Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Reports are that Treloar has his burst back, while JDG and Elliott both are spending significant time in the middle, both very quick off the mark. Sier is no slouch either. I don’t think we need to sacrifice Crisps spot in a solid defensive unit to gain pace in the guts under the circumstances.

The ONLY question with those two would be endurance for the game, we already know how damaging JDG can be in there, almost claimed a flag off his own boot playing out of there.

Billy is an unknown, given his skill level and his nuggetty build he could be an upskilled Tay.

Theory: If the panel are playing these two in the mid a lot in sims, are they possibly thinking about a rotating midfield? I mean for the season proper? Would certainly have the opp on the unpredictable back foot and would certainly add a pace dimension to the mid brigade.

Or am I being a little over excited?

I have to ask, is anyone else concerned about all this talk of Elliot and DeGoey going through the midfield more?

We as a club have invested so much money and draft picks into our midfield group, yet we are still having to move our two best forwards there to improve that area?

In terms of most peoples ideal best 22: Treloar, Beams, Sier cost us 5 first and second round picks, Adams was a straight swap for Shaw so what we lost whatever the opportunity cost on Shaw at the time was, while Aish who has left costs us 2 second round picks. This is even before you factor the money they are all on, coupled with Grundy, Sidey and Pendles.

Meanwhile our forward and defensive lines, have often been made up of trade in's (often on the cheap ala Rough, Howe, Crisp) or rookie selections such as Cox and Mihocek. Only Moore, Stephenson and JDG have cost us first round selections while WHE cost us a second round pick in his trade with the Giants.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of all of these players, however I just find it concerning that we have invested so heavily into the midfield group, yet De Goey and Elliot are still having to be looked at as options to help our midfield, which in the last game of the last 2 seasons have let us down?

On face value yep agree totally, but if you look deeper at this whole club turn around after the 2017 season, for want of a better term I would bet some hard earned lettuce that the FD is backing a 'role for role' culture. It's a unique and disciplined way to go about managing and developing your list.

Yeah granted we aren't the best in the poker game of recruiting, however we seem to make up for it in developing what we've got after the fact. Some key points.
  • It seems JDG is being groomed for a perm role in the middle eventually anyway.
  • It does give scope for a rotating mid brigade, see next bullet point.
  • It does give some unpredictability for the opp, that 'keep em guessin' almost got us a flag.
  • Moore is another example of role swapping (swingman) - now a great defender.
  • We have a game plan that is not so personnel reliant - that's a huge bonus.
At the end of the day yeah I get the eye roll at what this club does at the trade table, come close to smashing a few tinnies against the wall in frustration. Wells and Mayne come to mind. But if we get a flag out of it because we buttered up after being anal probed after the card game, no ones gonna give a flying.

The ONLY question with those two would be endurance for the game, we already know how damaging JDG can be in there, almost claimed a flag off his own boot playing out of there.

Billy is an unknown, given his skill level and his nuggetty build he could be an upskilled Tay.

Theory: If the panel are playing these two in the mid a lot in sims, are they possibly thinking about a rotating midfield? I mean for the season proper? Would certainly have the opp on the unpredictable back foot and would certainly add a pace dimension to the mid brigade.

Or am I being a little over excited?

Not sure why he'd be an unknown. He was a regular rotation pre his back injury and showed then he can definitely cut the mustard in the midfield.

Theory: Every side uses a "rotating" midfield. We already do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Training Monday feb 17th. 2020.

Sunny morning, there was no shade anywhere at first. Waited over by the cafe at around 9am, by 9:10, the players start to trickle out. Ruscoe first, followed by Pendles.

We have a pretty healthy list. Everyone was present except Beams of course. Langdon did about 45 mins of running. Looked a bit proppy, but given he hasn't ran in half a year, that's not unexpected. Did hear Pendles say it's bone on bone to some blokes. But least he is out there trying. Doesn't have anything to lose. Its a small step, so we just wait and see how he goes with the loads.

Greenwood and Broomhead and Varcoe did loads of running. Broomhead in particular. Looks like he is healed enough to start off his training program. My friend overheard the trainer mentioned that he had ran 6k this morning. He looked pretty good, a lot better than this time last year when he first came back after his broken leg. He was running very strongly.

Appleby and Dunn should be very close to full training. Dunn even more so, he didn't do the match sim, but he did the rotations and kickouts for the boys. Did things on the side, plus running also.
Appleby, after coming from his ankle injury, looks to be inching closer toward full fitness. Didn't do match sim, but lots of running, and also participated with the transitional rotations which is what they did after match sim was concluded.

Atu and Mihochek only did a running session. Nothing the matter with them, but probably just a bit of conditioning/management. Roughy, did running and just chilling out by the goal posts. Nothing wrong with him. My friend asked, but he said he was right to go, but they might be managing his load given he has had a full pre-season.

