Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi All, really sorry I wasn’t sure where to put this so I’ll pop it in here as it’s a great thread that most people would get around I’d say. Don’t post often but thought people may find this interesting so thought I’d share.
Spoke with Chris Mayne for about halfa the Sunday after the pies intra club so a few weeks ago and thought I’d share a few things.

We were talking nutrition and he said this preseason he has put on a few kgs. Still playing the defensive wing role this year.

Said in the end he hated hub life and so did quite a few of the boys, have a lot of people at the club who aren’t footy heads so not getting away from it did their heads in. Said the families, wives, children etc enjoyed it but the players couldn’t escape each other or the coaches and took its toll. He mentioned at the start the boys enjoyed it as they are a close group and could create their own spark and thought they may even have a jump on a few other teams that maybe needed the crowd to get them going but once the initial trip dragged out and the injuries took their toll to key players (said you can’t really replace Howe, sidey, Degoey) it obviously went downhill.
Also said he used the hub to pretty much finish his coaching course and a teaching degree from memory.

In exciting news said this was the best draft crop he has seen in his time (at his own club) Equal with dockers of 09...hill, Ballantyne, Walters. Said it’s very exciting but he sadly won’t be around to see the fruits of it with a laugh.

Asked him bout macrae as a Smokey for round 1... remember this was a few weeks ago now....smiled and said Henry, said macrae will have a lot of competition for a midfield role but reckons Henry is going to be very very good. Then randomly gave Henry’s brother a clip and said ‘much better than his brother’ lol

I randomly asked about McMahon as track writers have all said impressive, Said he sees Henry and McMahon causing headaches together as as 1-2 punch, both so explosive in the air and on ground but McMahon needs a few years in the gym. Also said McMahon will play a similar role to checkers in his own way.

Seemed pretty sure they just need a good run with injury and he is confident they will go alright. Funny hearing a player mention injury, we probably forget it frustrates them more than anyone.

Maybe most importantly said they have been training a different game style... I didn’t ask in what way but like most of you I imagine more attacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All, really sorry I wasn’t sure where to put this so I’ll pop it in here as it’s a great thread that most people would get around I’d say. Don’t post often but thought people may find this interesting so thought I’d share.
Spoke with Chris Mayne for about halfa the Sunday after the pies intra club so a few weeks ago and thought I’d share a few things.

We were talking nutrition and he said this preseason he has put on a few kgs. Still playing the defensive wing role this year.

Said in the end he hated hub life and so did quite a few of the boys, have a lot of people at the club who aren’t footy heads so not getting away from it did their heads in. Said the families, wives, children etc enjoyed it but the players couldn’t escape each other or the coaches and took its toll. He mentioned at the start the boys enjoyed it as they are a close group and could create their own spark and thought they may even have a jump on a few other teams that maybe needed the crowd to get them going but once the initial trip dragged out and the injuries took their toll to key players (said you can’t really replace Howe, sidey, Degoey) it obviously went downhill.
Also said he used the hub to pretty much finish his coaching course and a teaching degree from memory.

In exciting news said this was the best draft crop he has seen in his time (at his own club) Equal with dockers of 09...hill, Ballantyne, Walters. Said it’s very exciting but he sadly won’t be around to see the fruits of it with a laugh.

Asked him bout macrae as a Smokey for round 1... remember this was a few weeks ago now....smiled and said Henry, said macrae will have a lot of competition for a midfield role but reckons Henry is going to be very very good. Then randomly gave Henry’s brother a clip and said ‘much better than his brother’ lol

I randomly asked about McMahon as track writers have all said impressive, Said he sees Henry and McMahon causing headaches together as as 1-2 punch, both so explosive in the air and on ground but McMahon needs a few years in the gym. Also said McMahon will play a similar role to checkers in his own way.

Seemed pretty sure they just need a good run with injury and he is confident they will go alright. Funny hearing a player mention injury, we probably forget it frustrates them more than anyone.

Maybe most importantly said they have been training a different game style... I didn’t ask in what way but like most of you I imagine more attacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers. Theyre def looking to go down the corridor more. as soon as players marked on the wing or on a HB flank at Geelong, they immediately looked inside, and there were often runners right in the corridor ready to mark and eyes up quickly to deliver forward... good to see. How they freed themselves up to take that uncontested mark in the corridor was impressive, but obv comes with risk

Cheers. Theyre def looking to go down the corridor more. as soon as players marked on the wing or on a HB flank at Geelong, they immediately looked inside, and there were often runners right in the corridor ready to mark and eyes up quickly to deliver forward... good to see. How they freed themselves up to take that uncontested mark in the corridor was impressive, but obv comes with risk
As much as the corridor is the preferred mode of attack the main thing is fast ball movement. I would rather hit a target down the line than missing one trying to centre the ball. The signs at training and v the cats were good.
I could be wrong, but every time I have been to training Skipworth is the man who seems to be in charge of changing our ball movement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It certainly didn’t take you long to revert to your horrible attitude towards our players. You should feel proud of yourself.

5 kicks, 1 handball, 1 tackle.
That's the stats of a reserves player.
Unless you're happy to accept mediocrity.

The only person to go missing longer than WHE is Harold Holt.
You know it... I know it.... We all know it.
I don’t bag players after a practice game. I hope he can contribute this season.

What’s the word on Rantall? Our first pick from 2019 but barely gets a mention in any training reports. Seems to have fallen totally off the radar just at the time he should be banging to door down for selection.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What’s the word on Rantall? Our first pick from 2019 but barely gets a mention in any training reports. Seems to have fallen totally off the radar just at the time he should be banging to door down for selection.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Without having seen him play at the lower level I’d simply take it as a sign of our midfield being hard to crack. His chance will come through injuries to others so for now it’s about him putting together 25-30 possession games on a consistent basis at VFL level or changing his surname to Brown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back