Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And let's all go back to 1970, when that was funny.

Isn't the whole idea behind the Tassie bid all about winding back the clock to relive the glory days before every AFL (VFL) game was broadcast and participation rates were high because there was little else to do?

I think we are missing the most important point here, the choice of club mascot. There is the ever ongoing internal friction between Launceston in the north and Hobart in the south. They need to finally put their heads together. Let me therefore offer the perfect compromise, the new team should be called the Tassy Two-Heads. :cool:

It does raise a good point of what the team will be called. The Devils is too close to the Demons, and the Tigers is taken. The NBL hit the nail on the head with the JackJumpers, so I'm hoping the AFL ends on something not completely s**t.

Opposed to the Tasmanians creating something that's right for them.

All hail our AFL overloads.

I was being broad, but the licence would be held by the AFL (as opposed to the Tasmanian Gov) so I would assume the creative/marketing team would be employed by the AFL.

I was being broad, but the licence would be held by the AFL (as opposed to the Tasmanian Gov) so I would assume the creative/marketing team would be employed by the AFL.
The Tasmania license should be held by Tasmania, preferably with two teams, underpinned by two stadiums to be used as security to underwrite the two entities, ie, Nth Tasmania Devils & Hobart United FC

Again, all hail our AFL overloads.

Last edited:
It does raise a good point of what the team will be called. The Devils is too close to the Demons, and the Tigers is taken. The NBL hit the nail on the head with the JackJumpers, so I'm hoping the AFL ends on something not completely sh*t.

Jackjumpers was a terrible name i thought. I have no trust in the AFL to get the team name, colours and jumper right. Look at Dockers, power, suns and giants, all could have been much better choices.

Jackjumpers was a terrible name i thought. I have no trust in the AFL to get the team name, colours and jumper right. Look at Dockers, power, suns and giants, all could have been much better choices.
Even the Brisbane Bears was dross. "West Coast" still sounds like, as Denis Cometti put it, "American Crapola".

It does raise a good point of what the team will be called. The Devils is too close to the Demons, and the Tigers is taken. The NBL hit the nail on the head with the JackJumpers, so I'm hoping the AFL ends on something not completely sh*t.

Tassie apples?

Or score a big, long term, Boags and/or Cascade sponsorship and call them the Tassie Beers..."Get on the beers" would be an awesome rallying cry that all true Australians could embrace!

Licences are usually held by the clubs (I think GWS and GC are AFL controlled, but that's supposed to change in time).

The AFL does own the rights to just about all the IP though...name, jumper, song, etc. (this goes back to when superleagues were a threat and they made sure that if a club left, it couldn't really be identifiable as the old club any more).

Tassie apples?

Or score a big, long term, Boags and/or Cascade sponsorship and call them the Tassie Beers..."Get on the beers" would be an awesome rallying cry that all true Australians could embrace!
Sounds awesome. But would get cancelled quicker than you can say "cheers!"

OK. So it would breach AFL and government advertising rules, but....It would be good.

Smaller beer sponsorships are acceptable (not sure what the limits are, but they exist so must be allowable), and a grass roots campaign to have people cheer for that whatever the supposed mascot is could work...Maybe something phonetically similar...Shame 'Bears' has been used before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you could have Brewers maybe?

just something that's actually local, and not ripped from somewhere else coz it sounds cool to someone, eg Hobart Hurricanes, coz Tassie is known for its hurricanes ffs.

you could have Brewers maybe?

just something that's actually local, and not ripped from somewhere else coz it sounds cool to someone, eg Hobart Hurricanes, coz Tassie is known for its hurricanes ffs.
Brewers would be great. Think there's a football team in England that goes by that name? Also think that Carlton were known as the Brewers colloquially once upon a time.

Yeah, Hurricanes is awful. I dislike all of the BBL monikers to be honest. Never liked how they got rid of the old state vs state setup (Bushrangers vs Redbacks for example). But can understand that they did it for contractual reasons.

Bombers? Really?

It will definitely be devils the only reason the nbl didn’t use it was because the AFL went and put a copyright on the Tasmanian devils name

It will definitely be devils the only reason the nbl didn’t use it was because the AFL went and put a copyright on the Tasmanian devils name
Didn't know that. There used to be an Tassie NBL side known as the Devils. Did the NBL lose the rights to the name after that team folded?

Didn't know that. There used to be an Tassie NBL side known as the Devils. Did the NBL lose the rights to the name after that team folded?
No they just let the copyright lapse about 5 years ago it had been twenty years the Afl jumped on it renamed our nab league and all our junior teams as devils. The local basketball community were pretty pissed about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back