Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Jen (and others),

I think Mihocek is a first start KPF. Does lots of work, accurate kick for goal.

Interested in your thoughts on Cox/Cameron/Reid/Kelly.

How have you found Will Kelly's goal kicking?
Mason Cox and Ben Reid are unreliable kicks for goals. I find that a deflating element when a team has done a lot of work to get in a scoring position.
At this stage, Will Kelly needs to be an accurate kick for goal to supplant one of these two (barring injury of course). He can't really play back up ruck at 198cm and being so finely built, which also works against him.
In that respect, Darcy Cameron appears to be a reliable set shot and probably a better Ruck prospect (204cm) than either Reid or Kelly.

I think Elliott, De Goey, Stephenson, Thomas (who needs few chances to make an impact on the scoreboard) and possibly WHE make up the remaining 5 spots at this stage.

Assuming only Mihocek plus one 195cm+ forward plays.
How do you rank them for rd 1, 2020?
Will Kelly's kicking is fine, but he'll only get better. I don't believe he is quite ready to take over a KPP spot yet. But he is on his way.
Cameron and Reid are probably ahead at this point. But things can change.

Thanks Jen for the excellent write-ups. They add a lot, especially for those of us living interstate.

From what you and others have seen at training so far, are there any players in our best 22 at end of 2019 who look like losing their spots for Rd1 2020? For instance, does Wills look likely to lose his spot to (say) Sier? What about Mayne? Cal Brown? Noble? Who is breathing down their necks? Any others on a selection knife-edge?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Everyone is fighting and training with intensity. If you think Wills will just give up, you can think again. His pre-season has been one of the best, if not better than Sier. But Sier has been impressive too. But they are neck in neck really.
Mayne is just Mayne. Noble has been impressive. Cal Brown, while had been on running duties early on with Phillips has been training well too.

I really couldn't tell you, really. Tough choices really to be made.

Everyone is fighting and training with intensity. If you think Wills will just give up, you can think again. His pre-season has been one of the best, if not better than Sier. But Sier has been impressive too. But they are neck in neck really.
Mayne is just Mayne. Noble has been impressive. Cal Brown, while had been on running duties early on with Phillips has been training well too.

I really couldn't tell you, really. Tough choices really to be made.

Thanks for the insights! Terrific to have such depth and competition for spots.

While I think we have upgrades on our list for the likes of Wills, Mayne, Noble, C.Brown, Varcoe and Reid, it’s great that those guys are fighting so hard to retain their spots and forcing the aspiring replacements to step up and claim them via compelling performance, rather than being gifted spots in the 22.

It’s nice but very un-Collingwood-like to have so few sidelined with injury. Surely it can’t last!

While I think we have upgrades on our list for the likes of Wills, Mayne, Noble, C.Brown, Varcoe and Reid, it’s great that those guys are fighting so hard to retain their spots and forcing the aspiring replacements to step up and claim them via compelling performance, rather than being gifted spots in the 22.

It’s nice but very un-Collingwood-like to have so few sidelined with injury. Surely it can’t last!

Is that Lucky Lee or Unlucky Lee??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think I might head down to this game if only to check out Rupert's hairdo.

I'm here. Here's the list of absentees:

Stephenson
De Goey
Elliott
Langdon
Beams
Dunn
Varcoe
Greenwood
Reid
Phillips
Roughead
Crisp
Murphy
Broomhead
Appleby
Maynard
Howe
Bosenavulagi
Mihocek

Looks like Sier has come off with a concussion.

playing our VFL team then?

Adams and Keane seem to be the only two playing with any sort of intensity at a constant pace. Moore, Sidebottom and Wills have shown flashes. Rest seem to be coasting. Carlton players seem to think they're playing for points, as does the home crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back