Apples' Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a few glasses of cab sav.

God I hope he gets his body right, stars and silences a fair few. In terms of how much he's been knocked on this board recently, I'd love him to become this year's Chris Mayne redemption story.

Hahaha yep that's going to happen.

So, Murphy has caught Mihocek in the height stakes.

Word is it that Murph will have Benny Reid covered for height by Christmas, then Grundy by Valentine's Day.

This year's Anzac Day will feature the appearance of the world's tallest AFL player, with Murphy taking the mantle from big Coxy. They're working on a really tall banner as we speak.

Word is it that Murph will have Benny Reid covered for height by Christmas, then Grundy by Valentine's Day.

This year's Anzac Day will feature the appearance of the world's tallest AFL player, with Murphy taking the mantle from big Coxy. They're working on a really tall banner as we speak.
They were standing side by side. I guessed there was nothing in it.

Training Report: No.1, 2018-2019.

Speaking of bulking up, Nathan Murphy doesn't appear to have changed much, but his upper body was covered, so we'll wait and see on that. He is still growing though.He's the same size as Mihacek now and I'm pretty sure he wasn't a year ago. Can anybody confirm?

This time last year I watched Brandon Sier closely. I remember thinking how good he looked and how well he was moving. But would he be any good or was I being seduced by a great smooth mover? Today I wondered who would be the next Braydon Sier out there.....the player to surprise us to take the next step.

Firstly, brilliant to have these back Apples. Thanks so much for the time you put in.

Murphy for me is the one I want to see have that Sier like preseason and I’m intrigued by his development this summer.

There’s a whole heap of jokes going on around his height, almost surpassing the talk on Jackson Paine, but if he’s Mihocek height now or a couple of cm taller than he will be a must watch. Played off halfback last year but if he is that height I’d love to see him at half forward. Think he kicked bags at school level so there may be natural forward talent there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How did Sier look today Apples?
He looked a million bucks PS! And he just has a presence now. In 2017 training sessions he always looked like a shy kid, a bit on the outer and not quite fitting in. Suddenly last summer he got his body right and finally began to believe in himself. Today he looked comfortable in his own skin. We've all seen it happen before, but it's such an interesting thing that self belief.

With a few glasses of cab sav.

God I hope he gets his body right, stars and silences a fair few. In terms of how much he's been knocked on this board recently, I'd love him to become this year's Chris Mayne redemption story.
Agree.

Pathetic the disrespect.

The thing is, Wells is a special talent. Sublime skill.
But anyway, let people bag him says more about them than a sublime talent who has played 250 plus AFL games.

Extra strength in case of wind.

If you think that Daniel Wells playing some good footy is out of the question, you haven't watched much AFL over the last 20 years.
I agree with your comment about Wells but personally I wouldn’t play him this year at the expense of developing a 5-10 year player in the same position. If he had got fit early days and had a crack I’d love him to be part of the side but I think it’s time to look past him. We have Beams now anyway who will take the spot of someone who potentially had a good season. Last year. Let’s still keep an eye on the future while we win the flag next season.

I think he might be confusing Tohill (who is a big boy) with Will Kelly. I didn't see Kelly out there either.
I'm glad more people came in the end, I was starting to feel like a creeper watching them alone without nobody else around. lol

But yeah, I would have noticed him. Maybe got confused with Lynch? who was wearing a cap today. Also Roughead was out there as well.

If you think that Daniel Wells playing some good footy is out of the question, you haven't watched much AFL over the last 20 years.

Guaranteed I have watched more live footy then yourself especially if you think Wells will have a great injury free season, the game has become quicker and more intense then ever, Wells might play a couple good games but won't be a factor come finals hasn't taken care of his body the last 5 years and has gone on 2 years to many.

Buckley was one of the most professional AFL players you will ever see he couldn't get past 34

How many blokes play past 34?

Pies should have got the FA pick as we pretty much gave him a retirement package.

Collingwood doesn't need Wells.

Guaranteed I have watched more live footy then yourself especially if you think Wells will have a great injury free season, the game has become quicker and more intense then ever, Wells might play a couple good games but won't be a factor come finals hasn't taken care of his body the last 5 years and has gone on 2 years to many.

Buckley was one of the most professional AFL players you will ever see he couldn't get past 34

Pies should have got the FA pick as we pretty much gave him a retirement package.

I'm not predicting a great year, but think your foolish to write him off. Some footballers are special and can do things that others can't - Daniel Welles is one such footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not predicting a great year, but think your foolish to write him off. Some footballers are special and can do things that others can't - Daniel Welles is one such footballer.
If I was putting money on it I'd play it safe and expect another year where we got bugger all out of Daniel Wells, and that his career would end on a rather poor note. Yet I'm hoping that he thinks that his "legacy" will be harmed if he has another year where he produces very little, and also hoping that he feels that he needs to pay Collingwood back for taking a chance on him, and rewarding him handsomely despite us getting not much in return for our investment. I just hope he gets himself as fit as he can be, and gives himself the best possible chance of contributing. I doubt any of the skill has left him; he has a lot more of that than the average footballer, and if fit he can probably still move very nicely.

