Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

I want change but some of these kids played no footy last year and need development before they are thrown to the wolves. Its got to be done in a controlled way.
Agreed. Henry the perfect example of not being ready. I mean, I'm not a fan of Ruscoe at all, but even he is miles ahead of Henry. We don't know if playing these kids will help or hinder them. The 2020 batch haven't even had a VFL game for points yet. I'm happy to see them earn a spot through solid VFL form in real matches. I'm surprised that Cameron hasn't been used yet. I'd happily see him in the side if it meant WHE had a rest. He is offering nothing at the moment.

I want change but some of these kids played no footy last year and need development before they are thrown to the wolves. Its got to be done in a controlled way.

Pretty sure Archie Perkins, Nik Cox, Harrison Jones didn't play footy last year, and they looked pretty good last night against Sydney.
If they are playing well, which l believe Macrae, Poulter and Wilson (l know not a first year player) in particular have been, why not give them the opportunity. In saying that, good to see McCreery get his opportunity. Good luck to the young man. Hope he turns out to be a longtime small forward for us....

Last edited:
Sigh, does anyone look at the team balance down back? Magden and Roughead offer no rebound. We cannot have two bricks down there who play such a limited role.

No need to sigh, it’s not that bad.

Neither are great rebounders, but neither are ‘bricks’. Roughead has above average metres gained for a defender and Madgen is average. When you have Moore, Crisp, Maynard, Howe, Quaynor and Noble all moving through there, the balance is sound.

Last edited:

Bucks wants to save his Job so he will play the Old and Vanilla Players instead of Trying the Young Kids

If it goes pear shape on Saturday night, and WHE and Thomas give absolutely the minimal output, l would hate to be Bucks Monday morning, as the football media will have a field day and week. As they say, you make your bed, you lay in it....

They should of seen plenty with Match Simulation and about 4-5 VFL Practise Games.

Macare been best in nearly every game he has Played

Probably the case in the past, but the role has expanded than kicking goals these days. Its about how much you work within your limits, about the pressure you apply within the F50, about your input to helping the scoreboard, even if it means not doing it yourself.

Yes, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek but only a little bit.

When it’s all said and done, somebody does actually need to kick enough goals to win the game - yet we keep selecting forward set-ups with 3 guys (WHE, C.Brown & JT) who have barely kicked any goals since 2018. It puts a lot of pressure on Mihochek, Cox, Elliott & DeGoey to cover their lack of scoring power.

If you compare our “pressure forwards” with Richmond’s, the massive difference is that they apply pressure AND kick a lot of goals, whereas ours do not.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pretty sure Archie Perkins, Nik Cox, Harrison Jones didn't play footy last year, and they looked pretty good last night against Sydney.
If they are playing well, which l believe Macrae, Poulter and Wilson (l know not a first year player) in particular have been, why not give them the opportunity. In saying that, good to see McCreery get his opportunity. Good luck to the young man. Hope he turns out to be a longtime small forward for us....
Harrison Jones isnt a 1st year player. Essendon have played 2 of the 6 18 year olds the bought into the club this year , the two highest rated. We have played 1 of our 8. Ours didnt look ready but then again he isnt a top 10 pick like Cox and Perkins so not as likely to be ready. After tomorrow we will have played 2 of our 1st years just like Essendon. Not very different but their kids are likely to be a fair bit better in the long run.

Harrison Jones isnt a 1st year player. Essendon have played 2 of the 6 18 year olds the bought into the club this year , the two highest rated. We have played 1 of our 8. Ours didnt look ready but then again he isnt a top 10 pick like Cox and Perkins so not as likely to be ready. After tomorrow we will have played 2 of our 1st years just like Essendon. Not very different but their kids are likely to be a fair bit better in the long run.

Yeah l know Jones was drafted in 2019, but didn't play at all or hardly played in 2020 because of his stress fractures.
I would like to see a Macrae, Murphy (pre concussion), Wilson and Poulter given opportunities at least. We just seem to be going with the same old, and with players terribly out of form....

I hate the word “role”’player. He’s a small forward, his job first and foremost is to kick goals, average 1 a game? tackling and pressure comes second. He’s averaged less than 0.3goals in the last 12months. He’s ahead of WHE in terms of effort but It’s not good enough. Issue is we have nobody else....

I don’t get the obsession with individual performance in a team game. Why does it matter who kicks the goals?

If Tyler is actually dropped ahead of Callum, WHE and Thomas then I’m officially done with this coaching group.

