Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Haha yeah they did.
Dib will be starting his commerce course at Deakin in coming weeks. I believe Nick is doing a sports course at deakin. Overheard bucks said they had been coming in every tuesday during feb, also should be able to play a couple VFL games during the nab league break.

Hi Jen, while I’m sure you weren’t paying much attention (cough), how does Nick measure up size wise? In photos he looks to be reasonably well developed for his age. More so than his older brother at a similar age?

Dib and Nick finished year 12 last year.
This is the reason I think we should be signing both boys to the VFL program. It’s not going to interfere with school and would be super for their development, particularly with the shortened NAB league this year.

I wonder if it’s their choice to play NAB league or if the club has considered even investigating the idea of playing in the VFL full time. I would hope there’s not a rule stopping it!

Daicos in particular is clearly rated high enough and the club already showed its hand in recruiting him by trading out this years first rounder. I would think it’s more beneficial to have him full time in the VFL system than it is playing against 16 and 17 year olds with micky rules.

Without knowing anything about Dib except reading he’s a late first/early second it would be questionable if he’s good enough to play seniors at VFL level every week, I would think based on all reports Daicos would have no issues.
Dib isn’t in first round contention at this point. He looks like a 30+ pick right now. Agree with everything about the VFL though.

Tuesday Feb 23rd.

Arrived before 9am, but they didnt start coming out til a bit past 9.

Only players that weren't there was.

Macrae, McCreery, De Goey and Reef.

Rehab group: Adams, Keane. Thomas/Ginnivan were running with them, but they aren't injured.

Went straight into match sim after they warmed up.

Briskey continues in the #39 like on friday.

Dib and Nick Daicos were there, trained the whole session with the boys. I overheard a conversation with his parents, who were sitting next to me on the bench, and bucks/and another coach. They mentioned that the boys had been coming in every tuesday during Feb, that during the break in the lab league, the boys will have a chance to play some VFL games.

Nick looked to be played half forward (lets not ruin his body in the midfield before he is drafted lol) and Dib at half back, alternating with Chuggy.

J.Daicos did half the session, some running then went inside. Management I imagine.

Two halves of match sim and then they did some drills. They did some stoppages stuff, man on the mark, throw ins, defensive plays.

Adams is almost 100%. Did lots of running and ball work.

Player mentions -
  • Noble played on the wing. Murphy too.
  • Daicos in the middle.
  • Grundy back to his best.
  • Tyler looking clean with the ball.
  • Bianco with beautiful ball use.
  • Strong hands from Cameron
  • Cal in the middle.
  • Kelly providing a presence up forward
  • Sidebottom causing mischief in the middle.
  • Defence is solid.
  • Howe getting his touch back (no hangers though yet)

In terms of lab league v VFL - I think the AFL would prefer draft year kids to play Nab League. More exposure given its meant to be thie "elite pathway" into the system. But Nick and Dib do seem physically ready for VFL, and it really doesn't matter where Nick lands within the first round, its not like he has to impress other clubs. Dib too.

VFL would be better for their development no doubt. Playing against men, like they do in the SANFL and WAFL. You'd think they would do a similar system here, rather than Nab League.
Maybe covid cuts doesn't help the cause, not all scouts or recruiters can go to state games, so easier to watch nab league games which are recorded.

In terms of lab league v VFL - I think the AFL would prefer draft year kids to play Nab League. More exposure given its meant to be thie "elite pathway" into the system. But Nick and Dib do seem physically ready for VFL, and it really doesn't matter where Nick lands within the first round, its not like he has to impress other clubs. Dib too.

VFL would be better for their development no doubt. Playing against men, like they do in the SANFL and WAFL. You'd think they would do a similar system here, rather than Nab League.
Maybe covid cuts doesn't help the cause, not all scouts or recruiters can go to state games, so easier to watch nab league games which are recorded.

Would we be fully committed to Dib yet? Unless we're fully committed, it'd be unfair on him. He needs to play the standard that is the best chance of him getting drafted, which I suspect is NAB against his peers.

Would we be fully committed to Dib yet? Unless we're fully committed, it'd be unfair on him. He needs to play the standard that is the best chance of him getting drafted, which I suspect is NAB against his peers.
That's true, and I have noticed with NGA prospects -- even reef 12 months ago (heck even Reef didn't even know they were committed to him draft night) they don't commit to a player or let their intentions known, so as players you have to put your best foot forward in whatevever gets you noticed.

I would beg to differ. If Nick lands south of wherever the 1st round pick we traded away it will create huge ongoing speculation. Especially if the kid that gets picked with our 1st round pick turns out to be a star and better than Nick. Would create a comparison that would be unfair and we would always talk about the 1st rounder we gave away for Nick when we could have had both..

If the AFL prefer the kids to play NAB league then they shouldn’t have gutted it. Playing WAFL and SANFL doesn’t hurt the WA and SA kids chances of getting drafted. There’s no reason playing VFL would either.

Mr Bombastic

Cancelled
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tuesday Feb 23rd.

Rehab group: Adams, Keane. Thomas/Ginnivan were running with them, but they aren't injured.

Dib and Nick Daicos were there, trained the whole session with the boys. I overheard a conversation with his parents, who were sitting next to me on the bench, and bucks/and another coach. They mentioned that the boys had been coming in every tuesday during Feb, that during the break in the lab league, the boys will have a chance to play some VFL games.

