Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying to keep this thread on track..........an 8am start on Friday? Good luck with that. I take it the fence is still up? The fence and an 8am start makes we wonder if they want us to stay away. Monday sounds like it will be worthwhile venturing down.
Thats a government thing. Think the fence is about getting others off the ground, as last year, they are meant to have exclusive access. Not sure if that's been rectified, if it has, olympic park trust (or whomever is in charge) hasn't gotten the notice.

Yeah, 8am. Because of the training in groups for this week and thus they need to get through everyone. So it'll go for quite a few hours. These days, I tend to stand on top of the hill aami park side, easier to see OVER the fence.

Super long session. Four groups with two taking the field at a time. The first lot of two spent almost 2.5 hours on the track. With work in the arvo I had to leave shortly after this half.

The first two groups were mostly senior players, so I didn’t get much look at the younger players. Adams and DeGoey looked in great nick with Kelly also looking good in that group. He hasn’t added much size though.

Quaynor lead all the running drills in the other group with a competitive Madgen hot on his heels trying to keep up.

From the few minutes I seen of the next two groups Lynch again dominated the running ahead of a fast finishing Bianco and Wilson. Wilson looks to have added a bit of size to his upper body.

Last edited:
Super long session. Four groups with two taking the field at a time. The first lot of two spent almost 2.5 hours on the track. With work in the arvo I had to leave shortly after this half.

The first two groups were mostly senior players, so I didn’t get much look at the younger players. Adams and DeGoey looked in great nick with Kelly also looking good in that group. He hasn’t added much size though.

Quaynor lead all the running drills in the other group with a competitive Madgen hot on his heels trying to keep up.

From the few minutes I seen of the next two groups Lynch again dominated the running ahead of a fast finishing Bianco and Wilson. Wilson looks to have added a bit of size to his upper body.

I might be going the early crow, but IQ has always given me potential captain vibes.

I might be going the early crow, but IQ has always given me potential captain vibes.
By lead I meant at the front of the pack rather than voice etc, but I can see where you’re coming from with IQ.

Apples and Jen2310
It's a good question. With all of the people employed in media, surely it can't be that difficult to announce training dates and times. Media people are always at training, so they must get the info at least 24 hrs ahead. Maybe we need to get one on side!

It's a good question. With all of the people employed in media, surely it can't be that difficult to announce training dates and times. Media people are always at training, so they must get the info at least 24 hrs ahead. Maybe we need to get one on side!

They used to put it on their site a couple years back.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While it was meant to be 25 today, earlier this morning sure felt like 30.

Getting off the train, I bumped into barrackers, it was nice to chat, and we walked over toward training.

What was I was originally told about it starting at 8am, was actually a mistake and it was actually 9am. So we had a little bit to wait. Better settle in, I thought -- this is gonna be a very long session; and indeed I was quite right. More about that later.

Two groups on the track at once - 2 hrs session.
First group consisted of: Quaynor, Noble, Mayne, Maynard, Roughy, Murphy
Second group: Kelly, De Goey, WHE, Mihochek, Adams, Sier, Thomas

Third group: Pendles, Lynch, Cox, Elliott, Bianco, Wilson, Tohil,
4th group: Crisp, McMahon, Macrae, Poulter, Ginnivan, Chugg, Henry, Jack Briskey (Lions Academy)

Last/Modified group: Rantall, Cal Brown, Tyler Brown, Daicos, Moore, Howe, Cameron, Greenwood, McCreery​

Sidebottom and Grundy had other commitments. I wonder whether its' promo stuff for Nike.
Reef wasn't in attendance, but think I may have seen him later on by the doors. Might be more of a managed thing given his history with his back.

Bucks mainly looked on for most of the session before he went inside, and left the other coaches to take care of the session. Selwood was working with the drasftees group, and other coaches split amongst the rest.

In each group (apart from the final modifield group) they did a shuttle run, which I think is this years version of a timed trial, except more bursts game-like, up and back, rather than the usual run around the track type of trial. They also did this prior to christmas. I'm unsure whether they are actually going to do a proper time trial or just leave it at this.

• After the shuttle run was completed, each group then would do a bunch of different drills amongst themselves plus a coach. These drills would contain: Handball/keeping offs
  • ground ball drills
  • goal kicking (more the later groups, rather than the earlier ones)
  • F50 entries
  • Kick and mark
  • then in the last group the boys did pick up the ball, tackle, handball recieve and run.
  • All group also did sprinting.

Kelly, Crisp, Quaynor, and Lynch won their respected shuttle runs (the latter very very comfortably)

Player observation:
Rantall - He is looking better and better every time I see him. Put on a bit of size compared to last year, plus the way he goes about the footy; He'll definitely be pushing for round 1 at this rate.

De Goey - What a machine. He is even bigger than last year. All this personal training/gym work in the last few months since the end of the season seems to be paying off. He runs faster, tackles harder, looks like he is finally ready to explode.

Cal/Tyler Brown - Both look to have put on some size, and are now really coming into their bodies.

Daicos - Looks like have put on more size, Looking toned and raring for a huge season I imagine.

Pendles, not missing a beat. Doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon. As fit as anyone out there.

Wilson - Has some kind of upper body. Finally has a footballers body. Now its time to break into the squad.

Adams - Bull. Tay does Tay things.

Lynch, has always been athletic. Not the first time he has come in the top 5 in previous time trials, but he smashed the shuttle run.. by at least.. 20-30 metres off the next person (Bianco/Wilson)

Macrae, boy is looking good. Moving well in drills. Definitely one of the standouts.

Kelly, one of the standouts. Such athleticism for someone his height, and even after all they were put through, it was like nothing to him. Fitness he isn't lacking, that's for sure.
If I had to guess, lock him in for round 1.

Poor Chugg. You can tell this is his first real pre-season when you throw up after being put through your paces in the sprinting in the heat.

Remember when I said it was gonna be a long session? 5 hrs and a half long..

5 hrs later...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back