Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping it would still sit up around 10000 to 15000 but I fear you could be on the money with your estimate.
The question though was if we were sh1t and the weather was bad. I'd say vs any big Vic club we'd be looking at 10k+ easily for a home game here in Hobart or Launnie.

The question though was if we were sh1t and the weather was bad. I'd say vs any big Vic club we'd be looking at 10k+ easily for a home game here in Hobart or Launnie.
Yes and we might not be in finals contention for our first five to ten years so I think that will be a real test for Tassie fans.

Do you think it would make sense to build a new stadium In Hobart with only 6 games a season and eventually finals in the future?

It makes no sense to spend that sort of money. We're stuck with Bellerive on the beach. Nice but crap access.

The only other mildly sensible option would be to invest in a KGV upgrade.

It makes no sense to spend that sort of money. We're stuck with Bellerive on the beach. Nice but crap access.

The only other mildly sensible option would be to invest in a KGV upgrade.
I really worry that will have an impact on the potential crowds Hobart pulls unless they can come up with some good transport options.

The stadium is so out of touch with what’s going on in society down here. Adelaide Oval and the Perth Stadium get 22 games of AFL plus 7 big bash matches plus a test match.
We don’t need a stadium and if people think we do to be able to get people to attend we don’t deserve a team. People will go in the hail if it’s a Tassie team and you only have 6 opportunities from a Hobart based perspective. If the AFL are making it a pre requisite then I’m sorry but I’d rather see us get some houses for domestic violence victims, a functioning hospital that doesn’t have ambulances stacked up and hey maybe even a fully done midlands highway or Bridgewater bridge.

The stadium is so out of touch with what’s going on in society down here. Adelaide Oval and the Perth Stadium get 22 games of AFL plus 7 big bash matches plus a test match.
We don’t need a stadium and if people think we do to be able to get people to attend we don’t deserve a team. People will go in the hail if it’s a Tassie team and you only have 6 opportunities from a Hobart based perspective. If the AFL are making it a pre requisite then I’m sorry but I’d rather see us get some houses for domestic violence victims, a functioning hospital that doesn’t have ambulances stacked up and hey maybe even a fully done midlands highway or Bridgewater bridge.

Its the apparent economic benefits to Hobart and the state that the stadium would bring that are cited - specifically giving Adelaide, Perth, and Commbank Stadiums as examples - in the business case for the states license, although the stadium in that report doesnt have a roof either.

As stated, we have sought to model what a new, central CBD roofed stadium would do the economics of a Tasmanian-based AFL team. In short, it would likely motivate the AFL to issue a provisional licence. As evidenced from our discussions, the AFL – and the accompanying bench-marking data provided to us – demonstrably recognises the financial business case for stadia. In simple terms, a Tasmanian team playing in an Adelaide Oval equivalency would neither be a burden on the AFL nor the State: it would be self-sufficient. Arguably, $300M for self-determination for the granting of a 19th licence is potentially an ‘over-indulgence’, which is why the Taskforce has endeavoured to build a case that seeks considerably less of the state. While we believe we can reveal a strong case for Tasmanian inclusion in the AFL, this would be a silver bullet

Considering we average less rain than any other Capital city except Adelaide, I don't see that part of the problem. Also if weather was a factor, why play in Ballarat of Canberra in winter?

Anyway, GC was 23c when playing Freo, hardly extreme weather one would think. They've been showing good signs for weeks. Maybe we should wait until they win a few flags until someone turns up for such a game.??

You'd have been stuffed if Noah was giving out tickets to the ark mate...the rain has been relentless for weeks - nobody cares if it's 23c if their street's just been flooded

Its the apparent economic benefits to Hobart and the state that the stadium would bring that are cited - specifically giving Adelaide, Perth, and Commbank Stadiums as examples - in the business case for the states license, although the stadium in that report doesnt have a roof either.
6 games a year that would fill Blundstone anyways? With only 6 games for the year Blundstone would sell out every game delivering “economic impacts”. Minus the cost of a new stadium. 300mil is a lot of cheap public housing that would also deliver “economic impacts” while also putting roofs over peoples heads

If Blundstone sold out every game for 10+ years and had a waiting list for memberships, then I could see how a new stadium could be justified. Until then, the money would be far better spent on housing. Rokeby has rents for $400 pw.

