.

Neither North nor Hawthorn is Tasmanian, so as far as I'm concerned they're just two stadiums hosting AFL games for interstate clubs. Hawthorn targeted York Park to host games, and North wanted to sell games in Tasmania elsewhere.

These are the choices made by two Victorian clubs, and are not at all an example of the North/South divide.

I hope they learn from Cricket Tas's mistake. Worst thing they ever did imo was pull Shield cricket from Launny & Devonport.

I would think the games for a Tassie AFL side would be split between Hobart and Launny. It makes sense given that the population split I'd imagine would be roughly 50/50 between the North and the South (or maybe 40/60, I can't be bothered looking it up - anyway, enough to justify sharing venues).

Cricket had to centralise as the facilities needed for professional 1st class cricket made the 3 ground concept unsustainable.

The BBL, which doesn't need such infrastructure, has started to use York Park, & guess what? No one has batted an eyelid.

Like with a footy TasTeam, playing at YP & BRO would raise few eyebrows. It just makes sense to use both facilities.

The plan is to split the games between Hobart and Launceston. There has never been any talk of doing anything but that.

The plan is for a Hobart team that FIFOs into Launceston.

Nothing will be based in Launceston, just fly in for a few games. Apparently what is a huge insult for Tasmania as a whole is perfectly fine for Launceston. If they're lucky, they might even get an additional game or two!

The plan is for a Hobart team that FIFOs into Launceston.

Nothing will be based in Launceston, just fly in for a few games. Apparently what is a huge insult for Tasmania as a whole is perfectly fine for Launceston. If they're lucky, they might even get an additional game or two!
The team's not going to be called Hobart is it? It will represent the whole state and play games in both cities as the TASMANIAN Devils.

Comparing it to the North/Hawthorn arrangements is laughable. You've really run out of arguments against now haven't you?

Even Eddie McGuire is onboard now. Maybe it's time you came onboard too?

The team's not going to be called Hobart is it? It will represent the whole state and play games in both cities as the TASMANIAN Devils.

Comparing it to the North/Hawthorn arrangements is laughable. You've really run out of arguments against now haven't you?

Even Eddie McGuire is onboard now. Maybe it's time you came onboard too?

Oh, that's completely different.

Like how GWS is all about Canberra...except the 'Tasmanian' team wont even bother to put a few letters on their jumpers to acknowledge Launceston.

It'll all be about Hobart...

Tell me, do you think the team will speand more time in Launceston (in total) for 6 games than Hawthorn does for 4? Or will they be back on the plane so fast they'll do the post match events back in Hobart?

Like how GWS is all about Canberra...except the 'Tasmanian' team wont even bother to put a few letters on their jumpers to acknowledge Launceston.

Tell me, do you think the team will speand more time in Launceston (in total) for 6 games than Hawthorn does for 4? Or will they be back on the plane so fast they'll do the post match events back in Hobart?
I'm not sure what you want? Do you want the team to be called the Tasmania-Launceston Devils? You're just trying to create an issue where there isn't one because you hate Tasmania (for some reason).

I'm not sure what you want? Do you want the team to be called the Tasmania-Launceston Devils? You're just trying to create an issue where there isn't one because you hate Tasmania (for some reason).

For a BF member who boasts about his 'facts' in discussions, he sure knows how to be a pointless emotive dick.

What a nonsense post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back