Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d love to trial Moore on a wing. He’s a great athlete, great kick, amazing mark and would have a height advantage over most players (let alone wingman).

He could push back and help out the defence. He could run forward and exploit his fellow wingman. Also be a bail out kick for the defence.

It would be very interesting.

I’d love to trial Moore on a wing. He’s a great athlete, great kick, amazing mark and would have a height advantage over most players (let alone wingman).

He could push back and help out the defence. He could run forward and exploit his fellow wingman. Also be a bail out kick for the defence.

Definitely think Moore needs to be used more effectively this year. I have him as a ruck rover, teaming with Grundy all over the ground.

I’m not sure about this talk of moving Moore around. He was our first AA defender in a while in 2020, and I keep thinking of games where he was literally our last line of defence. He helped us win games, or more accurately, he stopped us losing more of them. Why change that?

I’m not sure about this talk of moving Moore around. He was our first AA defender in a while in 2020, and I keep thinking of games where he was literally our last line of defence. He helped us win games, or more accurately, he stopped us losing more of them. Why change that?
We won’t. There’s nobody to replace him in key defence outside of Keane right now, who’s injured.

Ed actually said on Footy Classified last year that even with Daicos in the pipeline he'd prefer to have all priority access rules in the draft scrapped, from F/S to the academies.

Nah that would just been another nail in AFLs slow death.

The way the game is played now resembling a rugby and soccer match, mixed with softening of the physical contact laws and over sanitised DOC rules on tackling bumping etc. The game is losing fans.

I see more and more disgruntled fans and less kids taking the game up where I live and it was a footy mad place once.

Sounds like it's another typical over conservative approach to recovering from an injury. He will miss that much pre season that when he comes backs his hammies and calfs will be stiff as and he will have other issues rather than a PCL. OR, the club was talking sh*t about him playing in the finals last year

Was that the club or Howe himself? I thought all the hype was coming from the players while coaching staff were very conservative.

Yep the northern academy is a rort when you consider that the Swans have got Heeney, Campbell, Mills and Blakey out of it. The Lions got Andrews for starters.Swans were getting these blokes when finishing high up.

Blakey was a FS wasn't he?

Think it comes down to averages, the smart clubs try to keep the averages on their side.

If the match and selection committee believe Moore playing up the ground can help produce more wins than losses they may look at it.

I'd like him to stay in defence, but us to use him as a marking target more often. Might disrupt the zone too much, but I'm sure they could work out a way of covering him when he leaves to present.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will stay in Defence until we have a viable option to replace him.

Ed actually said on Footy Classified last year that even with Daicos in the pipeline he'd prefer to have all priority access rules in the draft scrapped, from F/S to the academies.

I don't listen to the Crap Eddie says

Blakey was a FS wasn't he?
No, Blakey was eligible for FS for North, but the Swans usurped them by signing him as an academy player. Ironically, his family has now moved down to Melbourne with his dad accepting a job at Norf.

Wingers need to have elite endurance, not sure that's Moore's strength. I think his opponent would run him into the ground most weeks

Can he run and carry the ball through the middle of the ground? Can he play a role at stoppages on the outside of set plays? Can he run all day? Does he possess above average delivery into forward 50? Can he run with his opposing wingman who himself would be able to run all day?

People are obsessed with playing tall players who are mobile for big men on the wing, despite them not having any of the core characteristics of what the modern wingman needs to be able to do.

Can he run and carry the ball through the middle of the ground? Can he play a role at stoppages on the outside of set plays? Can he run all day? Does he possess above average delivery into forward 50? Can he run with his opposing wingman who himself would be able to run all day?

People are obsessed with playing tall players who are mobile for big men on the wing, despite them not having any of the core characteristics of what the modern wingman needs to be able to do.

Yep, the modern elite wingman is an Issac Smith or Andrew Gaff, outside elite runners who can run all day and deliver the ball well into the forward 50 and receive the ball outside of packs then run and carry. It's not a role for a player whose predominant strength is contested marking.

I tend to agree and wouldn't even consider it whilst we're lacking kpps, but it'd be a different role if played by Moore. One which may maximise his marking strength and if effective enough would cause a diff approach from opposition.

I tend to agree and wouldn't even consider it whilst we're lacking kpps, but it'd be a different role if played by Moore. One which may maximise his marking strength and if effective enough would cause a diff approach from opposition.
Agree, he seemed to be the contested marking beast of his draft and even in his 2nd and 3rd year as a forward he was high up in the contested marking in the AFL.

Yeah lets trail Cox as a half back too while we're at it.. jesus

I’d say yes to most of them with a definite no running all day.

I’m just giving a suggestion. You get bored in the off-season. Haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back