Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Another perfect morning in Melbourne for training at this time of year.

- 4 x 20mins quarter of match simulation, commencing a bit after 9.30am. Blacks vs Whites.
- Ancillary training afterwards (I left) and paired run throughs at the end of each quarter
- Absentees Cox, Beams, Greenwood, Treloar. Rehab group Appleby (quite a bit of running), Reid (little less than Apples), Langdon
- Notable attendees - Dunn, Broomhead, Mihocek, Roughead all played the full 4 quarters
- Injuries - Bianco, sore right shoulder after Daicos leapt to take a mark and had a heavy collision with him in 4Q. Came off in the end.
- Coaches - Buckley (main umpire), Sanderson, Boyd (came on late for Bianco), Selwood

Approximate scores Black team kicked about 8.6:54 to defeat the White team 6.5:41
- Dewy conditions to commence and skills were scrappy and scoring was a bit slow early. White team kicking to the Yarra End with a bit of a breeze and eventually got on top in 1Q kicking the first 4 goals to 0.1 at quarter time.
- 2Q standard improved as the ground dried out. Black team improved with the aid of the breeze too but trailled 4.1 to 3.2 at half time.
- 3Q time Whites with noses in front 6.1 to 5.4, but you expect that the better credentialled black team would get on top with the aid of the breeze in 4Q.
- That's how it turned out with the black team kicking the final 3 goals of the match in 4Q. Bit scrappy as players tired in the end.

Performances/observations from some of the less heralded
Noble (BOG) - very lively as a run and link man and must have gone close to having 30 touches and generally used it pretty well. Lock for Rd1
Murphy - lots of intercept marks and used it pretty well generally.
Bianco - had some nice touches by foot
Dunn - had some nice field kicking
Sier - shaded by Wills, but was busier than Monday
Rantall - awkward kick but motors on and plays on-ball all day
Kelly - panics a bit at this early stage of his career and field kicking is shaky, but is now a nice height. Plays forward
T Brown - nice poise in traffic but doesn't get much of the ball
C Brown - really does go hard and progressively worked his way into the contest
Atu - unsighted
Broomhead - almost as unsighted as Atu
Ruscoe - does some nice things
Sharanberg - pretty quiet. Murphy more influential
Wilson - does some nice things. Played mainly on a wing
IQ - shows some run and physicality but doesn't tend to get much of the ball. Noble ahead of him.
Thomas - almost as unsighted as Atu and Broomhead but played more around the middle of the field
WHE - also relatively quiet but had some nice possessions
Stephenson - busy early and looked the most dangerous forward. Kicking lets him down

Also
Langdon - started later but did some jogging, then some run throughs, some turning work and then some gentle kicking. Most I have seen from him this season. Ever polite, he responded "That's nice of you to say" when I encouragingly noted it was good to see him back out there
Steele - wore jumper 33, Wills wore No 8
Magden took a heavy bump from Grundy and eventually shook it off. Grundy demonstrates his physicality in the ruck and around the ground

Goals
Blacks - Elliott 2, Steele 2, Daicos, Kelly, Pendles, 1 other
Whites - DeGoey 3, Rantall, Mihocek, Cameron

Best
Blacks - Noble, Grundy, Howe, Daicos, Elliott, Murphy
White - De Goey, Moore, Crisp, Wills, Phillips

Other players on each team (from memory)
Blacks - Sier, C Brown, Roughead, Ruscoe, Wilson, Broomhead, Stephenson, WHE, Maynard, Mayne
Whites - Adams, Bianco, T Brown, Varcoe, Dunn, Atu, IQ, Sharanberg, Thomas, Magden, Lynch

I'll leave it to eagle-eyed Jen to correct my errors! Brad Boyd!

I arrived at training about 9:10am, and they were only starting to come out onto the group and doing a little warm up. They probably began their official stretching and warm up about 9:30.

Only players not in attendance:
Cox
Greenwood (saw him later on, so clearly been doing something)
Treloar

Reid and Appleby ran laps, then each went inside. They didn't seem hampered or anything. Nothing really serious wrong them them IMO
Langdon -- I'll get to him later.

Once warm up was done, they went straight into their groups. Blacks -- which they wore the indigineous guernsey (maybe being recognition week) and the white team which just wore the white training top.

Pretty solid session match sim wise. S
*Noble was everywhere. He gets better every week. His speed off half back, his ball use was really noticable.
* Some really classy stuff from Daicos.
*Varcoe playing in defense, and it suits him. Given his class and able to put on pressure in the backhalf.
*De Goey had stints in the forward line also in the centre. Elliott the same.
* Moore showing his athleticism down back.
*Dunn did some nice stuff first real session back.
*There was an applause to signal that Varcoe and Dunn would be joining the main group.
*Bianco went down after a collisiion. Hopefully just a bit sore, and nothing serious.
*The boys got tired in the last half of the quarter I reckon, but they went hard at it for most of the session. Definitely big improvement over Monday.

