Apples (The Fruit)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Now that the last of the Summer Fruit is well past its used by date and the Apple season is in full swing, thought I'd gauge people's preferences on my go to fruit. What is your favourite type of apple?

For me, I'm quite impressed with the newer varieties, like Jazz and Modi. Both crisp and a good balance between sweetness and acidity. Really like these. Not a fan of the Delicious varieties at all as 9 times out of 10 they are floury. So in order of preference:
Jazz
Royal Gala
Modi
Pink Lady
Jonathon
Sundowner
Fuji
Red Delicious
Golden Delicious

What is your fave Apple?

I detest floury apples with the fire of a thousand suns.

There’s something immensely disappointing about biting into an apple expecting some crunch and maybe even a bit of juice splash onto your face, and instead getting that limp flouriness.

If I was a hibernating animal, my winter cave walls would be lined with porridge, chick peas and apples.

A fruit that is taken for granted, but if the flesh is too floury or the skin too strenuous it ruins the experience. I've always gone for the Pink Lady, but don't mind a Royal Gala or Granny Smith. That said, outside seasonal fruit I tend towards the kiwifruit (eaten whole) and bananas (normal).

On a tangent, I grew up with distantly related Loquats. My dad planted loquat trees in most of my childhood homes, and the earliest sandwich spread I remember is homemade loquat jam sandwiches. In those daycare days before preschool, always had my loquat jam sandwich (with the crusts off) for lunch. The fruit are delicious as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing beats a good Red Delicious apple. Crunchy, fairly sweet without being excruciatingly so, the perfect size for your hand.

Pink Ladys have a decent flavour but so inconsistent and easily bruised; probably because of how fleshy they are.

Granny Smiths are great value for money and pretty consistent as well.

How good are those Fuji's you get from roadside fruit sellers? Delish

Golden Delicious overrated IMO

We planted one of the new Redlove apples last year, can’t wait to try my first one. They are red inside and supposed to be a bit tart like Granny Smiths and very juicy.

F74B0445-BC9A-4F90-B59A-B16F7AB4701D.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back