Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of lab league v VFL - I think the AFL would prefer draft year kids to play Nab League. More exposure given its meant to be thie "elite pathway" into the system. But Nick and Dib do seem physically ready for VFL, and it really doesn't matter where Nick lands within the first round, its not like he has to impress other clubs. Dib too.

VFL would be better for their development no doubt. Playing against men, like they do in the SANFL and WAFL. You'd think they would do a similar system here, rather than Nab League.
Maybe covid cuts doesn't help the cause, not all scouts or recruiters can go to state games, so easier to watch nab league games which are recorded.

I think this might have been overlooked in the follow up discussion, but we no longer have full access to Dib so his draft position is very important to the club. If he’s nominated within the first 20 picks on draft night we lose him. That said were I him I’d absolutely be going to the VFL over NAB league.

Part of the joy of Jan-Feb / pre-season and getting through the off season is the speculating on the young kids coming through, the newbies and those hoping for a break out year.

Great to listen to whose 'training the house down' and whose looking like a 'March Champion'.

Keeps it fun and gives us something to look forward to
And we have a lot more newbies on our list to speculate about than in recent years, which adds to the fun and sense of renewal. Personally, I love Poulter's highlights package. Can't wait to see how he goes once he bulks up a bit. He could be the best of the lot. (or a complete flop.) Gotta love pre-season!

I gather Fin Macrae has been away from the club due to the sad passing of his father. I gather he wont be playing on Friday, and does this rule him out of a possible round 1 debut?
I wouldn't think so. He may not have played on friday, or trained yesterday, but he could be back by this friday. If not, he would def play next week.

I wouldn't think so. He may not have played on friday, or trained yesterday, but he could be back by this friday. If not, he would def play next week.

That would be great to watch him play on Friday, but if not, hopefully he gets a run against Richmond. In saying that, however much time the young man needs, l hope he takes before returning to footy.

Absolutely, but some overage Vic kids request an extra year of u18s to improve their chances of getting drafted. Does anyone ever skip under 18s and play senior footy to improve their chances? I've not heard of it happening.
For mine, what's to be gained?
Risking him becoming a target of bigger mature players isn't what I'd do with him.

For mine, what's to be gained?
Risking him becoming a target of bigger mature players isn't what I'd do with him.

Have you seen the rig on the kid? He may be short in stature, but he's certainly spent some time in the gym.

1614133733395.png

Last edited:
Have you seen the rig on the kid? He may be short in stature, but he's certainly spent some time in the gym.
I'm drooling all over my lunch at the thought of him playing, but is still keep him in his own age group.
Our wise footy gods will make the decision for both of us.

That would be great to watch him play on Friday, but if not, hopefully he gets a run against Richmond. In saying that, however much time the young man needs, l hope he takes before returning to footy.
If he doesn’t play this week, when they are trying to give everyone a few quarters almost certain he won’t play against Richmond or round 1. The Richmond game will be a full dress rehearsal for round 1 and if he hasn’t played for 12 months and misses the Geelong game they won’t pick him.

Why would you, he has plenty of time to impress via the VFL

Then add in the likely chance that the blokes we picked in the 30s don't make it. (Not a comment on who we picked - I have no idea about them) But I struggle to see why people were impressed with our draft night trading. We traded a pick that may end up quite early for a couple of picks in the late 20s. Then throw in that next year's draft is considered stronger by most and that the 2020 draft was always going to be a short draft so you would have expected those picks to be cheaper than normal. I just can't see how we got reasonable bang for our buck. Fingers crossed that they judged the 2020 draft well and got it right.
I just wonder how the 2021 draft can be definitively said to be better when we don’t know how well the Vic boys developed in a lost year. All speculation. 2020 may end up being a great draft and possibly many top players picked outside the top 10. I suspect we won’t know for another 2 seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wonder how the 2021 draft can be definitively said to be better when we don’t know how well the Vic boys developed in a lost year. All speculation. 2020 may end up being a great draft and possibly many top players picked outside the top 10. I suspect we won’t know for another 2 seasons.
Just like the 2018 draft was definitively said to be better than 2017 before that draft year even began. Recruiters are on top of things years before these drafts happen. This years crop is said to rival 2018 for depth and talent, so there’s fairly little doubt that it’s going to be a good one, paticularly since there will no doubt be a few from last years crop that slipped though the cracks and will be added to the 2021 pool.

