Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Poulter has done well, but he needs an extended break. He is struggling to run out games this far into the season.

Guess I am seeing something Different as I think he Ended the Game Strong last week

Round 21 - Mid-week training session.

Strange morning. Part cloudy. Part sunny. I didn't know whether to leave my jacket on or off at sometimes. No rain at all.

Usual skills/light session. This week it included about 7-8 VFL boys.

Only players not sighted this morning was.

Darcy Moore
Cal Brown
Grundy
Elliott
Tohil
Bianco
Macrae

A few others were on light duties
Henry
Kelly
Ginnivan
Reef

Johnston and Begg in full training. Nice to see them finally doing some match sim stuff.

Like every mid week session, this being a skills session. Goal kicking. Working on their kicking, and mixed in with some match play. They were using the ball pretty well, fast delivery, link up between players. A bit similar to what we saw on last weeekend.

Tyler Brown continued his running as he recovers from his shoulder surgery.

Later on, Kevin White told the boys "AFL Boys go inside" And there was left a group that did an extra session included the VFL boys.

This group contained about 7-8 VFL boys, plus:
Murphy
Keane
Rantall
Daicos
Poulter
McMahon
Chugg
Begg
Johnston

Clearly some boys missing that went inside but will be playing VFL, but I thought this was interesting. So is Daicos playing VFL this week? Is McCreery not? Maybe McCreery will be the sub lol

Probably can't tell too much in this session.

Be Downgrade
Might be, but it doesn’t matter much for the ruck position IMO.
I really don’t think the ruck position is that important, and certainly isn’t the position that can win or lose a game.
Look at WCE .. they have NicNat available yet they still lose games even though they win centre clearances. And they beat us in the GF and NN wasn’t playing..
Look at Carlton.. they beat us with Silvagni going up against Grundy. And they beat St Kilda with their dominant ruckman in that game..
And didn’t we beat Melbourne with Lynch up against Gawn??
Geelong haven’t got a recognised gun ruckman, yet they still win clearances..
And so on. 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be, but it doesn’t matter much for the ruck position IMO.
I really don’t think the ruck position is that important, and certainly isn’t the position that can win or lose a game.
Look at WCE .. they have NicNat available yet they still lose games even though they win centre clearances. And they beat us in the GF and NN wasn’t playing..
Look at Carlton.. they beat us with Silvagni going up against Grundy. And they beat St Kilda with their dominant ruckman in that game..
And didn’t we beat Melbourne with Lynch up against Gawn??
Geelong haven’t got a recognised gun ruckman, yet they still win clearances..
And so on. 👍

So Leigh Mathews is a fool, by saying a few years ago that Grundy was the best player in the game?
And you think Gawn is over rated - I think you’re way off the mark. If Melb lost Gawn, their flag hopes would shot.

So Leigh Mathews is a fool, by saying a few years ago that Grundy was the best player in the game?
And you think Gawn is over rated - I think you’re way off the mark. If Melb lost Gawn, their flag hopes would shot.
I would swap Grundy for Bont immediately.

I'm sure Melbourne would do the same..

I would swap Grundy for Bont immediately.

I'm sure Melbourne would do the same..

I think you have completely missed the point - your complete dismissal of the value and calibre of both Grundy and Gawn, is completely out of touch with the reality.
Even the most ungenerous assessment of both, doesn’t devalue them in the way you have.

I think you have completely missed the point - your complete dismissal of the value and calibre of both Grundy and Gawn, is completely out of touch with the reality.
Even the most ungenerous assessment of both, doesn’t devalue them in the way you have.
How can i be missing the point when i was making it?

IMO:
The point is that the ruck position is not that important, and and certainly isn’t the position that can win or lose a game.
The point is that teams with average rucks are winning games and clearances.
The point is that teams with good ruckman are losing clearances and games.
Yet teams with rucks that are not really rated (Cats, Dogs, Blues) win games and clearances.

If i was to choose, i would have a gun midfielder over a gun ruckman.
Bont over Gawn, Grundy.

And if Melbourne didn't have Petracca or Oliver, their flag hopes would be shot.