“Officially done” approaching epidemic proportions by the look of things.

I’ll hang in there I think.

Sigh, does anyone look at the team balance down back? Magden and Roughead offer no rebound. We cannot have two bricks down there who play such a limited role.

Seriously? Rebound starts from intercepts or nullifying D50 contests causing a stoppage or turnover. They both play their role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Officially done” approaching epidemic proportions by the look of things.

I’ll hang in there I think.
Nah I’m done. I want a new head coach that’s actually willing to take some risks for the benefit of the club.

He is no good as a creative type but he could be a small lock down defender or a run with mid and do roles for the team. He does have speed, agility and goes in hard but he is being played in roles he is not yet capable of and may never be. Our coach lacks imagination re developing players.

Isn’t it funny. I see his ability to work through traffic as being very creative.

I was positive on him but with the rule changes which have sped the game up and reduced stoppages I am not so sure anymore.

I think his pace is fine, it’s his work rate and game awareness that are the worry. Still lacking 2nd and 3rd efforts, and awareness of where he needs to get to to influence transition.

Some of its positional. Wilson has been playing defence and we haven’t had a vacancy back there. Poulter to mainly behind the footy. Who knows where our kids would be relative to Essendon if some of those more likely options had had uninterrupted preseasons. Macrae, McInnes in particular.

Just a quick shout out to Jen, next chance you get, if you dont mind, square up Derek Hine/Ned Guy - tell em to target Dunkley...

Best u 24yo front and centre at stoppage talent in country. Is a leather poisoner, gets his own ball, tackles like a bull without.
Forget Petracca, we can build team around Dunkley. Nearly went to Bombers last year, we need him at Pies is a stoppage clearance beast.

Also Rockliff outta contract, not gettn game at Port, put him at Ruckmans feet he feeding or tackling, Port finally put him there and rewound the clock, having 30+ disp 10 to 15 tackles in reduced 2020, insane numbers from the pig, outta contract next year, we shoulda got him instead of Wells and 2018 woulda been a Pies Prem.

And go up to Cox and tell him to get f#$$kin angry.... needs seperation and to realise he be one of the strongest in comp so go them early then break into space......he needs to believe, an angry Cox lifts whole side. Its his time for some bags ...

So pass on the msg "oi the faithful want you to grow some brass monkeys and #$$@ing own the forward line, throw ya weight around ya wall unit, get angry, theyre half ya size and no AFL defense can get a man up there!"

Weve got a frrkn good side... our best is better than all of em, that fwd line has to believe its what got us to last GF...if under performing go extra running, get those defenders moving, work as fwd unit....put ball in front of them, lead to space.

Fire em up Jen.....weve belted Tiges, been better than WCE, had 48 to 2pt opening qtr vs Port, 8goal qtr vs Brissy, 40pt last qtr vs Saints...

4qtr footy every week is what theyre getting paid for.....

Theyre playing for the Premier sporting club in the land....

the other sides in 2021 arent much chop.....BELIEVE!!

Last edited:
Seriously? Rebound starts from intercepts or nullifying D50 contests causing a stoppage or turnover. They both play their role.

Nah mate it comes from being able to break a line with run and carry due to leg speed or foot skills. Darcy and Qaynor can do it, Howe kind of but he has another role, rest struggle. Maynard showed promise but he has gone backwards this year.

Nah mate it comes from being able to break a line with run and carry due to leg speed or foot skills. Darcy and Qaynor can do it, Howe kind of but he has another role, rest struggle. Maynard showed promise but he has gone backwards this year.

....and then in the space of a game the myth is severely tarnished. Hopefully we'll see more of that as he gains more experience but 21 disposals, 5 ITC's, 550 meters gained, 20 PA's, a goal among his 3 SI's, 5 I50 and 4 R50's isn't to be sneezed at for a player who's played less that 50 games.

Agreed. Henry the perfect example of not being ready. I mean, I'm not a fan of Ruscoe at all, but even he is miles ahead of Henry. We don't know if playing these kids will help or hinder them. The 2020 batch haven't even had a VFL game for points yet. I'm happy to see them earn a spot through solid VFL form in real matches. I'm surprised that Cameron hasn't been used yet. I'd happily see him in the side if it meant WHE had a rest. He is offering nothing at the moment.
I'd like to know how you can give a player his first game against one of the flag favourites, give him about 60% game time and drop him for the next game and say he's not ready. Apparently he was ready to play the Bulldogs game, which was the reason he got selected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back