If he/we could just have a bit of luck we'd have a very handy "recruit" come into the side in 2019. While we've already got plenty of midfield options these days, if this bloke could get fit and is up for a "final fling" he would add a new dimension to the side. It just might happen!

Training Report: No.1, 2018-2019.

In every heart there is a room
A sanctuary safe and strong
To heal the wounds ...........

Dunno why Billy Joel’s poetry ran through my head this morning. There I was walking across the MCG bridge to the Holden Centre, and bang! Returning to the scene of the latest Collingwood heartbreak Onwards and upwards Pie People!

Training:
Reid, Phillips, Cox, De Goey, Adams, Sier, Madgen, Mihacek, Appleby, C Brown,
T Brown, Daicos, Wills, Stephenson, Murphy, Crocker, Varcoe, Will Kelly, Atu Bosenavulagi, Issac Quaynor,

The new recruits were training for the first time; Issac and Atu moving like cats. So good to watch!
Will Kelly’s a big boy, but looks pretty raw.

I watched The Irish boy Keane closely. He and Quaynor were coached by Robert Harvey initially. The drill was to retrieve a ground ball and avoid the tackle of an opponent. Quaynor is strong and very agile. Stood up in the tackles.
Keane was concerned with the grass ‘burns’ on his lower back, courtesy of a Quaynor tackle. Would he have ever had one previously?

He looks like a beauty this boy. Tall with big strong legs and surprising agility. He trained on the Glasshouse side so we got to see a fair bit of him.

The first thing I noticed were his sure hands. After the stretching exercises the players ran to the river end where they lined up for ball drills. Players were called towards a trainer who rolled a bouncing ball toward them. Keane retrieved the ball from his bootstraps without missing a beat, every single time.

Kelly and Toehill were down st the river end and I don’t have anything on them.

Could Josh Daicos have shrunk? Maybe it’s an illusion due to his bulked up shoulders and arms? Looked very small all of a sudden.

Speaking of bulking up, Nathan Murphy doesn't appear to have changed much, but his upper body was covered, so we'll wait and see on that. He is still growing though.He's the same size as Mihacek now and I'm pretty sure he wasn't a year ago. Can anybody confirm?

Atu Bosenavulagi is the same height as Taylor Adams but bigger in the thighs. Very strong through the hips and lightning fast.

This time last year I watched Brandon Sier closely. I remember thinking how good he looked and how well he was moving. But would he be any good or was I being seduced by a great smooth mover? Today I wondered who would be the next Braydon Sier out there.....the player to surprise us to take the next step.

Appleby trained impressively and dare I say it.....Ben Reid looked as good as I’ve ever seen him. Sprinting full pace all session.

Callum Brown and DeGoey did running work on the Glasshouse side.

Oh yes, I forgot to add, Bucks was back.
View attachment 589520 View attachment 589521 View attachment 589522

View attachment 589515
Nice one. Thanks. Interesting to note that Buckley's ability to create extra time on the footy field has transferred to holidays, as his reported three month break has been compressed into something less than 8 weeks.

Nice one. Thanks. Interesting to note that Buckley's ability to create extra time on the footy field has transferred to holidays, as his reported three month break has been compressed into something less than 8 weeks.
Did I read somewhere that he was always intending to come home for day one or week one of training and then resume the holiday with his family?

Yes, he's back earlier than expected, but he didn't actually run any drills. He just observed and spoke to the players and line coaches. A few extra photos from yesterday.
Pic 1: Bucks talks to line coaches
Pic 2: The close up of Murphy shows the 'mistaken identity' player in the background. It's Anton Tohill not Kelly.
Pic 3: Irish recruit Mark Keane stretching
Pic 4: Isaac Quaynor stretching
Coaches.JPG Murphy.JPG Keane stetch.JPG Quaynor stretch.JPG

I dunno. Every club needs a fit Wells. The question is whether he’ll be fit. I’m guessing it’s about 20%.

Pic 2: The close up of Murphy shows the 'mistaken identity' player in the background. It's Anton Tohill not Kelly.

View attachment 589896

That photo of Murphy is an interesting one for our team of photo forensics. His head appears to be way above the height of the 199cm Tohill.:think:

You're welcome KP. I was very surprised watching Keane yesterday. Was expecting a skinny kid (like Tohill) but he isn't. He a big, agile type with very good hands and reflexes. Loved the way he gathered the ball at pace. Unlike Tohill, he has very strong legs. He's going to be very interesting to watch.
He’s Irish so he’s wiry

5C68C1C7-C4F9-47BB-88F8-FB11F4169BB1.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back