Maybe Gawn and Grundy are the best ruckman in the league, but i rate midfielders like Bont, Petracca, Oliver, as having a bigger impact on team performance.

IMO:
The point is that the ruck position is not that important, and and certainly isn’t the position that can win or lose a game.
The point is that teams with average rucks are winning games and clearances.
The point is that teams with good ruckman are losing clearances and games.
Yet teams with rucks that are not really rated (Cats, Dogs, Blues) win games and clearances.

If i was to choose, i would have a gun midfielder over a gun ruckman.
Bont over Gawn, Grundy.

And if Melbourne didn't have Petracca or Oliver, their flag hopes would be shot.

Maybe Gawn and Grundy are the best ruckman in the league, but i rate midfielders like Bont, Petracca, Oliver, as having a bigger impact on team performance.

Pretty circular discussion but what we don't know is how much more impact the Bont might have working to a Gawn or Grundy level ruckman, or if Trac and Oliver would be having the same impact working to a De Koning or Burgess level ruckman?

IMHO in a perfect world you have your gun midfielders AND your gun ruckman so I'm not sure why it should be getting discussed as an either/or scenario.

Pretty circular discussion but what we don't know is how much more impact the Bont might have working to a Gawn or Grundy level ruckman, or if Trac and Oliver would be having the same impact working to a De Koning or Burgess level ruckman?

IMHO in a perfect world you have your gun midfielders AND your gun ruckman so I'm not sure why it should be getting discussed as an either/or scenario.
The either/or scenario developed from my opinion that losing gun ruckman has a lesser effect than losing a gun midfielder.

Anyway, i don't think it's just your opinion that in a perfect world you would have both gun mids and ruckman.. I think that's obvious. But in a "perfecter" world, you would also have 6 gun forwards, and 6 gun defenders..:) (oh, and 4 gun subs and 1 gun medisub);)

IMO:

The point is demonstrably untrue and I’m amazed any Collingwood supporter would make that argument. In the 2000s we lost 2 perhaps 3 flags cause we were weak in the ruck. 2002, the one place we didn’t match Brisbane was in the ruck..McKee and Fraser were slaughtered. Our mids did a fantastic job roving to Brisbane’s rucks for most of the game, but that’s like running up a 2% gradient when your opponent is running on the flat. They ran out of steam and Brisbane got on top The last 10 minutes cause their rucks gave them first use of the ball. The 2007 prelim was a carbon copy. We matched Geelong everywhere but in the ruck. Otters smashed us…in a tight game it made a critical difference. In 2003 we were physically monstered by Brisbane. That monstering started in the ruck where Charman and Keating pulverised Fraser. That Collingwood team didn’t win a flag till we fixed the ruck problem. Simply put, we don’t win the 2010 flag without Jolly replacing Fraser. Ruck is certainly a position that can win or lose you a game

The point is demonstrably untrue and I’m amazed any Collingwood supporter would make that argument. In the 2000s we lost 2 perhaps 3 flags cause we were weak in the ruck. 2002, the one place we didn’t match Brisbane was in the ruck..McKee and Fraser were slaughtered. Our mids did a fantastic job roving to Brisbane’s rucks for most of the game, but that’s like running up a 2% gradient when your opponent is running on the flat. They ran out of steam and Brisbane got on top The last 10 minutes cause their rucks gave them first use of the ball. The 2007 prelim was a carbon copy. We matched Geelong everywhere but in the ruck. Otters smashed us…in a tight game it made a critical difference. In 2003 we were physically monstered by Brisbane. That monstering started in the ruck where Charman and Keating pulverised Fraser. That Collingwood team didn’t win a flag till we fixed the ruck problem. Simply put, we don’t win the 2010 flag without Jolly replacing Fraser. Ruck is certainly a position that can win or lose you a game

i agree, but no ruckman should be on huge money. You need a ruckman who can hold his own, but spend your top dollar on quality mids and KPPs.

i agree, but no ruckman should be on huge money. You need a ruckman who can hold his own, but spend your top dollar on quality mids and KPPs.

IMHO if your ruckman is putting up midfielder disposal and clearance numbers it changes the dynamic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back