6 games a year that would fill Blundstone anyways? With only 6 games for the year Blundstone would sell out every game delivering “economic impacts”. Minus the cost of a new stadium. 300mil is a lot of cheap public housing that would also deliver “economic impacts” while also putting roofs over peoples heads
I think we need a new stadium but not one worth so much because blundstones access is always going to turn a lot of people away from attending.

If Blundstone sold out every game for 10+ years and had a waiting list for memberships, then I could see how a new stadium could be justified. Until then, the money would be far better spent on housing. Rokeby has rents for $400 pw.
I think Blundstone will struggle to do that but I definitely agree that the proposed stadium is way too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The former Tasmania Premier Peter Gutwein who has just been confirmed as the head of our new stadium Tasmania group has made it clear his number one job will be to get the new Hobart stadium built and UTAS upgraded,so he is definitely going to work hard to see it through so very interesting times ahead indeed.

I think we need a new stadium but not one worth so much because blundstones access is always going to turn a lot of people away from attending.
People who use access as an excuse not to attend are basically just looking for a reason to not attend. A new stadium at the regatta grounds will definitely have its own access issues unless a light rail or ferry service is employed to get people in from the North/West. If people aren't able to go 'out of their way' by walking a km or two or catch a bus then I don't think their hearts really in it or at least they'll find something to complain about with the new stadium.

Complain about access? Tasmanians have waited 100 years. Anyone complaining again isn’t interested. I have lived football my whole life, I was one of the thousands that used to attend VfL games when Tasmania played. One of the 10k that was there when Port Melbourne beat us. I am sure we would sell out every game, if it takes me 2 hours to get home then I’ll do it.

Complain about access? Tasmanians have waited 100 years. Anyone complaining again isn’t interested. I have lived football my whole life, I was one of the thousands that used to attend VfL games when Tasmania played. One of the 10k that was there when Port Melbourne beat us. I am sure we would sell out every game, if it takes me 2 hours to get home then I’ll do it.

Thats fine. Families, especially with young kids, older people too, may disagree with you.

Ive never supported spending on stadiums.

Dont forget cricket would use this too - particularly BBL. Better venues with larger capcity attract other events as well.

I don't understand people who use this type of statement as an argument.
If the government recognises a problem then it should attack the problem it shouldn't be mutually exclusive.
$300 million for a stadium is what it takes these days. You don't want to do a "Subiaco Oval" and cheap out, basically being outdated when it was completed. A stadium has to be built with the long future in mind.
A $300 million stadium doesn't cost $300 million. The government gets a lot back in taxation and why not ask the federal government to help out like the rugbies do.
$300 million for public housing also creates a lot of economic activity but like a stadium it creates ongoing issues as well.

I don't understand people who use this type of statement as an argument.
If the government recognises a problem then it should attack the problem it shouldn't be mutually exclusive.
$300 million for a stadium is what it takes these days. You don't want to do a "Subiaco Oval" and cheap out, basically being outdated when it was completed. A stadium has to be built with the long future in mind.
A $300 million stadium doesn't cost $300 million. The government gets a lot back in taxation and why not ask the federal government to help out like the rugbies do.
$300 million for public housing also creates a lot of economic activity but like a stadium it creates ongoing issues as well.
I think $300 million would be reasonable but 750 million is just too much for Tasmania.

My sons and daughter would feel the same. Others can disagree that’s ok. Bellerive isn’t exactly in the middle of nowhere btw.
Just car parking is the issue,I have no idea why it was built in that location,I have no doubt a venue with lots of parking and close to the city would improve AFL crowds in Hobart.

Just car parking is the issue,I have no idea why it was built in that location,I have no doubt a venue with lots of parking and close to the city would improve AFL crowds in Hobart.
People who grew up in Hobart and haven't lived anywhere else don't really 'get' public transport and are very carcentric. This is why they don't like Bellerive, because you can't park out the front and walk in. The thought of parking a few blocks away and walking = bad access. No modern stadium will be built to accommodate cars in any meaningful way. Hobartians must get used to the idea of catching a bus (or other form of PT which doesn’t yet exist in Hobart) or parking a distance away and walking, which, as I've suggested, will result in people complaining about access. Even for a brand new stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back