Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

After at least 12 month's of discussion on various forums about our inadequate mid-field clearances, I'm still not clear on whose fault it is.
What I do know is that we have two Brownlow winning centre men as our senior and assistant coaches and even they can't seem to rectify the problem.
Does this suggest we just don't have the necessary type of players to excel at centre bounces? Perhaps it's that we have them, but they are never all fit to play at the one time? :think:

Wow, of all the clubs - this one, I mean this one doesn't have the cattle to cover the midfield?

Nah, this team more than any other is a role for role team, we have an over abundance of mid types. The issue is not personnel to cover, and I'm not exactly sure why the Ruck / rove thing is not happening as smoothly as one would like but it's not lack of personnel at any one time.

At some point they'll get it clicking in regularity, then it becomes a serious problem for the oppositions.

Do the boys have some time off or something? Noticed most of them going away. Possibly a much lighter week heading into state of origin and Marsh series?

Pebbles is our ruck coach. He was a part time ruck at best. Grundy is great around the ground, but his tapwork is nowhere near as adept as Gawn (or even Mason Cox for mine).
Why he persists in tapping it down to his own feet in the manner he does I do not understand. We have no big bodied beasts like Cripps, Dangerfield, Fyfe or to a lesser extent Martin who hit the ball on the run and clear a path with their big bodies.
De Goey is the exception for us and is capable.
Again on Thursday night, he knocked it from a boundary throw in for 5-10 metres to a position where there were 3 opposition and none of our own (which is often the case boundary side when we are set up). I do not understand why he/we keep playing in this manner.

I wouldn't be pointing the blame at Grundy or Pebbles. Knocking it at his feet is our clearance strategy, I don't think either of them get to make that call on that.

Problem is I don't think Club Rates Taps by Ruckman.

Grundy has come sort of a Ruck Coach as Been Reported that Grundy been spending lot of time with Max Lynch over the Pre-Season

I think they do Dave. I think it's more that we as supporters overrate the advantage Grundy gives us in the ruck based purely on the quantum of tapouts. His numbers "to advantage" aren't as high as you'd like and more often than ruckmen are always limited in this aspect when wrestling a 200cm+ 100kg+ opponent.

Pebbles is our ruck coach. He was a part time ruck at best. Grundy is great around the ground, but his tapwork is nowhere near as adept as Gawn (or even Mason Cox for mine).
Why he persists in tapping it down to his own feet in the manner he does I do not understand. We have no big bodied beasts like Cripps, Dangerfield, Fyfe or to a lesser extent Martin who hit the ball on the run and clear a path with their big bodies. De Goey is the exception for us and is capable.
Again on Thursday night, he knocked it from a boundary throw in for 5-10 metres to a position where there were 3 opposition and none of our own (which is often the case boundary side when we are set up). I do not understand why he/we keep playing in this manner.

How much of that is the greater physical (height, reach) aspects and/or athleticism (leap) aspects if you add a guy like Ryder to the discussion? My read is that Grundy has a greater reliance on strength in those contests than some of his contemporaries. While it may allow him to gain the tap, it limits his control.

Has De Goey been training with the main group? I read an article where they were comparing Petracca to De Goey and it said De Goey has barely trained with the main group this pre season, but i could of sworn i have read Jen say he has been in full training.

Has De Goey been training with the main group? I read an article where they were comparing Petracca to De Goey and it said De Goey has barely trained with the main group this pre season, but i could of sworn i have read Jen say he has been in full training.
I think someone mentioned he had been in for scans last week. Not sure what for. Jen/Apples/etc will know whether he's being managed to any extent.

If you believe Robert Harvey, he has put together a very solid 3 week block and will likely play Sunday against Richmond.

Interested to know how training looks this week. Usually with a game on Sunday, the boys will have the light run Saturday, with main trainings on Wednesday and Friday. Not sure about today?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pebbles is our ruck coach. He was a part time ruck at best.
During his peak, Matt Rendell was the best ruckman in the league. He's currently working for us in recruitment.
I'd be listening to anything he had to say regarding ruck work. Especially given pebbles was never an accomplished ruckman.

During his peak, Matt Rendell was the best ruckman in the league. He's currently working for us in recruitment.
I'd be listening to anything he had to say regarding ruck work. Especially given pebbles was never an accomplished ruckman.

Pebbles was a very good ruckman. His issue was he didn't have the endurance to run out of sight on a very dark night so he was rarely asked to play the role, well that and the fact he was also a very good CHF so you're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Rendell is occasionally seen at training working with the rucks. Even Peter Moore has had the odd session.

Pebbles was a very good ruckman. His issue was he didn't have the endurance to run out of sight on a very dark night so he was rarely asked to play the role, well that and the fact he was also a very good CHF so you're robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Rendell is occasionally seen at training working with the rucks. Even Peter Moore has had the odd session.
If we can win our own ruck clearances, barring injury problems, we'll be there at the business end of the season.
To me, it's an area we should be dominating, but don't.
Fix that and then the only other issue is making some room in the silverware cabinet.

Offer Peter job as ruck coach, Darcy signs on. 2 birds, 1 stone. 👍

I think that's more about what supporters want rather than what Peter and Darcy want or what we need.

Except Peters wage will fall under the salary cap. There’s rules against exploiting that kind of stuff you know...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back