Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why we wouldn't look to match a bid. If he's rated in the 2nd round and we've offloaded all our picks to match a bid on Daicos, he essentially becomes another free hit.

Be interesting to see what jockeying we do during the trade period and draft day given we've traded our 1st round pick already.
Just keep trading next year’s first into this year in live trading every year. Simples

Those photos of Henry today remind me of a young Matthew Lloyd. I know he is a bit shorter but very similar. A nice rig that will fill out well

If he was given the option and no assurances, it'd be a pretty easy choice for Dib if he wants to maximise his chance of getting drafted. Playing NAB with his peers where everything is recorded and watched closely by AFL recruiters. Or playing against men, where he may struggle initially in the comp with some exposure and end up playing for whoever his local team is - where nobody is watching.

If a player is worth watching then clubs will find a way to get to see them. Look at Sier.

I doubt Hine will formally tell any potential draftee we're committed to them.

If a player is worth watching then clubs will find a way to get to see them. Look at Sier.
Sometimes, but if a short prospect who was only moderately rated hasn't played for 12 months and then can't get a touch playing in the VFL - are you going out of your way to watch him and only him in a local league, rather than watching 15 prospects running around playing NAB? He'd want to have a blinder the time somebody turned up.

Part of the joy of Jan-Feb / pre-season and getting through the off season is the speculating on the young kids coming through, the newbies and those hoping for a break out year.

Great to listen to whose 'training the house down' and whose looking like a 'March Champion'.

Keeps it fun and gives us something to look forward to

Anybody know what time the game starts against Geelong on Friday. I have heard it will be streamed online if you are a member but no idea on time. Thank you

The kids who play seniors in those state leagues are getting picked because they're ready for seniors in that league. If they're not ready they play reserves or underage. Who knows where Dib fits in terms of VFL readiness - but he doesn't have a reserve of underage option in Collingwood's VFL - thus unless certainly ready for VFL seniors, he needs to be at another club.
Both Daicos and Dib have early birthdays. Daicos is a matter of weeks younger than Reef. Dib is more solidly built than some of our senior players. If our draftees are ready for VFL footy then those boys should be too.

Sometimes, but if a short prospect who was only moderately rated hasn't played for 12 months and then can't get a touch playing in the VFL - are you going out of your way to watch him and only him in a local league, rather than watching 15 prospects running around playing NAB? He'd want to have a blinder the time somebody turned up.
They’d all be there to watch Daicos anyway. He’d get the exposure.

Anybody know what time the game starts against Geelong on Friday. I have heard it will be streamed online if you are a member but no idea on time. Thank you

I knew some clubs are doing it for members only but didn’t think we were one of them. But I’d say late afternoon given there is a aflw game at cats park in the evening

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Both Daicos and Dib have early birthdays. Daicos is a matter of weeks younger than Reef. Dib is more solidly built than some of our senior players. If our draftees are ready for VFL footy then those boys should be too.
Yep, but a lot of draftees do struggle in their first year of VFL. If Dib struggled, he probably wouldn't become a draftee. I just think he's got a better chance of showing his potential in u18. I think he's more likely to be drafted if he goes that route.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw this on Zucker's site

.”Adams did only short kicking yesterday but i would expect him ready for rd1. Went to training this morning. They did some match sim. It rained in the early part causing mayne to have a sickening accident in front of me. He led into a bullet pass from about 30m away. The kick to him was slightly off target so as he was running into it he leant sideways into the path of the ball which would have been somewhat heavy. His feet and legs went from under him and as he crashed to the ground the ball got him flush in the face and his head hit the ground and then whipped. He was unconscious for what seemed at least 2 mins. They stopped the session. He slowly came around and with the support of the doc and trainer they ultimately got him up and then supported him across the ground to the rooms. He was very groggy. I would expect him to miss our next two practice matches against geelong and richmond at least..i also see degoey copped a foot injury last week. He was not there today. As for others in the match sim, it was all a bit of a scamble and nobody really stood out except Sidey. Tyler Brown did some nice inside work to get the ball to the outside runners. Sier was throwing his weight around. Madgen got caught out of position once and a few of the players told him about it. Payback?? Mcmahon and kelly played key forwards for the same team but the delivery to them was poor so neither had any impact. Perhaps after a full on intraclub last friday night, they were all a bit out of sorts. Thomas and Ginnivan were both in rehab today and the fitness guy told me they both had corkies from friday night

Mcmahon and kelly played key forwards for the same team but the delivery to them was poor so neither had any impact
Nothing Changed There.

Ball Use to our Forwards is still s**t

Would we be fully committed to Dib yet? Unless we're fully committed, it'd be unfair on him. He needs to play the standard that is the best chance of him getting drafted, which I suspect is NAB against his peers.

Having said that good performances against grown men playing a higher standard of footy at VFL level would do nothing but improve his prospects.

Having said that good performances against grown men playing a higher standard of footy at VFL level would do nothing but improve his prospects.
Absolutely, but some overage Vic kids request an extra year of u18s to improve their chances of getting drafted. Does anyone ever skip under 18s and play senior footy to improve their chances? I've not heard of it happening.

I knew some clubs are doing it for members only but didn’t think we were one of them. But I’d say late afternoon given there is a aflw game at cats park in the evening

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’d be surprised if it wasn’t just for Members, the way the club treats its supporter base is a disgrace. They take us for granted and do sweet FA for us except throwing out a few trinkets to sooth the masses. The pies are like Scotty from marketing all talk and very little to show.

Off topic but while I’m here, $150 cut in jobseeker at the start of March but the government has announced a $50 increase. Interesting they didn’t actually mention that the actual money you’ll get in March will be less than February by $100 and you’ll have to do more for it. Wtf

Sorry but this is a major sore point with me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back