Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Calm down buddy, we did beat the Dogs by 9 goals on their deck, without Treloar, Greenwood, Langdon, Stephenson etc...Mihocek is fine, Stephenson will be back in round 2, Cox limped off but has no concerns.
Also look at the positives, Pendles, Sidey, DeGoey, Grundy, Adams, Moore all look super fit after the lockdown, the young guns waiting in the wings, like Quaynor, Bianco who looks impressive on the track, and we have seen T Brown in round 1, look super impressive. Also, I wouldn't have played Treloar until round 3 or 4 anyway.
And it is frustrating for Reidy, as the guy always works hard to get back, but breaks down. I couldn't imagine his frustrations in getting continuity into his game.
Why do some supporters always have to see the doom and gloom in the club!!
Beams is just an unfortunate circumstance that cannot be avoided. Someone's mental health is priority over footy, and we gave up draft picks and all that, but once the Beams situation is finalised between the club and him in terms of a settlement, the silver lining maybe we get to keep Moore, DeGoey and Mihocek. Go Pies!!!

I am calm. I just stated facts. Is your "go Pies!" meant to infer you are a passionate Pies fan and I am not? We will beat most sides with key players missing as we have done the past two years-that is not a consolation. The worry is when we encounter the top teams- it happened to us in 2018 and 2019 during the GF and Prelim last year. A five point and a four point (?) loss which ended our seasons. If DeGoey, Greenwood and Cox were available in last years prelim I have no doubt we win. If Moore plays in 2018, we win. It was the height of the Eagles forward line which got us in the end.

How can you not understand the effect of key players missing on our dreams of ultimate success? Even in the coming game we play the premiers at full strength and with a shortened season four points are more precious than they have ever been. Do you think the Tigers may have an advantage having a full list to select from? Would you like to be playing the Tigers minus Cotchin and Grimes (our Treloar and Langdon)? I would. They could talk up the blooding of new fresh faces and I would be rubbing my hand together in glee. Get real.

Why should I get excited because our uninjured players are in tip top shape when the team we are playing has everyone in that condition?

If our history of endless injuries to key players does not frustrate you then you are not as invested in the game as some others might be.
GO PIES!

I am calm. I just stated facts. Is your "go Pies!" meant to infer you are a passionate Pies fan and I am not? We will beat most sides with key players missing as we have done the past two years-that is not a consolation. The worry is when we encounter the top teams- it happened to us in 2018 and 2019 during the GF and Prelim last year. A five point and a four point (?) loss which ended our seasons. If DeGoey, Greenwood and Cox were available in last years prelim I have no doubt we win. If Moore plays in 2018, we win. It was the height of the Eagles forward line which got us in the end.

How can you not understand the effect of key players missing on our dreams of ultimate success? Even in the coming game we play the premiers at full strength and with a shortened season four points are more precious than they have ever been. Do you think the Tigers may have an advantage having a full list to select from? Would you like to be playing the Tigers minus Cotchin and Grimes (our Treloar and Langdon)? I would. They could talk up the blooding of new fresh faces and I would be rubbing my hand together in glee. Get real.

Why should I get excited because our uninjured players are in tip top shape when the team we are playing has everyone in that condition?

If our history of endless injuries to key players does not frustrate you then you are not as invested in the game as some others might be.
GO PIES!

We have played in a grand final in 2018, and played in a preliminary final last year.
Players get injured at every club mate, l have confidence in the ability and talent of our list to cover injuries we may get during the season.
Because l don't get negative about the clubs injuries like you, l am not invested in the game. Well l am very invested in the game and the club, as my 16+ year membership would tell you.
If you feel so negative about the injuiries and, in your mind, the clubs inability to prevent them, go follow someone else or another sport. We don't need negativity especially in these times..Floreat Pica..Go PIES!!

GO PIES!

GO PIES!

Where has that been reported? I’ve not seen anything on it.
From the Herald-Sun. I don't know if they're saying he doesn't have a hamstring strain or he has one and is recovering OK?:

Collingwood will remain cautious with Ben Reid as the veteran swingman plots his return to football.
The Magpies were adamant on Thursday that Reid — who has a lengthy history with soft-tissue injuries — had not suffered any setback with his hamstring.

Club medical staff have opted to take a cautious approach with the 31-year-old, who is unlikely to be available for the Pies’ Round 2 clash with Richmond on June 11.

He did not play in Round 1 — in March — due to an ankle complaint.

It was determined that due to his history, age and the added precautions surrounding returning to football after such a lengthy lay-off due to football’s hiatus amid coronavirus, that Reid would be best served by not pushing himself.

