Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I'll have you know Corey Gault tears up the WAFL these days! ;)

Like water he’s found his level!

Pin the first few posts from regular track watchers. They then edit that first post each time they provide a report. Separate threads for discussion and reports is likely to kill discussion as to help the few people that can’t be bothered going back a few pages to find a recent post from Jen...

The irony for me is that as well intended as the question on finding reports was it’s only made it harder.

Is 25 young?
He's young in terms of experience. Missed a lot of footy. His progress may be more similar to youngster than the average 25 year old. Plus as a ruckman (I think full time forward is a pipe dream) he's also relatively young as they tend to mature later than other players.

We can update the thread title with the post number of the new report, (done).
Discussing players and their training in the training thread is fine by the way.
With regard to the off topic posts in general, it’s something we’ve been discussing.
We’ve tried asking, moving and even starting new threads.
Now we will just delete them.

Gone Critical jathanas Maggie5

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
This is an open question - how can we make it easier to find the training reports on this thread?

The actual training reports from those who post them are fantastic, and really valued by all. But sometimes they are hard to find, as there is always a lot of comments and discussion following them (and a lot of the discussion is off on tangents and not always all that interesting). What tends to need to happen is in the hours / days after a potential training session, if someone wants to find the write up they need to trawl through countless pages to figure out whether there was an update or not. Is there a more efficient way?

What about a thread locked to the general public but open to those like Jen who post reports, and there is nothing but the training reports themselves that get posted in them? That makes it super easy to see when a new report goes up and find it.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I must confess, I often find myself scouring through this thread looking for the latest actual training report from Jen or any of the other genuine track watchers - amid all the dross and petty bickering about whose a hack and whose going to make it etc, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Sep 19, 2011
Zeta Reticuli
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory
Or how about mods going through the thread and removing posts which don't directly relate to training or replies discussing issues directly arising from it. There is some value, for instance, in discussing a player's ability to play a particular role or position or suggesting that pre season form may be misleading. But discussions centred on peripheral issues detract from the reports. I actually don't have difficulty finding the reports - the posters names and the length and format of their posts are generally a give away.

Crap, that would be a full time job!

What about Jen does her block when the thread gets derailed.
Not sure if it's doable, bu give Jen a thread where everyone else is blocked from posting. Then her reports get copied from it into a thread called about "About Jen's Reports" where we all carry on with the usual tangential stuff.

Here's a crazy idea.
How about we just talk about training.
Look, there's a cow...
How big was the cow? You know I don't really like cows. Except they do taste nice. There was this one time I ate this hamburger with too many chili's on it...

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why don't we just leave it like it is and everyone just fossicks around for Jen's reports? As it is, just discussing how the thread should be set up derails the thread, setting off obscure references to cows and Danny DeVito, not to mention burgers with too much chilli. The less said in trying to clean up the thread the better.

Why don't we just leave it like it is and everyone just fossicks around for Jen's reports? As it is, just discussing how the thread should be set up derails the thread, setting off obscure references to cows and Danny DeVito, not to mention burgers with too much chilli. The less said in trying to clean up the thread the better.
It's always nice to find Jens reports hidden amongst Danny Devito references. It makes you feel like Jarrod Blair is still at the club.

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
It is a problem, but a locked thread would preclude the questions that often bring things to light that the reporter didn't think to include. The answer is better keyboard discipline from the readers who want to say something that doesn't pertain to training. If they would only keep to the threads that devote themselves to player bagging or attempts at humour and leave this one for people who are only interested in gleaning a few facts about what are players are about we would all be happy.
Keeping one thread free of axe grinding doesn't seem a lot to ask.
Asking people to refrain from non-topic-related comments is actually a big ask - it won't happen

Back