Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I must be quite burned, because in training reports, the first thing I'm looking for is injured.

I don't like: "Beams, Langdon, Broomhead, Reid and Moore."

Moore... and Langdon... damn.
Moore is just crook apparently

Where you get that Info From?

Jaidyn Stephenson is expecting to be able to rejoin full training in early February as he works his way back to fitness from a bout of glandular fever.

Premiership defender Ben Reid was absent as he helps his family deal with the bushfires that have kept the north-eastern Victorian town of Bright on high alert in the past fortnight while the Magpies confirmed Darcy Moore was ill.

thanks for the report, and it encouraging that Wilson has a decent tank, cause he was gasping for air in his first few training sessions. I must say Im surprised you tar Scotty Burns with the same dodgy kicking brush as Taylor Adams. I always thought Burns was a good reliable kick

Burns was solid, but he typically went long and high to a contest (as was the game plan at the tone) rather than hitting up players precisely with bullets

- Langdon's continued absence is the most concerning, even though we have cover. Gives Murphy an excellent chance to take one of Aish or Greenwood's spot in the team. Pleased to see another good time trial performance.
- Agree, Beams will not return. A shame for us and him
- I saw Jordan De Goey at the front of the participants at the start line of the time trial (which I was encouraged by). I read Jen's report and I don't see him listed as a finisher. Am I mistaken and it was in fact Joel Creasey at the front of the time trial group?!
- Nice practical decision to merge the training threads under the one banner

Yes I am worried about Langdon missing. Beams will not be back but it is increasingly likely that Tommy will be absent for a long time.

Collingwood said it is unclear when Reid and Moore will return to training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed Elliott and Grundy on the news having a great conversation and affirmation session during training.
How do you know it was a great conversation?

- Langdon's continued absence is the most concerning, even though we have cover. Gives Murphy an excellent chance to take one of Aish or Greenwood's spot in the team. Pleased to see another good time trial performance.
- Agree, Beams will not return. A shame for us and him
- I saw Jordan De Goey at the front of the participants at the start line of the time trial (which I was encouraged by). I read Jen's report and I don't see him listed as a finisher. Am I mistaken and it was in fact Joel Creasey at the front of the time trial group?!
- Nice practical decision to merge the training threads under the one banner
I must edit that, he did finish the time trial.

I found this on a site called Extreme Black and White which I sometimes read but it is not as busy as here. This person called Annabelle is a bit flowery but seems to say that Langers was walking at the club early with Broomy and they did not return. At least he is still being sighted.

I arrived very early in anticipation of the guys hitting the track before the heat took effect.

The sky was almost blanched white, it was lacking in vitality and there was a dusting of fluffy pale clouds which looked innocuous ahead of the forecast more spiteful weather.

Way before the rest of the group hit the track Langers and Broomhead walked past me in their training gear and disappeared over the distant hills, not to be seen again. I caught something along the lines of ‘áway from the club’, so assumed they were going for a long tour of the inner city environs.

The first out were IQ and Magden, closely followed by Howe, JDG, the Irish pair, Wills and Tyler Brown.

After disrobing to don their monitors, they all participated in a casual kick to kick session accompanied by a lively soundtrack of their anecdotes from their Christmas break. It was alike first day back at school after holidays reprised.

In matters tonsorial, as the Warburton lad might observe, JDG’s hair had become intimate with a bottle of peroxide and his blindingly bleached locks may assist him in attracting some Brownlow votes. Stevo who tooks things quietly with some running and jogging on the sidelines has shaved his hair off but covered this with cap. Dunn is still sporting a mullet, while Shaz appeared to be somewhat shorn. Regarding hats, Dunn and Maynard always wear theirs back to front.

Basically, today’s session involved a warm-up to the time trial, the time trial and lots of drills which featured close-in skills, in addition to some activity which took the whole of the ground. I left during one of the drills so not sure if they progressed to match simulation, though I recall on the first day back last summer they did do some of this.

People will be pleased to note that there were ground under repair signs which were removed after the players entered the arena. The oval itself looks like the ‘ G on the first day of a Boxing Day test. It is as verdant as an English village green and looks even and smooth as silk.

The Irish guy told them after their desultory kicking that this would be an intense warming up, presumably to dust off the collective cobwebs from possibly dormant muscles. After their lap and extensive set of exercises at the tennis arena end, they did some run throughs at a reasonable pace before assembling for the time trial. Adams has shed the moon boot and is back in skills training mode. Shaz sported a light support on his left knee but moved well.

This is always interesting to watch and I got up close and personal where you can gauge the players’ level of comfort as they pass you on the various laps.

Interestingly Rantall got off to a flying start and he was really powering away and running evenly throughout, until Steele reeled him in about towards the end. Wilson and Kelly had been really close to the front early but the former dropped back a bit. Lynch finished third and his aerobic capacity is impressive for a big unit. His locks also seem to be acquainted with an artificial substance. Kelly and Murphy finished in the top five with Howe on their heels. This demonstrates that Kelly’s tank looks good, while Nathan returning to full training and time-trialling, augurs well for his 2020 season.
Wills ran quite well, while JDG was not disgraced and kept in touch with the main group.

Grundy usually finished last and early it looked like he might be the penultimate runner to cross the line, however big Cox managed to overtake him. These last two were gasping audibly but it’s not an easy gig for those over 100kgs. It must be noted that while always bringing up the rear, Brodie does not have any issues with endurance during the season proper.

Mark Keane who was tracking well early, started to struggle, dropped back and looked visibly distressed after the race. He was taken inside by a trainer. I have a feeling that the Irish guys went home over the break so the contrasting climatic conditions may have taken a toll on the big red-headed rookie.

Phillips did not run which detracted from the potential “grudge” race as Jay had taking his mantle as the time-trial king before the break. Tom did some light running and kicking at the car-park end as he battles what is reported to be a minor niggle.

As expected Dayne Beams was not in attendance. In good news Levi is moving well and looking strong in the rehab group. Darcy Moore was unsighted but is apparently ill.

There was a bit of rustiness during the skills session, but after a break, a time-trial and with the humid conditions being a little oppressive, it is understandable if all players weren’t delivering their passes with aplomb and scooping the balls from the deck with alacrity. There is definitely scope for improvement. I noted that Cameron did the time-trial and seemed to be back in regular training. He did a limited amount of work during the session I attended prior to Christmas.

Yes I am worried about Langdon missing. Beams will not be back but it is increasingly likely that Tommy will be absent for a long time.

Collingwood said it is unclear when Reid and Moore will return to training.
Has the club actually said what the deal is with Langdon? What surgery did he have? Whats his time frame for recovery? It would have to be the most mysterious knee issue Ive seen, but hey, this is Collingwood.

Has the club actually said what the deal is with Langdon? What surgery did he have? Whats his time frame for recovery? It would have to be the most mysterious knee issue Ive seen, but hey, this is Collingwood.
No they have not. I just keep hearing rumours that Langers may not play again.

It is time they came clean with him and others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back