From the Herald-Sun:

Collingwood will remain cautious with Ben Reid as the veteran swingman plots his return to football.
The Magpies were adamant on Thursday that Reid — who has a lengthy history with soft-tissue injuries — had not suffered any setback with his hamstring.

Club medical staff have opted to take a cautious approach with the 31-year-old, who is unlikely to be available for the Pies’ Round 2 clash with Richmond on June 11.

He did not play in Round 1 — in March — due to an ankle complaint.

It was determined that due to his history, age and the added precautions surrounding returning to football after such a lengthy lay-off due to football’s hiatus amid coronavirus, that Reid would be best served by not pushing himself.

Thanks for that, so obviously Reid isn’t injured. I’ve just seen in the Rd2 changes thread someone posting he’d injured his calf - must have confused Ben with his brother Sam seeing as the Swans reported Sam’s calf injury on Monday.

We have played in a grand final in 2018, and played in a preliminary final last year.
Players get injured at every club mate, l have confidence in the ability and talent of our list to cover injuries we may get during the season.
Because l don't get negative about the clubs injuries like you, l am not invested in the game. Well l am very invested in the game and the club, as my 16+ year membership would tell you.
If you feel so negative about the injuiries and, in your mind, the clubs inability to prevent them, go follow someone else or another sport. We don't need negativity especially in these times..Floreat Pica..Go PIES!!

Reality is not negativity.

2010 we had no injuries we flag. Its a huge part of winning ie getting your best out there. Hawthorn took Rioli off in a reserves GF to make sure he was ready, time and again they lost players but made sure they were back for the finals.

Injuries cost us the 2018 flag, that is a fact, probably cost us 2011 also so if you can't live in the real world and apply objective analysis then please don't put those down who can. I can flip your argument and say its people like you who do not deal in reality that cost us flags because they do not demand the problems get fixed. But that would be just as dumb cos at the end of the day we are supporters and what we say, think, etc simply does not impact on outcomes in anyway.

Grow up.

Calm down buddy, we did beat the Dogs by 9 goals on their deck, without Treloar, Greenwood, Langdon, Stephenson etc...Mihocek is fine, Stephenson will be back in round 2, Cox limped off but has no concerns.
Also look at the positives, Pendles, Sidey, DeGoey, Grundy, Adams, Moore all look super fit after the lockdown, the young guns waiting in the wings, like Quaynor, Bianco who looks impressive on the track, and we have seen T Brown in round 1, look super impressive. Also, I wouldn't have played Treloar until round 3 or 4 anyway.
And it is frustrating for Reidy, as the guy always works hard to get back, but breaks down. I couldn't imagine his frustrations in getting continuity into his game.
Beams is just an unfortunate circumstance that cannot be avoided. Someone's mental health is priority over footy, and we gave up draft picks and all that, but once the Beams situation is finalised between the club and him in terms of a settlement, the silver lining maybe we get to keep Moore, DeGoey and Mihocek. Go Pies!!!
A fit Reid even at he age is best 22 IMO

Spot on. Houli being likely unavailable is a bigger loss to the Tiges than Treloar to us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reality is not negativity.

2010 we had no injuries we flag. Its a huge part of winning ie getting your best out there. Hawthorn took Rioli off in a reserves GF to make sure he was ready, time and again they lost players but made sure they were back for the finals.

Injuries cost us the 2018 flag, that is a fact, probably cost us 2011 also so if you can't live in the real world and apply objective analysis then please don't put those down who can. I can flip your argument and say its people like you who do not deal in reality that cost us flags because they do not demand the problems get fixed. But that would be just as dumb cos at the end of the day we are supporters and what we say, think, etc simply does not impact on outcomes in anyway.

Grow up.

Injuries happen, football is a high octane, high impact sport, and these guys are finely tuned athletes, so if something goes a miss, then a hammy will pop, or a soft tissue will tear. If you think injuries should not happen or shouldn't occur regularly then you have no idea about the sport.
All clubs have injuries, and the Giants beating us in the prelim last year, with half their side out, goes completely against your argument, of needing your best side to win finals.
If you want to come on here and complain and whine about the club and its mismanagement then go ahead, but l wont go down that road.
We lost the 2018 GF in the last 90 seconds, and it took a great kick in the end to defeat us. If that 90 seconds went our way, then your issue with injuries wouldn't even be a discussion. So you grow up....

Last edited:
Yep. People need to stop being so negative. It will be fine. The depth and talent we have is unreal. Our round 1 performance proves we don’t NEED Treloar, Greenwood, Stephenson etc to win.

