Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No club owned by the members can be forced to relocate anywhere or merge with anyone. All that the AFL can do is to remove their licence. And even that could possibly be challenged in the courts.

People forget that with Fitzroy, the AFL had 'special circumstances' (AKA, they were able to manipulate the club into bankruptcy and worked the administrator).

Chances of that happening now without some massive policy changes (basically equalisation goes out the window for several years, if not forever) are slim, and they first club(s) to die wouldn't necessarily be the ones they want gone (GC, GWS, Brisbane, Port...). The other option (targeting one club) would almost certainly end up in the courts.

People forget that with Fitzroy, the AFL had 'special circumstances' (AKA, they were able to manipulate the club into bankruptcy and worked the administrator).

That is true. The AFL were hell-bent on avoiding 17 teams in 1997.

But even the administrator couldnt make Fitzroy merge. He had to return the club to the legally elected directors, (who themselves are elected by the shareholders). I was/am one of those shareholders.

What the AFL did was manipulate the 1996 situation by refusing to guarantee Nauru (Fitzroy's ONLY secured creditor) would be paid from the merger monies that were either going to be gifted to the Brisbane Bears, or to the new "North Fitzroy Kangaroos". North Melbourne (at the instigation of the AFL) refused to release any more than $550,000 of the $1.25 million owed to Nauru from the merger monies of the $6 million that the AFL had promised in the event of two clubs merging into a new club. When Nauru heard this they determined to recover the full amount before any merger with North Melbourne could take place and their money was lost forever. So they appointed an administrator to Fitzroy.

Chances of that happening now without some massive policy changes (basically equalisation goes out the window for several years, if not forever) are slim, and they first club(s) to die wouldn't necessarily be the ones they want gone (GC, GWS, Brisbane, Port...). The other option (targeting one club) would almost certainly end up in the courts.

Yep.

No club owned by the members can be forced to relocate anywhere or merge with anyone. All that the AFL can do is to remove their licence. And even that could possibly be challenged in the courts.
So if they wanted to get real nasty they could say "you relocate/merge or we'll take away your license"? I hope it never comes to that.

So if they wanted to get real nasty they could say "you relocate/merge or we'll take away your license"? I hope it never comes to that.
Can’t see that happening either. They could possibly try and hurt a club financially if they decided it had to happen but as it would hurt their bottom line also they won’t go that route either

So if they wanted to get real nasty they could say "you relocate/merge or we'll take away your license"?

On what basis would they remove a licence arbitrarily and not open themselves up to a court challenge?

1. SEN Melb. D. Russel program 15.6.21

Russel asked Geelong FC CEO B. Cook whether Tas. should join as the 19th team.

Cook, paraphrasing, said "This is my personal view. Tasmania deserves a team, & is likely to join [the AFL] in the next 5 or 6 years. ...Tasmania deserves a team more than any other place around Australia for a lot of reasons, the history of AFL in Tasmania...The other CEO's are "split"(?- word indistinct to me), there is no dominant view from the CEO's...Affordability is an issue. The AFL, State govt. & Federal will have to underwrite the team for a long period of time".

(Scroll to 15.6, then click on "Brian Cook Interview"- then click on 13 minutes 5 seconds - 14 mins.32 secs.)

The only other Club CEO's that I am aware who have publicly commented on Tas. being the 19th team are:-

. P. Gordon, Footscray's CEO, who in 2019 was definitely in favour of Tas. joining, assuming its Bid was financially sustainable.

. B. Gale said in 2019 Tas. should join as the 19th team, but its Bid needed to demonstrate that it was financially sustainable.

. E. McGuire said, in early 2021, that Tas. should join- but Tas. needed to build an indoor, roofed 300000 stadium in Hobart; & the Tas. govt. needed to spend vast sums itself on building up the [male] GR & elite pathways etc.

T. Cochrane GCFC President, is opposed to a Tas. 19th team. He said the AFL cant afford to go to 19 teams soon (but he has not specifically addressed the Bids' strong financial figures) - & should not consider the issue for another 5-6 years.

2. SEN Melb. D. Russel program 21.6

Russel interviews B. Godfrey, Tas. Team Bid Chairman.

(Scroll to 21.6, then click on "Brett Godfrey Interview").

Last edited:
They spoke again on Footy Classified about a Tassie team tonight, and all four panelists were unanimous in their view that Tasmania should not only have a team, but their own team.

There's definitely been a shift in regards to media support for a Tassie team. In the past most have wanted to come up with excuses as to why we can't have a team, but now they're finally starting to understand that it makes sense and it can work.

