Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah lets trail Cox as a half back too while we're at it.. jesus

I think zones and less need for man to man defenders are why the Hawks tried McEvoy in defence - to be an intercept marker. I don't think it's impossible that a better version of Cox could in the future become an intercept marking defender.

Moore doesn’t have great endurance. Pace, but no tank. Backline also way too short and weak without him
Where is this coming from? Or is it another Big Footy assumption that’s being written as fact? Up to now I’d never heard a peep about Moore’s endurance being an issue...

I think zones and less need for man to man defenders are why the Hawks tried McEvoy in defence - to be an intercept marker. I don't think it's impossible that a better version of Cox could in the future become an intercept marking defender.

I actually think he could be reasonable in the role if he had even a small amount of footy nous. Not sure it’d be the best for the player or team though because Mason Cox with footy nous would be a nightmare forward. He’d get more easy ball on top of his strong contested game.

Where is this coming from? Or is it another Big Footy assumption that’s being written as fact? Up to now I’d never heard a peep about Moore’s endurance being an issue...

Bigfooty knows all! Could you imagine this discussion in November of 2010 about trialing Davis down back? No accountability, poor one on one and too flashy...

I actually think he could be reasonable in the role if he had even a small amount of footy nous. Not sure it’d be the best for the player or team though because Mason Cox with footy nous would be a nightmare forward. He’d get more easy ball on top of his strong contested game.

Bigfooty knows all! Could you imagine this discussion in November of 2010 about trialing Davis down back? No accountability, poor one on one and too flashy...
At least with Davis it opened many people’s eyes to the fact that player can actually play other roles, instead of their current one.
Why we close our minds to such possibilities l don’t know.

Not being able to catch consistently would be another stumbling block.

Can he run and carry the ball through the middle of the ground? Can he play a role at stoppages on the outside of set plays? Can he run all day? Does he possess above average delivery into forward 50? Can he run with his opposing wingman who himself would be able to run all day?

People are obsessed with playing tall players who are mobile for big men on the wing, despite them not having any of the core characteristics of what the modern wingman needs to be able to do.
Delivery always questionable from my experience watching him so that might prove a negative. That said, kicking out of a contested back half while under siege might prove irrelevant if he became a marking option on the wing and had the opportunity to offer service to forwards as a permanent mid, or wingman.

As others have suggested, we would need to unearth a consistently viable alternative as a key back before affording ourselves the luxury.

Not sure why you would deploy one of your key assets to a wing.
although with continued tactics to play his opponent at full forward and exploit Roughy upfield, we need to be more tactically aware to counter this
and move him forward during games if need be

Was there a training session today? Are they normally Mon Wed Fri?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Does not sounds like it.

Took the Long Weekend?

Looks like other teams trained today. Surely there’s no time for long-weekend breaks with so much to do before the season starts?

Perhaps (hopefully) they had an indoor gym & pool session to beat the heat?

I’m not sure about this talk of moving Moore around. He was our first AA defender in a while in 2020, and I keep thinking of games where he was literally our last line of defence. He helped us win games, or more accurately, he stopped us losing more of them. Why change that?
If we had 4 of home it would be awesome to play 1 in each spot, fwd, wing, back and ruck, but alas we don’t. If we could recruit or develop a quality key back or 2 then perhaps Son Of Peter forward would be great.

Moore on a wing isn't needed. McEvoy isn't a very good full back. He's very slow and easy to beat if your smart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like other teams trained today. Surely there’s no time for long-weekend breaks with so much to do before the season starts?

Perhaps (hopefully) they had an indoor gym & pool session to beat the heat?

Given the events (hubs etc) of last season - if the players were given a long weekend to relax then so be it.

Given the events (hubs etc) of last season - if the players were given a long weekend to relax then so be it.

I can see your point but it looks like some other teams did train today. Are we leaving no stones unturned in our pursuit of excellence?

I can see your point but it looks like some other teams did train today. Are we leaving no stones unturned in our pursuit of excellence?

Not all clubs have the same training schedule. So those that trained today may not have trained on friday. But because we did, they gave them monday off, with tuesday a holiday.

Not all clubs have the same training schedule. So those that trained today may not have trained on friday. But because we did, they gave them monday off, with tuesday a holiday.

I’ll defer to your superior knowledge of such things. Thanks for the great reports and insights that you provide.

I’d love to trial Moore on a wing. He’s a great athlete, great kick, amazing mark and would have a height advantage over most players (let alone wingman).

He could push back and help out the defence. He could run forward and exploit his fellow wingman. Also be a bail out kick for the defence.

It would be very interesting.
CHB is a critically important position for us...we have many wing options. The other issue with Moore is his injury history, i would not be keen for him to be doing more run and bending down at pace to pick up the ball.

Moore is most valuable fit, let’s be happy if he’s on the field.

Is like to see lynch trialed as a defender
I posted exactly that on another site.
Currently, I believe, he is 3rd in line behind Cox & Cameron and as he has been on our list for 4/5 years and will most likely be delisted next year unless he can push for seniors.
He is big, fit and has speed and endurance, so I would play him as a KPD in the VFA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back