Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This is going to come across pretty blunt, but it’s the only attribute he possesses which is the biggest problem. He also can’t cash in on it because he’s too easily buffeted off the ball (high centre of gravity) and amazingly has poor hands. The bloke is 29 and entering his 6th season in the system. This is it for him there is no further upside. Regardless of age or background once you reach this point in your career you are what you are and a spike in performance only comes from a change in role.

What you need to weigh up is whether this is enough or not, but the fact is none of Geelong (JJ or Sav), Richmond (Lynch), GWS (Finlayson), WC (Kennedy) or Brisbane (McInerney) would be picking him and that’s just our closest competitors. Clubs like Fremantle (Lobb), Hawthorn (Lewis or Patton), Carlton (McKay) and St Kilda (King) also wouldn’t play him.

He isn’t someone we should be thankful to have rather someone we should be looking to upgrade or move on due to the size of his contract.

Yeah I agree that his greatest weapon (height) is also his achilles heel. In spite of that his best is good enough to be a reliable KPF, consistency is the issue - whether or not the lack of consistency is just a fact that he has occasional break out games out of the box and he just isn't that good or he just can't click consistently I don't know. At worst he does regularly take at least two defenders with him and provides a contest for the crummers.

I would hope this year he plays to that potential more often, would make him a worthwhile contributor.

Anyone know if we have an open training session on Friday? Have the day off so hoping to go get down to see whos flying!

I reckon big Mason will bring it this year. We almost all agree that the big blokes take longer. Mason is the biggest. But, he is amongst the smartest and works his Texan arse off to improve. Look where he's come from, to where he is.
With 2 good eyes and Billy feeding him, I reckon we will see great things!
And.
If I am wrong.
So be it.

This is going to come across pretty blunt, but it’s the only attribute he possesses which is the biggest problem. He also can’t cash in on it because he’s too easily buffeted off the ball (high centre of gravity) and amazingly has poor hands. The bloke is 29 and entering his 6th season in the system. This is it for him there is no further upside. Regardless of age or background once you reach this point in your career you are what you are and a spike in performance only comes from a change in role.

What you need to weigh up is whether this is enough or not, but the fact is none of Geelong (JJ or Sav), Richmond (Lynch), GWS (Finlayson), WC (Kennedy) or Brisbane (McInerney) would be picking him and that’s just our closest competitors. Clubs like Fremantle (Lobb), Hawthorn (Lewis or Patton), Carlton (McKay) and St Kilda (King) also wouldn’t play him.

He isn’t someone we should be thankful to have rather someone we should be looking to upgrade or move on due to the size of his contract.

Doesn't he have one of the highest Contested marks per game averages in the league?

I reckon big Mason will bring it this year. We almost all agree that the big blokes take longer. Mason is the biggest. But, he is amongst the smartest and works his Texan arse off to improve. Look where he's come from, to where he is.
And.
If I am wrong.
So be it.
Spoiler alert, you will be wrong.

We need to move on and quickly. I’m still bemused how long we have accepted as a club that our key forward options are sufficient

Spoiler alert, you will be wrong.

We need to move on and quickly. I’m still bemused how long we have accepted as a club that our key forward options are sufficient
Given our attempts to lure Tom Lynch I’m not sure the club has accepted that at all. It will be interesting to see what the club does at the end of the year if both Beams and Langdon retire. I don’t expect Cameron to be attainable, but there may be a chance of luring Finlayson with a contract that won’t break the bank.

Isn't Finlayson more a third tall type?
People keep saying that but I view him as GWS’ second tall behind Cameron (I think he’s more dangerous than Himmelberg) and he has the size/athletic profile to compliment our forward line and structures really well.

People keep saying that but I view him as GWS’ second tall behind Cameron (I think he’s more dangerous than Himmelberg) and he has the size/athletic profile to compliment our forward line and structures really well.
i rate Finlayson too.
GWS are different because they have a genuine 3 tall forward structure, dont think any other team last year did, but ive got a feeling more teams will do it this year (Geelong, St Kilda). Also just depends on match-ups, Himmelberg is really quick & would need a quick opponent, Finlayson is more of your instinctual forward, who knows where the goals are and can create chances out of nothing.
I hope we atleast show some interest in him & ask questions, id willingly give up our 1st round pick too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And.
If I am wrong.
So be it.
That's nice to think and he does try very hard, being last off the track most training sessions while working on his goal kicking.
We know his best is up to the grade, for example the Prelim '18. So it is within him to break a game open.
He also indicated to me that his eyes have recovered quite nicely from surgery.

His output is largely a matter of confidence - to hold his marks and then his set shot kicking will follow. It's the same for a lot of key forwards. Take Travis Cloke. Clunking marks and kicking 7 goals one week and then 1.7 a couple of weeks later.

The other primary factor is how we set up for him. Can we block his opponents and give him a cleaner run at it. Do we set the ball up for him to take a couple of steps at it and jump, rather than drilling the ball straight to him (in which case he seems to have trouble holding his marks). We need to lob the ball more to him in order to use his height advantage. Guys like Tay and Treloar, which have one gear in their kicking, often don't kick all that well to him given they try and kick the ball flat and piercing to him, which gives his opponents a better chance of spoiling. Cox is best when he has a chance to take a couple of steps and jump vertical, at which point he is well taller than any defender.

Unfortunately, from what I saw last week against Carlton, he was too easily knocked off his line and struggled to mark the ball (as did Darcy Cameron). I find his kicking to be pretty unreliable too. We may well have seen the best and likely frequently inconsistent output from Cox as a tall forward.

i rate Finlayson too.
GWS are different because they have a genuine 3 tall forward structure, dont think any other team last year did, but ive got a feeling more teams will do it this year (Geelong, St Kilda). Also just depends on match-ups, Himmelberg is really quick & would need a quick opponent, Finlayson is more of your instinctual forward, who knows where the goals are and can create chances out of nothing.
I hope we atleast show some interest in him & ask questions, id willingly give up our 1st round pick too.

I don't mind Finlayson, he could certainly help bolster our KPP stocks at either end of the ground. However i don't think I'd be getting the first round pick involved unless something of quality was coming back along with him.

He's also out of contract at the end of this year so not sure it would even come to that if we were seriously interested.

Question from interstate - who is definitely NOT available for Rd1? Langdon, Beams, Greenwood, Varcoe - any others?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Peter Moore's a pilot now!? There's no end to his talent.
Thought he was a lawyer

He is running out of time, the saving grace he wont get any shorter

Question from interstate - who is definitely NOT available for Rd1? Langdon, Beams, Greenwood, Varcoe - any others?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They're the ones definitely unavailable. Broomhead, Appleby and Dunn are also in rehab but likely to be available for selection.

Apologies, but pretty easy to read wrong the post when it immediately says after he's not Royce Hart. He is a lot better though.

Can we get back on topic now?

You keep doing it. There was no . after the "though" in the post you've quoted.

The full sentence was "He is a lot better though than many of the stopgap forwards that other teams have to put up in the tall forward/backup ruck slot." which has nothing to do with comparing him to Royce Hart, rather it compares him to his current contemporary's.

You keep doing it. There was no . after the "though" in the post you've quoted.

The full sentence was "He is a lot better though than many of the stopgap forwards that other teams have to put up in the tall forward/backup ruck slot." which has nothing to do with comparing him to Royce Hart, rather it compares him to his current contemporary's.
giphy (1).gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back