Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The battle to get a team, let alone two, is due to the current AFL model.

Change the model, and maybe start welcoming entities, not denying them.
However, that can on be accomplished via a divisional structure.

So you may think I'm running on a tangent, but fundamentally, I am not.

The structure of the AFL is the obstacle to entry.

The model isnt changing - the league has no plans to open up - it hasnt done so since 1897 and so far it seems to have worked for it. Its never been proposed, never been looked at it, or even seriously suggested or even hinted at. Theres no groundswell of movement for it, regardless of how many posts on how many threads you make yourself.

Even during the league expansion era of the 80s, no one wanted divisions. The closest you got was champions league type proposals where the best teams at the end of a season would play each other. None of the closed state leagues wanted to merge into a divisional structure, and no clubs below state level have ever even hinted at wanting it. Ammos aside, I dont think you'll find an Australian Football league in the country that does it.

Thats why you are running a tangent.

Remember when everyone said that Trump didn't have a chance?
But deep down, the people wanted it.

Sometimes, you can't just scratch the surface, you gotta hack into it to expose the core characteristics of the culture.

We have to liberate our game from Authoritarian control.

You have to. The rest of us dont need to read about it in every other post and thread.

Watched 'thee man in charge' last night give an 'unscripted' chat about what happening with hubs etc at the moment. Did anyone else see it? He looked like he'd snorted a pig!

Do CEO's do blood tests before driving electronic instruments, or talking in public?

OMG, what hope have we?

But deep down, the people wanted it
Some people wanted it. The same people who live in an echo chamber of their own thoughts where they think that if they keep repeating something (like an election loss or a divisional competition) that the repetition will somehow validate the nonsense spewing from their mind. The same people who think 'everyone else is wrong' and who firmly believe in and defend theories that will never be.

I am.
I have no doubt that the AFL has plans for at least a 22 team League by 2030, and are trying to work out how it will work.

If that's the case, new teams in Darwin, Hobart, Auckland and a third team in Perth. Canberra will for the moment be kept for the Giants to use as a development zone.

21 round season. Each team plays each other once (and the return match the following season) plus finals.

Because of their obsession with NFL, they'll probably go via a conference model, but I reckon the debate would be raging behind the scenes, regarding a divisional structure.

I would say that is absolutely not happening.

I am absolutely convinced, that the future of our game, lies in a divisional, consensus based, free market model.

I haven't seen any evidence that your "model" is superior to the one we have at the moment. It's certainly not realistic. And I say that as a suppprter, member and shareholder of a club that has been demoted from the AFL and is seeking to move up to the top echelons of Victorian football once again.

We already have two AFL standard venues, and Carter said he was happy with them when he was here.

Gold Coast had nothing.

How many seats available for reserved seating? How many corporate boxes? These are the two most lucrative things for generating money for home games. This is primarily why Geelong had to redevelop Kardinia Park.

How many seats available for reserved seating? How many corporate boxes? These are the two most lucrative things for generating money for home games. This is primarily why Geelong had to redevelop Kardinia Park.

Between getting a license & running out an AFL team would be 4-5 years. Plenty of time to get the builders in & add anything deemed useful.

The current grounds are fine for the current use. However, Utas will get a much needed makeover. Apparently planned for 27k capacity.

Bellerive is likely to get SFA investment at this stage. Its at the wrong end of the political spectrum. In reality Bellerive will never really be up to the job. It's built in a suburban area next to a beach. Access is the problem.

Between getting a license & running out an AFL team would be 4-5 years. Plenty of time to get the builders in & add anything deemed useful.

The current grounds are fine for the current use. However, Utas will get a much needed makeover. Apparently planned for 27k capacity.

Bellerive is likely to get SFA investment at this stage. Its at the wrong end of the political spectrum. In reality Bellerive will never really be up to the job. It's built in a suburban area next to a beach. Access is the problem.
Id think that we're stuck with Bellerive until demand consistently outstrips supply.

Its such a pity. A lovely ground, built in such a stupid place.

Too bad we're stuck with it, built by fools who wouldn't listen.
WA footy was played at Subiaco for years. It had a train station as a way to move people but in Suburbia non the less. It was 25 years of AFL footy there. That's what Bellerive will be IMO.

WA footy was played at Subiaco for years. It had a train station as a way to move people but in Suburbia non the less. It was 25 years of AFL footy there. That's what Bellerive will be IMO.

Bellerive is a pig to access.

People will go to the footy but it puts people off trying to get in & out of the confined area.

No luxury of a train station I'm afraid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main problem with Blundstone is access the actual facilities there are pretty good lot better and more modern then utas if they built a stand where the hill is you would have a decent modern stadium around the 30k mark obviously getting those people in and out would be the problem . Utas is in a good location but three quarters of the seating is temporary type Blundstone would work out a lot cheaper to get to 30 k first

The main problem with Blundstone is access the actual facilities there are pretty good lot better and more modern then utas if they built a stand where the hill is you would have a decent modern stadium around the 30k mark obviously getting those people in and out would be the problem . Utas is in a good location but three quarters of the seating is temporary type Blundstone would work out a lot cheaper to get to 30 k first

Yes. The geography at Bellerive is the problem. Again a lovely but stupid place to plonk a stadium. Would've been better suited to getting a heap of luxury beachfront apartments built instead.
The rebuild of Utas will happen before anything else gets done in Hobart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back