Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You seem totally out of touch with what's actually going on - and wilfully determined to stay out of touch. Gil, as reported by Caro, has long privately supported a Tasmanian team. Who do you think is orchestrating all these moves, such as recruiting Clarkson to the cause, all aimed at getting the clubs support? Open your eyes and stop being such a whiny sod.
Can you really believe everything Caro has said and I thought it was just a personal choice by Clarkson to help our case.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can you really believe everything Caro has said ...
Like when she was the first and only journo to state Clarko would leave Hawthorn at seasons end ... and stuck to her story amongst a storm of criticism?
... and I thought it was just a personal choice by Clarkson to help our case.
Are you really that naive? This is all you need to know -
If you guys don't believe clarko isn't the mouthpiece for gill on this you are very niave. He has basically told the plan. The afl want a tassie team so got clarko behind it but they don't want it till 2027. It's so obvious it's not funny. Clarko will get this signed off next year then coach gc in 2023.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have just been looking at the Carter report and what the AFL said and it is clear a joint venture is the afl's preferred choice. The AFL has very little interest in the 19 th team option and I believe if that option happens we are looking at 2030 at the absolute earliest.I don't want to sound negative but you can clearly see by what the AFL has said that it is going to do everything it can to avoid a 19 th team in Tasmania and push the joint venture option on us. I think this is definitely a better option than what we currently have and is the next step in Tasmania getting a standalone team sometime between 2030 and 2040.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North Melbourne president has come out and said a Tassie team is unlikely to happen due to the Covid situation and will not get the votes needed, interesting times ahead.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
North Melbourne president has come out and said a Tassie team is unlikely to happen due to the Covid situation and will not get the votes needed, interesting times ahead.

North is in a tough spot - they have the most to lose with a Tassie team so will always oppose it but they can't afford to get Tasmanians offside. So they have to be very careful with their public statements. The covid excuse is a pretty good one TBH.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North is in a tough spot - they have the most to lose with a Tassie team so will always oppose it but they can't afford to get Tasmanians offside. So they have to be very careful with their public statements. The covid excuse is a pretty good one TBH.
We are talking about having a team in 5 to 9 years so I don't really see Covid having much of an impact by then.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Herald Sun had a story about the AFL making 40 million from the AFL Grand final and said some of the money would likely go into Tasmania's AFL bid. I honestly can't see the AFL using some of it to help us get a team in Tasmania when they are not even overly keen on a Tassie team,I found it very interesting that they would think that.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm 26 but only started following the AFL about two years ago.

Strange how you can claim to be so jaded about the AFL if you've only followed the game for 2 years! Or why you are not listening the multitude on here who know you who are telling you to chill out

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Strange how you can claim to be so jaded about the AFL if you've only followed the game for 2 years! Or why you are not listening the multitude on here who know you who are telling you to chill out
I have always been a big cricket fan but wasn't a serious AFL supporter until 2 years ago. I'm going to do what you have suggested from now on,I must admit more of my opinions have come from people I have talked to about AFL in Tasmania.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have always been a big cricket fan but wasn't a serious AFL supporter until 2 years ago. I'm going to do what you have suggested from now on,I must admit more of my opinions have come from people I have talked to about AFL in Tasmania.

Cool, you'll not that even Madmug has chilled out a bit recently on this issue.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I have completely changed my mindset on this now,I hope to see some evidence in coming months that show they are interested in a Tassie team. 🙂

The AFL are interested in a club from Tasmania. It will happen. What it is very unlikely to be is either a 'joint venture' or 'relocation' of a Melbourne club.

It will be a 19th club started from scratch.

The AFL are interested in a club from Tasmania. It will happen. What it is very unlikely to be is either a 'joint venture' or 'relocation' of a Melbourne club.

It will be a 19th club started from scratch.
In your opinion then, where do you think the 20th team would be located/based cause I mean the AFL (most likely) would want an even amount of teams ASAP in the competition and avoid clubs having a weekly bye throughout the regular season as such?

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In your opinion then, where do you think the 20th team would be located/based cause I mean the AFL (most likely) would want an even amount of teams ASAP in the competition and avoid clubs having a weekly bye throughout the regular season as such?
Has been a lot of talk around a third Perth or Darwin team but I haven't once heard the AFL mention anything about teams in these places so I really don't know.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club

Why not just 19 and have a weekly bye for a few seasons? It's been done before.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Surely it would have to be for a few seasons at least because I can't see any other place being ready too soon.

The longest we've had odd teams (in the past 95 years anyway) has been four seasons, between the Crows and Fremantle. Correct me if I'm wrong Roylion, but I believe the keen-ness of the AFL to remain at an even number of teams was a big reason for the merger when Port Adelaide joined.

I would say the AFL would like a 20th team no more than three to four seasons after Tasmania enters, so they would likely at least have a preferred candidate by the time the Tasmania timeline is decided.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The longest we've had odd teams (in the past 95 years anyway) has been four seasons, between the Crows and Fremantle. Correct me if I'm wrong Roylion, but I believe the keen-ness of the AFL to remain at an even number of teams was a big reason for the merger when Port Adelaide joined.

I would say the AFL would like a 20th team no more than three to four seasons after Tasmania enters, so they would likely at least have a preferred candidate by the time the Tasmania timeline is decided.
Who do you think would be the most likely Candidate and have they already looked in to having a team there?

Has been a lot of talk around a third Perth or Darwin team but I haven't once heard the AFL mention anything about teams in these places so I really don't know.
I agree that a 3rd team in WA would be the best option on a financially level, but wouldn't a team based in ACT make more sense on improving the participation/viewership rates of the sport and to weaken the NRL footprint on the territory and make it an AFL town as a result (albeit Manuka Oval would definitely need a massive upgrade to 25,000 - 30,000).

After Tasmania & Canberra have a professional team in the AFL/AFLW and the competition stays as that for 10-15 years, I would then bring a 3rd WA team (Perth) and a 3rd NSW team (North Sydney) into the competition, before SA3 & QLD3/NT1 comes into the AFL later on (15-20 years) to create a complete "national" 24 team AFL competition for both male/female players alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back