I saw Mayne getting worked on the ground, then he got up and talked to a trainer, then went inside. So I'm not sure what's wrong with him.
Also Moore left the field before the end, but given he ran off the ground, he didn't seem to be in any trouble. Hopefully just management and nothing serious there either.

But Mihochek is absolutely fine. Roughy too.

Now, Langdon.

First he was walking around with a trainer. Then did some running, decent running at that for a while later in the session, during match sim play. Then once the boys were having a break, he went over and put on his boots, and I thought.. Oh, what's going on here.
He then proceeded to still work with a trainer, but did some kicking and marking, which I was impressed with. It had been more than I had seen him in ages. First time I had seen him kick a ball in a year.

But that wasn't all.
Then after match sim, the boys were split up and did their individual things. Whether that was centre work, or marking drills with the backline coach, or whether it was goal kicking for the forwards.
Langdon went to the backline with the defenders, took off his yellow bib, and then proceeded to work with matty boyd and another coach with the others where they were working on marking. To see Langdon actually with his line group was really pleasing. To me. THAT IS IMPROVEMENT. I was very happy with his progress today. I definitely think there is reason to have hope. He seemed happy as well to be with them, doing footy drills.

I arrived at training about 9:10am, and they were only starting to come out onto the group and doing a little warm up. They probably began their official stretching and warm up about 9:30.

Only players not in attendance:
Cox
Greenwood (saw him later on, so clearly been doing something)
Treloar

Reid and Appleby ran laps, then each went inside. They didn't seem hampered or anything. Nothing really serious wrong them them IMO
Langdon -- I'll get to him later.

Once warm up was done, they went straight into their groups. Blacks -- which they wore the indigineous guernsey (maybe being recognition week) and the white team which just wore the white training top.

Pretty solid session match sim wise. S
*Noble was everywhere. He gets better every week. His speed off half back, his ball use was really noticable.
* Some really classy stuff from Daicos.
*Varcoe playing in defense, and it suits him. Given his class and able to put on pressure in the backhalf.
*De Goey had stints in the forward line also in the centre. Elliott the same.
* Moore showing his athleticism down back.
*Dunn did some nice stuff first real session back.
*There was an applause to signal that Varcoe and Dunn would be joining the main group.
*Bianco went down after a collisiion. Hopefully just a bit sore, and nothing serious.
*The boys got tired in the last half of the quarter I reckon, but they went hard at it for most of the session. Definitely big improvement over Monday.

I saw Mayne getting worked on the ground, then he got up and talked to a trainer, then went inside. So I'm not sure what's wrong with him.
Also Moore left the field before the end, but given he ran off the ground, he didn't seem to be in any trouble. Hopefully just management and nothing serious there either.

But Mihochek is absolutely fine. Roughy too.

Now, Langdon.

First he was walking around with a trainer. Then did some running, decent running at that for a while later in the session, during match sim play. Then once the boys were having a break, he went over and put on his boots, and I thought.. Oh, what's going on here.
He then proceeded to still work with a trainer, but did some kicking and marking, which I was impressed with. It had been more than I had seen him in ages. First time I had seen him kick a ball in a year.

But that wasn't all.
Then after match sim, the boys were split up and did their individual things. Whether that was centre work, or marking drills with the backline coach, or whether it was goal kicking for the forwards.
Langdon went to the backline with the defenders, took off his yellow bib, and then proceeded to work with matty boyd and another coach with the others where they were working on marking. To see Langdon actually with his line group was really pleasing. To me. THAT IS IMPROVEMENT. I was very happy with his progress today. I definitely think there is reason to have hope. He seemed happy as well to be with them, doing footy drills.

"Also Moore left the field before the end, but given he ran off the ground, he didn't seem to be in any trouble."

I was in Sydney one evening when he ran off the ground and didn't seem in trouble. Then Buddy cut us apart and Madgen learned a hard lesson. It was very, very close .... And from there on I think I've blacked out.

Yeah, and one will go.... Pity is, we know Sier could be a player. Wills though IS a player (B, but still solid) right now. Who do you lose, the one whose playing firsts? I think not.

classic conundrum of hard worker with average skill v the lazy player with talent.
My hope is that the old adage holds - form is temporary but class is permanent. So Sier is my choice.
I have no doubt however that Wills would be picked up by another club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez I’d love to see Kelly play as the 3rd tall, replace WHE if form stays low.
Really need to get games into him when we can, not calling for it right now but soon

"Also Moore left the field before the end, but given he ran off the ground, he didn't seem to be in any trouble."

I was in Sydney one evening when he ran off the ground and didn't seem in trouble. Then Buddy cut us apart and Madgen learned a hard lesson. It was very, very close .... And from there on I think I've blacked out.
And the scans came back clear but he didn't play again in 2018 after being seen as an unacceptable risk for the granny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back