Thanks for that, so obviously Reid isn’t injured. I’ve just seen in the Rd2 changes thread someone posting he’d injured his calf - must have confused Ben with his brother Sam seeing as the Swans reported Sam’s calf injury on Monday.

Knowing Ben's luck, he caught Sam's calf injury in lockdown

I will watch your posts with interest this year. Am I to assume to never have anything negative to say about the players, coaching or running of the club? How is it in any way a sign of disloyalty or lack of care for our club if you express frustration over their inability to keep our best players on the park? Have I been abusive or dishonest?

I've watched the Pies lose or draw 12 grand finals in my time. I've seen two victories. I have been going to support them since I was five. I get frustrated when we continually have clusters of good players missing through injury. It has gone on for years. As the season progresses I will support the boys as passionately as I always have and I will express exasperation when key players go down-especially when Richmond continually play at close to full strength on a yearly basis. (Last year was the first time they encountered a little injury strife) but every player was back and in form by the time the finals came around.

Last edited:
Yep. People need to stop being so negative. It will be fine. The depth and talent we have is unreal. Our round 1 performance proves we don’t NEED Treloar, Greenwood, Stephenson etc to win.
Against the Dogs? Would you like to play West Coast or the Giants with those boys out? I'd prefer them in.

I will watch your posts with interest this year. Am I to assume to never have anything negative to say about the players, coaching or running of the club? How is it in any way a sign of disloyalty or lack of care for our club if you express frustration over their inability to keep our best players on the park? Have I been abusive or dishonest?

I've watched the Pies lose or draw 12 grand finals in my time. I seen two victories. I have been going to support them since I was five. I get frustrated when we continually have clusters of good players missing through injury. It has gone on for years. As the season progresses I will support the boys as passionately as I always have and I will express exasperation when key players go down-especially when Richmond continually play at close to full strength on a yearly basis. (Last year was the first time they encountered a little injury strife) but every player was back and in form by the time the finals came around.
Problem is positivity - you don't have it. You're a negative nelly, you've twice used 'frustration' and once 'exasperated' , you refer to players getting injured in 'clusters', that it's 'continual', 'gone on for years', and there's an 'inability' to keep players on the park. You paint a dark, sinister picture of our injury situation. Truth be known, you're probably not far wrong!

I've watched the Pies lose or draw 12 grand finals in my time. I seen two victories. I have been going to support them since I was five. I get frustrated when we continually have clusters of good players missing through injury. It has gone on for years. As the season progresses I will support the boys as passionately as I always have and I will express exasperation when key players go down-especially when Richmond continually play at close to full strength on a yearly basis. (Last year was the first time they encountered a little injury strife) but every player was back and in form by the time the finals came around.

As long as l see effort in our performances, which l consistently see with this group of players, why will we want to bag the players, coaches or club?
Anyway, what players are currently out injured who will be coming back in to strengthen the side more than it is already?
Treloar, will play once fit. I would actually hold him over to the next block of games, to have him fit and firing towards the business end of thus shortened season. Reid and Varcoe are out, both great servants of the club, but both more than likely in their last years, and not sure they are consistently best 22.
On the other side of the coin, Beams and Langdon, sadly to say l don't think both will play another game for the Pies. Beamer, as we know has practically retired, and l expect Langers will do the same, unfortunately, at seasons end. Both have hardly played or not at all the past 1 to 2 seasons.
Greenwood, a great role player for us, but not going to make the difference between a win or a loss.
Stephenson will play round 2.
Who else is out injured that you think is vital to the side in order for us to win the flag?

Here we are whinging about Reid who isn’t injured while the Swans just lost buddy for most of the season from a training hamstring. Imagine having the most expensive player in the league on your books who couldn’t get on the park....

Problem is positivity - you don't have it. You're a negative nelly, you've twice used 'frustration' and once 'exasperated' , you refer to players getting injured in 'clusters', that it's 'continual', 'gone on for years', and there's an 'inability' to keep players on the park. You paint a dark, sinister picture of our injury situation. Truth be known, you're probably not far wrong!
Nice work TGG. I thought you'd bought yourself into a stoush until the last line. Hopefully Domus gets that far. (actually I secretly hope he doesn't and tears stripes off you.)

Against the Dogs? Would you like to play West Coast or the Giants with those boys out? I'd prefer them in.
We can play anyone and win. Bulldogs aren’t that bad, they’ve come close to us twice last year and killed us with their transition. We weren’t at full strength and still smacked them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back