Nick looked to be played half forward (lets not ruin his body in the midfield before he is drafted lol) and Dib at half back, alternating with Chuggy.

J.Daicos did half the session, some running then went inside. Management I imagine.

Two halves of match sim and then they did some drills. They did some stoppages stuff, man on the mark, throw ins, defensive plays.

Player mentions -
  • Daicos in the middle.
  • Cal in the middle.
  • Defence is solid.

Thanks as always, Jen! Where has Bianco been playing in match sim?
If Noble has been playing wing I wonder if we'd be looking at rotating Noble and Bianco through HBF/Wing?

This is the reason I think we should be signing both boys to the VFL program. It’s not going to interfere with school and would be super for their development, particularly with the shortened NAB league this year.

Watch the Media and Other Clubs Sook about IF we did

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tuesday Feb 23rd.

Player mentions -
  • Daicos in the middle.
  • Cal in the middle.
  • Defence is solid.

Thanks Jen

From what you’ve seen at training and scratch matches, if you had to name five starting midfielders (incl two wingmen) to accompany Grundy in Rd1, who would you select?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thanks Jen

From what you’ve seen at training and scratch matches, if you had to name five starting midfielders (incl two wingmen) to accompany Grundy in Rd1, who would you select?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Pendles, Adams, Daicos, JDG, I'm weighing up that last wing position either Tyler Brown/Macrae or Murphy.

Thanks as always, Jen! Where has Bianco been playing in match sim?
If Noble has been playing wing I wonder if we'd be looking at rotating Noble and Bianco through HBF/Wing?
He was in the middle. Might have been wing. Its bloody hard to see the other wing from where I stand. But I definitely wouldn't mind rotating the two. Similar height and between Noble's pace and Bianco's skills.

I would beg to differ. If Nick lands south of wherever the 1st round pick we traded away it will create huge ongoing speculation. Especially if the kid that gets picked with our 1st round pick turns out to be a star and better than Nick. Would create a comparison that would be unfair and we would always talk about the 1st rounder we gave away for Nick when we could have had both..

Then add in the likely chance that the blokes we picked in the 30s don't make it. (Not a comment on who we picked - I have no idea about them) But I struggle to see why people were impressed with our draft night trading. We traded a pick that may end up quite early for a couple of picks in the late 20s. Then throw in that next year's draft is considered stronger by most and that the 2020 draft was always going to be a short draft so you would have expected those picks to be cheaper than normal. I just can't see how we got reasonable bang for our buck. Fingers crossed that they judged the 2020 draft well and got it right.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
If the AFL prefer the kids to play NAB league then they shouldn’t have gutted it. Playing WAFL and SANFL doesn’t hurt the WA and SA kids chances of getting drafted. There’s no reason playing VFL would either.

The kids who play seniors in those state leagues are getting picked because they're ready for seniors in that league. If they're not ready they play reserves or underage. Who knows where Dib fits in terms of VFL readiness - but he doesn't have a reserve of underage option in Collingwood's VFL - thus unless certainly ready for VFL seniors, he needs to be at another club.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
The kids who play seniors in those state leagues are getting picked because they're ready for seniors in that league. If they're not ready they play reserves or underage. Who knows where Dib fits in terms of VFL readiness - but he doesn't have a reserve of underage option in Collingwood's VFL - thus unless certainly ready for VFL seniors, he needs to be at another club.

It is a disadvantage not having that development league option anymore but VFL listed players who don't get picked get to go back to their home club to play.

Then add in the likely chance that the blokes we picked in the 30s don't make it. (Not a comment on who we picked - I have no idea about them) But I struggle to see why people were impressed with our draft night trading. We traded a pick that may end up quite early for a couple of picks in the late 20s. Then throw in that next year's draft is considered stronger by most and that the 2020 draft was always going to be a short draft so you would have expected those picks to be cheaper than normal. I just can't see how we got reasonable bang for our buck. Fingers crossed that they judged the 2020 draft well and got it right.
Yep , partly because our cap problems left us with no choice but to load up in a draft others have avoided, we are on a high risk low return strategy. Will be an outstanding result for Hine if it pays off but risk hasn't been accounted for yet.

I think this preseason is a bit like owning a racehorse with a group of mates before it runs for the first time. You know there are plenty of newbies out there with better pedigrees and sharper looks but you are still dreaming of the Cox plate. A start on the lesser days and winning when you let your mind go. I mean Takeover Target cost $1375 and won over $6million didn't it.

Looks good in trackwork, the trainer is suggesting lets not get too excited just yet but ya gotta dream. When after 4 starts the trainer suggest selling it to far North Queensland "where all slow race horses should go" ( still have Mick Prices words ringing in my ears ) reality has set in.

It is a disadvantage not having that development league option anymore but VFL listed players who don't get picked get to go back to their home club to play.
If he was given the option and no assurances, it'd be a pretty easy choice for Dib if he wants to maximise his chance of getting drafted. Playing NAB with his peers where everything is recorded and watched closely by AFL recruiters. Or playing against men, where he may struggle initially in the comp with some exposure and end up playing for whoever his local team is - where nobody is watching.

Back