1. Of course Tasmania should get there own team, and it needs to be a new team that is theirs. If we are being brutally honest they should have gotten their team back when WA and SA got their first teams. And unless the AFL are going to do to a club what they did to Fitzroy then relocation is not a realistic or viable option even if the state would accept it.

2. Assuming the AFL does grant Tasmania the 19th licence do we think the AFL will stop there and live with the odd number or look to even it up by adding a 20th team and if so where. I have heard a few interviews on SEN talking about the viability of a team in the NT that might be worth looking into.

3. Did anyone else find it ironic that the CEO/President most outspoken against Tasmania getting a team was Tony Cochrane on the basis of the AFL not propping up another team? I mean he does run the biggest welfare club in the competition.

The Brisbane model is not the one to look to replicate. That was horrific for Fitzroy fans.

Needs to be more of a South Melbourne style relocation that is sold to the Roos as being their best case for long term sustainability. But they have to want it like the Swans did.

I wouldn't go for a merger. Just let the soulless Suns die.

That is simply wrong re Sth Melbourne. It was bitter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not going to happen. Would be political suicide.
Tasmania is the biggest welfare state in Australia. At some point the Feds might start cutting the strings.
Im all for Tasmania getting a team but it needs to be self sufficient enough to not be on the Government’s teet forever. I’d rather the AFL prop them up for as long as it takes

Have you looked at what minnow clubs get now compared to big clubs

Hey how many home games did the Eagles play at Docklands?

The asset the AFL owns and borrowed against at the start of COVID.

Tasmania is the biggest welfare state in Australia. At some point the Feds might start cutting the strings.
Im all for Tasmania getting a team but it needs to be self sufficient enough to not be on the Government’s teet forever. I’d rather the AFL prop them up for as long as it takes

Tassie has 12 Senators.

Would never happen. Tourism dollars $$$$$. The government really likes people coming down to spend money. AFL has travelling fans.

in a little more detail: Perhaps the fed would cut our GST one day a little. But we wont ever become a 3rd world state. Our Federation has a basic principle that you can get the same services regardless of which state you are in. hence the 12 senators. And our greatest revenue source is tourism.

They could go down this route, but it would be an absolute PR nightmare from the AFL. As RoyLion said above also, it'd no doubt be an ugly legal process with the club of course not wanting to be (essentially) folded.

At the end of the day, a tassie team wouldn’t fail and would need way less assistance than gws and Gold Coast

Every Tasmanian based national comp team, with the exception of cricket, has failed. Granted football is more popular, but it's not a fait accompli that a Tasmanian based footy club wouldn't fail.

Love to see them get one though.

Hey how many home games did the Eagles play at Docklands?

The asset the AFL owns and borrowed against at the start of COVID.
Well being that the eagles already saved the league once on entry ……then the wa government built a massive stadium that the afl benefits greatly from every finals series.

….and of course managed covid so well that the league could have had a whole year of crowds at perth but instead chose to have no crowds in brisbane….

This Colin carter review has always been nothing more then a pr stunt buy the afl as soon as they announced one of there former commissioners was running it . The review won’t come back and say our bid is not viable or straight up no as they know our government would be furious . The afl desperately want the fifo games to continue buy recommending a relocated team there trying to save face with our government while saying no

Yaeh the AFL have never really gone out of their way to support hawthorn in tassie so I dont see them being that desperate in that regard

They seem much more keen on North their but as noted, neither set of potential fans want that.

And what did the bomber crowd prove? I dont see it. If it became tassie v essendon there which team are they supporting? Those people went there because they know essendon playing there was, is and will be very rare

Edit. The hawks v bombers crowd didn’t even pass hawthorns average there of 15,000. Despite the local paper complaining big success ful Victorian teams don’t come here, (what was hawthorn 2008-2015?)
Tassie crowds are solid (especially compared to expansion states nsw and qld but they aren’t and never will be huge

Last edited:
1. Of course Tasmania should get there own team, and it needs to be a new team that is theirs. If we are being brutally honest they should have gotten their team back when WA and SA got their first teams. And unless the AFL are going to do to a club what they did to Fitzroy then relocation is not a realistic or viable option even if the state would accept it.

2. Assuming the AFL does grant Tasmania the 19th licence do we think the AFL will stop there and live with the odd number or look to even it up by adding a 20th team and if so where. I have heard a few interviews on SEN talking about the viability of a team in the NT that might be worth looking into.

3. Did anyone else find it ironic that the CEO/President most outspoken against Tasmania getting a team was Tony Cochrane on the basis of the AFL not propping up another team? I mean he does run the biggest welfare club in the competition.
There is no need to add a 20th club. 19 teams works perfectly as we already have two byes each season. You have one each round (rnds 1 - 23) and 15 in round 24. So, nine games each week and two last round. 11 extra games. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back