Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

how did he land a job at NM, given the huge competition for the position from the large number of unemployed Coaches - clearly the industry is far more informed about his capabilities than BF.
Maybe he took pictures of Noble like he had for Bucks all that time.

It’s hilarious that you’re using getting a job at Norf as the yard stick for measuring whether a coach is good or not.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe he took pictures of Noble like he had for Bucks all that time.

It’s hilarious that you’re using getting a job at Norf as the yard stick for measuring whether a coach is good or not.

you mean I need to take your opinion as gospel ?
Nah - I’m tipping the interview process and the recruiters are far more informed than you.

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Exactly how have you made the assessment that he is an average coach? You been there day in day out observing his work with the players? What traits make him an average coach?

Good teacher have dumb students. Doesn’t make them bad teachers.

‘Your assumption is that Grundy would be better if he had a better coach. Based on what? Nothing but an assumption that someone cannot coach.

Great players don’t always make great coaches, and sometimes average players go on to be better coaches than players.
In my personal opinion, I think a ruckman is unique and a past ruckman would be best as coach. Generally a forward coach, defensive coach etc is all about a structure. Whereas a ruckman is more about a specific group of skills for a specific position.

I suppose it’s similar to clubs employing an accurate goal kicker to help forwards who struggle with set shots (ie. Lloyd, Dickson etc).

Training Wednesday - Main session.

There was a couple VFL boys, plus I think there is an AFL Academy kid, Ben Hobbs that trained as well today.

Not present: Bianco. Elliott. Murphy.

Team Black:

• De Goey
  • IQ
  • Grundy
  • Tyler B.
  • Daicos
  • Noble
  • Adams
  • Mayne
  • Sidebottom
  • Roughy
  • JT
  • Crisp
  • Moore
  • McCreery
  • WHE
  • Maynard
  • Howe
  • Checkers
  • Cox

White team

• Rantall
  • Pendles (prob to help out the mids balance)
  • Keane
  • Wilson
  • Cameron
  • Lynch
  • Cal B.
  • Macrae
  • Greenwood
  • Kelly
  • Ruscoe
  • Reef
  • Poulter
  • McMahon
  • Ginnivan (put on the black later)
  • Chugg (it was interesting he was in the "main team" for a bit)
  • Henry
  • Sier
  • Tohil
  • Madgen

They worked on their ball use, clean effiency with handballs in tranition. Play from throw ins and kick ins. Some other drills I don't pay too close attention to lol Then there was the match sim.

The two groups seemed to be separate, as you could tell who was the reserves, and who was playing or had an idea. The white group did their own thing, goal kicking and was on one part of the ground; while the black team did more match play stuff.

The new Ruck coach worked a lot with the rucks for quite a while. Then worked with Cox up forward.

Once everyone was gone, Cal did some private time with a trainer/coach.

A surprise guest.

Matrix10

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sadly he died aged 42 but at his relatively short stature, he could generate great pace and zip.

Yes , sadly passed away at the young age of 41 from cancer , loved watching him bowl, never said a word , his eyes and pace did all the talking, and the petrified batsmen around the world made sure they had their helmets on tight

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

There was a couple VFL boys, plus I think there is an AFL Academy kid, Ben Hobbs that trained as well today.

Team Black:

• De Goey
  • IQ
  • Grundy
  • Tyler B.
  • Daicos
  • Noble
  • Adams
  • Mayne
  • Sidebottom
  • Roughy
  • JT
  • Crisp
  • Moore
  • McCreery
  • WHE
  • Maynard
  • Howe
  • Checkers
  • Cox

White team

• Rantall
  • Keane
  • Wilson
  • Cameron
  • Lynch
  • Cal B.
  • Macrae
  • Greenwood
  • Kelly
  • Ruscoe
  • Reef
  • Poulter
  • McMahon
  • Henry
  • Sier
  • Tohil
  • Madgen

They worked on their ball use, clean effiency with handballs in tranition. Play from throw ins and kick ins. Some other drills I don't pay too close attention to lol Then there was the match sim.

The two groups seemed to be separate, as you could tell who was the reserves, and who was playing or had an idea. The white group did their own thing, goal kicking and was on one part of the ground; while the black team did more match play stuff.

The new Ruck coach worked a lot with the rucks for quite a while. Then worked with Cox up forward.

A surprise guest.

Any chance of more than 1 debut?

you mean I need to take your opinion as gospel ?
Nah - I’m tipping the interview process and the recruiters are far more informed than you.
Maybe if he was such a good coach he’d still be at Collingwood. But it seems that we preferred to push him out and bring in a new talls coach. I wonder why, since he’s so amazing that he got through Norfs interview process 🤣

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe if he was such a good coach he’d still be at Collingwood. But it seems that we preferred to push him out and bring in a new talls coach. I wonder why, since he’s so amazing that he got through Norfs interview process 🤣

We had budget cuts to FD like all clubs - he like many others lost his jobs.

So I’m inclined to trust the recruiters at NM, over what at face value is your guess work.

Last edited:

Harry O

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
Interesting tassie boy Rhyan Mansell is debuting for Richmond Friday night. Exactly the type of defender who might have enabled us to release Maynard and/or Crisp to midfield

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood

Team Black:

• De Goey
  • IQ
  • Grundy
  • Tyler B.
  • Daicos
  • Noble
  • Adams
  • Mayne
  • Sidebottom
  • Roughy
  • JT
  • Crisp
  • Moore
  • McCreery
  • WHE
  • Maynard
  • Howe
  • Checkers
  • Cox

White team

• Rantall
  • Keane
  • Wilson
  • Cameron
  • Lynch
  • Cal B.
  • Macrae
  • Greenwood
  • Kelly
  • Ruscoe
  • Reef
  • Poulter
  • McMahon
  • Henry
  • Sier
  • Tohil
  • Madgen

A surprise guest.

Thanks for this. Do you know What Cal was working on? Kicking skills hopefully...

I wouldn't think so. The rest of them were in white and trained separately. We'd probably know by now.
Sier in white while JT and WHE play in black. I’m done with Buckley.

Sier will play, there is always a few in white that do. But the fact he isn't starting 18. He better pull hisn finger out before someone goes ahead of him.
I’m sure he has things to work on, but for the life of me I can’t understand why a guy who had 20 disposals, 5 clearances and a goal could possibly be lower down the pecking order than Will Hoskin-Elliott or Josh Thomas.

I’m sure he has things to work on, but for the life of me I can’t understand why a guy who had 20 disposals, 5 clearances and a goal could possibly be lower down the pecking order than Will Hoskin-Elliott or Josh Thomas.
What probably hurts him is his position. Those in his position should be getting more than he is. With WHE and JT, they're forwards who you don't expect will get many touches, just more what they do with them in the forward line.

Back