It's all speculation.

Higher standard footy at u16 level I suppose?

It can't be said definitively but the evidence available suggests its correct. Its all speculation to a degree. You are right we won't know for seasons but there is a reason most clubs didn't get into this draft and the reason we did was we were limited in options die to our cap squeeze. Without that our heavy buy in on medium to later draft picks is a strategy we would have avoided.

Its a bit of a long shot that it will pay off but we all have our fingers crossed Hine has picked the eyes out of it.

As Apex suggested, much of that will be based on monitoring U15's and U16's and assessing the quality and depth of the potential draft cohort. The fact list sizes were cut last year and fewer draftees taken means the cohort is now also swelled by a number of kids playing an overage year seeking to be drafted in 2021 also boosts it. Players like Langdon and McCreery for example who impress when they get that extra season at VFL or SANFL level. I think we'll also see numbers of players taken grow again now that the list cuts have been implemented and clubs have absorbed those cuts.

I think this might have been overlooked in the follow up discussion, but we no longer have full access to Dib so his draft position is very important to the club. If he’s nominated within the first 20 picks on draft night we lose him. That said were I him I’d absolutely be going to the VFL over NAB league.
he also gets to earn money whilst playing in the VFL right... can make a difference when youre an 18 year old kid.

Tuesday Feb 23rd.

Arrived before 9am, but they didnt start coming out til a bit past 9.

Only players that weren't there was.

Macrae, McCreery, De Goey and Reef.

Rehab group: Adams, Keane. Thomas/Ginnivan were running with them, but they aren't injured.

Went straight into match sim after they warmed up.

Briskey continues in the #39 like on friday.

Dib and Nick Daicos were there, trained the whole session with the boys. I overheard a conversation with his parents, who were sitting next to me on the bench, and bucks/and another coach. They mentioned that the boys had been coming in every tuesday during Feb, that during the break in the lab league, the boys will have a chance to play some VFL games.

Nick looked to be played half forward (lets not ruin his body in the midfield before he is drafted lol) and Dib at half back, alternating with Chuggy.

J.Daicos did half the session, some running then went inside. Management I imagine.

Two halves of match sim and then they did some drills. They did some stoppages stuff, man on the mark, throw ins, defensive plays.

Adams is almost 100%. Did lots of running and ball work.

Player mentions -
  • Noble played on the wing. Murphy too.
  • Daicos in the middle.
  • Grundy back to his best.
  • Tyler looking clean with the ball.
  • Bianco with beautiful ball use.
  • Strong hands from Cameron
  • Cal in the middle.
  • Kelly providing a presence up forward
  • Sidebottom causing mischief in the middle.
  • Defence is solid.
  • Howe getting his touch back (no hangers though yet)
Another great report Jen. All those new players rolling off your keyboard. I'm very jealous. Normally at this time of the year, I've been to most sessions and know the players by sight. It's odd this year but broken ankles are a bloody pain! My doctor might have good news next week. We'll see.
Now about Murphy, we've all been waiting and hoping. Two years ago I thought he was about to break into the team. He broke down instead. Now you and other training scribes are noting he's getting time on the wing as well as down back. How close is he to selection?

Anyone got E-Mail from club about Tomorrow's Stream yet?

Got an email on Tuesday and the following details were linked to it:

MEMBER EXCLUSIVE: Cats v Pies live stream
Collingwood and Geelong are set to broadcast a member exclusive live stream of Friday’s practice match at GHMBA Stadium

Collingwood and Geelong are set to broadcast a member exclusive live stream of Friday’s practice match at GHMBA Stadium.

The live stream will commence at 10.50am before an 11am bounce, which will be exclusive to members as a way of saying thank you for standing Side by Side with us this season.

It is not too late to sign up and still receive access to Friday’s stream. For more information about membership options, visit membership.collingwoodfc.com.au or tweet @PiesMembership.

A link will be sent to 2021 season members prior to the start of the match.

Please note, as per AFL COVID-19 protocols, fans won't be able to attend the match in person.

PRACTICE MATCH
Geelong v Collingwood
GMHBA Stadium
10.50am live stream start
11am bounce

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back