During match sim; Kelly was playing defense -- I wish they would settle him in one position. Don't get the boy confused.
Stevo looked on fire. Had many shots from the pocked, missed a couple, but then snapped one around his body and right through the middle. Still skinny you could tell from when he took off his top and took some photos with fans, but that's normal for him. But he looked good.

De Goey and Elliott had stints in the middle, and up the ground rather than at FF. Stevo had that position.

Noble and Quaynor rotated through the one position. Cameron and Rantall looked lively. Bianco got a bit of the ball, though he caused some turnovers during the game which was unlike him. But nobody is perfect.
Ruscoe was good down back with intercepting the ball.

Murphy looked pretty good. He was probably out there for the entire session without being on the interchange. At least that I noticed. Pendles was up and about, goaling from outside 50. Just the usual captain goal from him.
Treloar was just about everywhere in the middle.

Toward the end of the session, someone said to Cox that he looked about everywhere out there, and he replied with "Nah, that's Grundy's job." lol

The battle of the rucks was between Lynch/Grundy. I didn't notice Cameron or Cox in the Ruck as much, as I noticed they were more down forward than anything else.

Wilson kicked a goal from about 50 out. Daicos also got a goal when someone else failed to score. He played half forward; was very impressive with his football skills and brain, knowing where to be. After the ball was kicked back into the forward line, he marked it in the middle, and shot it down the centre of the goal posts. He doesn't often miss.

Cal Brown also worked his butt off out there. I think he'll have another big year this season.

Training Monday feb 17th. 2020.

Sunny morning, there was no shade anywhere at first. Waited over by the cafe at around 9am, by 9:10, the players start to trickle out. Ruscoe first, followed by Pendles.

We have a pretty healthy list. Everyone was present except Beams of course. Langdon did about 45 mins of running. Looked a bit proppy, but given he hasn't ran in half a year, that's not unexpected. Did hear Pendles say it's bone on bone to some blokes. But least he is out there trying. Doesn't have anything to lose. Its a small step, so we just wait and see how he goes with the loads.

Greenwood and Broomhead and Varcoe did loads of running. Broomhead in particular. Looks like he is healed enough to start off his training program. My friend overheard the trainer mentioned that he had ran 6k this morning. He looked pretty good, a lot better than this time last year when he first came back after his broken leg. He was running very strongly.

Appleby and Dunn should be very close to full training. Dunn even more so, he didn't do the match sim, but he did the rotations and kickouts for the boys. Did things on the side, plus running also.
Appleby, after coming from his ankle injury, looks to be inching closer toward full fitness. Didn't do match sim, but lots of running, and also participated with the transitional rotations which is what they did after match sim was concluded.

Atu and Mihochek only did a running session. Nothing the matter with them, but probably just a bit of conditioning/management. Roughy, did running and just chilling out by the goal posts. Nothing wrong with him. My friend asked, but he said he was right to go, but they might be managing his load given he has had a full pre-season.

During match sim; Kelly was playing defense -- I wish they would settle him in one position. Don't get the boy confused.
Stevo looked on fire. Had many shots from the pocked, missed a couple, but then snapped one around his body and right through the middle. Still skinny you could tell from when he took off his top and took some photos with fans, but that's normal for him. But he looked good.

De Goey and Elliott had stints in the middle, and up the ground rather than at FF. Stevo had that position.

Noble and Quaynor rotated through the one position. Cameron and Rantall looked lively. Bianco got a bit of the ball, though he caused some turnovers during the game which was unlike him. But nobody is perfect.
Ruscoe was good down back with intercepting the ball.

Murphy looked pretty good. He was probably out there for the entire session without being on the interchange. At least that I noticed. Pendles was up and about, goaling from outside 50. Just the usual captain goal from him.
Treloar was just about everywhere in the middle.

Toward the end of the session, someone said to Cox that he looked about everywhere out there, and he replied with "Nah, that's Grundy's job." lol

The battle of the rucks was between Lynch/Grundy. I didn't notice Cameron or Cox in the Ruck as much, as I noticed they were more down forward than anything else.

Wilson kicked a goal from about 50 out. Daicos also got a goal when someone else failed to score. He played half forward; was very impressive with his football skills and brain, knowing where to be. After the ball was kicked back into the forward line, he marked it in the middle, and shot it down the centre of the goal posts. He doesn't often miss.

Cal Brown also worked his butt off out there. I think he'll have another big year this season.
Good to hear that Stevo and De Goey were in match sim. Do you reckon they will play Thursday?

Thanks Jen! How was Josh Thomas? I reckon he will be fighting for a spot...
While he was absent last week and didn't train, he looked alright today. Yeah, I think Daicos will be trying to take his spot, maybe Atu as well. But I'd have Daicos in front of Atu.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back