Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of preparing for the season is being mentally rested and refreshed. Swan was never ready physically, and in fact had to do mini preseasons mid season to be cherry ripe for finals. But you can’t argue with output and impact.

I would agree if you were talking about Degoey needing to come back early, everybody else I’m fine with.
Don’t know where you’re getting the idea about Swan having to do mini preseasons, but you’re wrong. He was one of the hardest workers on the track once he pulled his finger out early on.

Any sightings of McMahon & Henry Jen?

McMahon sounded promising before the break, but the more senior forwards - even Wilson, expectedly looking more prominent now.

The builds on some of the draftees also look impressive. Macrae doesnt look out of place, and Ginnivan has an athletic and not under-developed build from your videos.
They were both there. Was tough to always know who was who without tbhem wearing their numbers. With it basically a skills session, there wasn't too much to take from it. Monday should be more of a view.

pies 4 ever

Senior List
Jan 18, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
What do you think Briskey's chances of getting picked up? Do the coaches seem to like him?
Very hard to tell, looked as good as the other recruits, but was only doing group training with Crisp/Selwood, Bucks and other coaches came over several times to have a look but did not get involved. Like McMahon, he will have to bulk up, so even if he is picked up can't see him playing senior this year, 2022/23 Project Player at best.
PS It was good to hear Selwood apologise to the group for not properly explaining a drill, plenty of coaches would not have admitted it.

ToonAussie

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
mount eliza
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NUFC: f'stonblues: DukeMBB:Warriors
Don’t know where you’re getting the idea about Swan having to do mini preseasons, but you’re wrong. He was one of the hardest workers on the track once he pulled his finger out early on.

He did do at least a couple of mid season "mini preseasons".
They were highlighted at the time.

I can't remember why but I believe the first was post an injury or something like that.
He performed brilliantly for the rest of the season and so the next year it was repeated.
This because the first year had been so successful, rather than a specific need.

It happened around our bye time I think.
Can anyone else remember this?

I also remember that he was considered to be a good trainer and so I agree with you there,
but he did do something unusual at the time.

Having said all of that, perhaps it would just be considered normal now - you lose fitness when injured and
you have a hard block of training to get it back again!
Swannie being the footballer rather than the natural athlete, may have needed it more than others.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Very hard to tell, looked as good as the other recruits, but was only doing group training with Crisp/Selwood, Bucks and other coaches came over several times to have a look but did not get involved. Like McMahon, he will have to bulk up, so even if he is picked up can't see him playing senior this year, 2022/23 Project Player at best.
PS It was good to hear Selwood apologise to the group for not properly explaining a drill, plenty of coaches would not have admitted it.

Great insight! What went wrong with it? It amazes me that this happens in 2021 with the number of meetings they have. Explaining exactly what the purpose of a session is and what drills will be done seems a no brainer to me to avoid this type of stuff happening (outside of running sessions).

Not a crack at Selwood in the slightest either because that’s a top down issue. The players not understanding a drill seems a massive waste of time to me which is a bad sign with such a compressed pre-season. It’s a little 1% that you know Richmond, Geelong, WC etc. won’t be getting wrong.

pies 4 ever

Senior List
Jan 18, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Great insight! What went wrong with it? It amazes me that this happens in 2021 with the number of meetings they have. Explaining exactly what the purpose of a session is and what drills will be done seems a no brainer to me to avoid this type of stuff happening (outside of running sessions).

Not a crack at Selwood in the slightest either because that’s a top down issue. The players not understanding a drill seems a massive waste of time to me which is a bad sign with such a compressed pre-season. It’s a little 1% that you know Richmond, Geelong, WC etc. won’t be getting wrong.
Bullshit, he called them in a few minutes into it, so no harm was done. It was a complicated drill and all the players were first year recruits, most coaches would just go with it rather than admit they could have explained it better.
It was meant as a compliment, far better to have a coach without an ego problem who admits the mistake, than the alternative.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Bullshit, he called them in a few minutes into it, so no harm was done. It was a complicated drill and all the players were first year recruits, most coaches would just go with it rather than admit they could have explained it better.
It was meant as a compliment, far better to have a coach without an ego problem who admits the mistake, than the alternative.

Bullshit? I think you’ve missed something here. Aside from “it was a complicated drill” it wasn’t much of an answer, but I appreciate that all the same.

Good Horse

Cancelled
Collingwood - Caleb Poulter Player Sponsor 2022 Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020
Sep 21, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reading the reports has me pumped. I can feel it. This is the year of the bear. He is coming.

Ok, so maybe like fifth time right, but still. Bear. Remember the name. He who was lost shall be found again, maybe with a dhurrie and a can shooting some free throws, but also in the clinches, getting those clearances out, with the same slightly vacant yet manic look of a fifteen year old let loose as his first B&S ball wanting to root and drink everything at the same time we have come to know and love.

Buy shares in bear, he won't disappoint. This time for sure.

Effective communication would be super important to get right. Players need to be able to effectively understand instructions given to them in short quarter time break while they’re sucking down gatoraides and their heart rates are coming down from 180.

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
Reading the reports has me pumped. I can feel it. This is the year of the bear. He is coming.

Ok, so maybe like fifth time right, but still. Bear. Remember the name. He who was lost shall be found again, maybe with a dhurrie and a can shooting some free throws, but also in the clinches, getting those clearances out, with the same slightly vacant yet manic look of a fifteen year old let loose as his first B&S ball wanting to root and drink everything at the same time we have come to know and love.

Yeah he’ll come good. No way the Bear shits on the Woods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome back. I look forward to photos of Bear sculptures made from your belly button lint.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
You really believe they don't get things wrong when training?

No I assume they get things wrong just not this stuff. To put it bluntly it’s why they’re better than us and I would frame it as an area for Collingwood to improve their communication as 76 pointed out.

Surely we all acknowledge we need to be a better club so why would we not discuss how something like that can be improved? Let’s say the drill was going 5 minutes before being stopped it then takes a further 5 minutes to explain it. That’s 10 minutes you can’t get back which could have been invested in working on set shots. Who knows maybe that leads to 1 extra conversion across the season. We don’t need to go too far back to understand the importance of 1 extra set slot conversion. Clubs always talk about focusing on what they can control and this is one of those things unlike injuries.

Like I said it’s just a 1% that we can improve on as a collective.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

But you have to remember if everyone in the group is just new to the club, they are doing something they have not before and it is not as routine as all the other drills. Not everything is mastered in 5 mins explanations or by PPT or whatever they use in their meetings.

This is Jack Briskey

IMG_2022.JPG
IMG_2023.JPG
IMG_2024.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_2026.JPG
    IMG_2026.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2026.JPG
    IMG_2026.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 155