Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy the sound of things the Tasmanian government are saying this is the last time they will ever apply for a license so I guess its now or never for the afl to make a decision are they happy to say no then sit back and let basketball completely take over

Buy the sound of things the Tasmanian government are saying this is the last time they will ever apply for a license so I guess its now or never for the afl to make a decision are they happy to say no then sit back and let basketball completely take over
I think the current government are not going to apply again but I have little doubt future governments will also push for a team. Many people believe because of low crowds like yesterday that we wouldn't support a team that will likely struggle for a long time and I think the AFL is really going to look badly on crowds like yesterday.

Self Bump.

I heard Clarko banging on about Green Bay on AFL 360 tonight (discussing Tassie)

They must all read BigFooty.

I first mentioned the Green Bay comparison in February 2021 on this very thread (page 44).

I think the Green Bay 'argument' is rather pointless.

Yes Green Bay has 100k population. But It is part of Green bay metropolitan area with over 300k people (interestingly within that area, is a place called HOBART ;)) . It is 188km from Milwaukee, population 1.5million. It's a 100 year old club so has built huge support over that time. It also derives huge income from TV rights. Lambeau field holds some 80k. It has a stable membership base, yet has a membership waiting list of nearly another 80k!!!

The club has a unique structure of stockholders. Its owned by a community of supporters, not a billionaire like most others are.

If the AFL had started from scratch rather just added bits to the VFL as happened, would a small city like Geelong get a look in?

Maybe Tasmania & ACT would have had a team before Geelong & even some other suburban clubs??

So IMO & on the facts of the matter, the Tasmanian bid is not comparable to Green bay. It has its own merits & its own doubters. Historic VFL club self interest & bias being prime.

Ross County FC, based in Dingwall (population 5,491), are fifth in the Scottish Premiership (i.e. soccer). But I guess soccer is a game where you can buy three strong players and ride up the table fast, especially in Scotland where clubs are small outside the big five clubs.

Pleased you get to SANFL games - good standard. I get along to some local Statewide footy as my son plays for a junior club that supports their seniors.

Not sure of the point you are trying to make, do you think Tasmania can sustain an AFL team or not?

I passionately believe that whatever happens the Tasmanian government should stop funding Nth Melb and Hawthorn and in the short term demand all clubs play down here while the contract finishes not just Port, GWS, GCS etc
My point is...... And this applies to not just footy but life itself.

Any Major Australian city or state with a population of 1 million people or more, need decent access to public transport.

From 1991-2013 getting from the Adelaide City to footy park in West lakes shipping centre was a hassle. It was only buses. It took you at least half an hour to get in or out. Yes footy park was near a shopping centre but yeah there were Parking spots bit you had to pay 5-10 dollars.

But you ask me the question, can a team in Tasmania be sustainable? Look at GWS and gold coast. Very unlikely if they are badly run.

Tassie people will not pay $50-$60 every week to watch their team. They will if it's $30-$40.

Getting 20,000 people in a 25-30,000 seat stadium helps. Also getting a major sponsor or 2 will help as well.

Ross County FC, based in Dingwall (population 5,491), are fifth in the Scottish Premiership (i.e. soccer). But I guess soccer is a game where you can buy three strong players and ride up the table fast, especially in Scotland where clubs are small outside the big five clubs.

Great little club. Again they have over 90 years of history which helps. They go up & down but draw from a district of 60,000. Still they do a great job.

Maybe better to compare the Jack Jumpers with what a Tassie AFL side could do. At least in supercharging supporter enthusiasm. We can only hope. :)

One notes two FIFO clubs, one near the bottom of the ladder, NM v PA at Bellerive, 5100
Whereas GC, showing great improvement, home game v Freo 6100.

Go figure???
One notes two FIFO clubs, one near the bottom of the ladder, NM v PA at Bellerive, 5100

Go figure???
We obviously need Tasmanians to support a team if its low on the ladder though and obviously we could be low on the ladder for years just like Gold Coast has been.

We don't need to support anything that is not Tasmanian.

FIFO teams are here for money.

Pissemoff!!!
Yes I'm pretty sure the Tasmanian government won't renew the Tas deal next season because I don't see them getting much out it when tourists are not coming over for games. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 5 or so years until we get a team.

6 games in Hobart for the year let’s say if it’s a 6/5 split with Launceston.

Every single game would be sold out before the season started imo.

6 games in Hobart for the year let’s say if it’s a 6/5 split with Launceston.

Every single game would be sold out before the season started imo.
Do you think it would make sense to build a new stadium In Hobart with only 6 games a season and eventually finals in the future?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go figure???
To be fair, what sort of crowds do you think a Tassie team would draw if they were complete s**t for their first 10 years and it was pissing down with rain?

I think the Tasmanian Government is desperately doing all it can to make it a certainty. I doubt it was a requirement.
Totally misguided to think that a roof is needed (less rain that any other capital city) or that it should be multi-purpose. If Tas ever get a soccer club they could build a 10K rectangular stadium for 80M.

I think the Tasmanian Government is desperately doing all it can to make it a certainty. I doubt it was a requirement.
Do you think
Totally misguided to think that a roof is needed (less rain that any other capital city) or that it should be multi-purpose. If Tas ever get a soccer club they could build a 10K rectangular stadium for 80M.
I don't believe Hobart needs a roof but we definitely need a more sheltered venue than Blundstone.

To be fair, what sort of crowds do you think a Tassie team would draw if they were complete s**t for their first 10 years and it was pissing down with rain?
Considering we average less rain than any other Capital city except Adelaide, I don't see that part of the problem. Also if weather was a factor, why play in Ballarat of Canberra in winter?

Anyway, GC was 23c when playing Freo, hardly extreme weather one would think. They've been showing good signs for weeks. Maybe we should wait until they win a few flags until someone turns up for such a game.??

Former Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein has been announced as the head of Tasmania's new stadium Tasmania group and said the creation of the new Hobart stadium and upgrade of UTAS are two of their first tasks. I'm not at all surprised that Peter Gutwein is remaining involved in Tasmanian sport and I think he is the man that can really get these things done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back