Apples' Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed

Wells has played more than 10 games a season only once since 2013.

Of his 14 games for Collingwood, 2 were ended by injury at least, so he has actually only completed 12.

Easy question. If Daniel Wells contract finished at the end of 2018, does anyone think we or anyone else would have offered him a new one?

Anything from him would be a bonus, but I am expecting very little. The issue was that we pulled the wrong lever in the first place. We need to acknowledge that, and never do it again.
Well Gubby Allan moving on should help ensure that.

I saw Wells for a bit. He came out from inside and stood to the side. I lost track of him then, he might have went back inside. But he was in his training stuff. Might be doing stuff inside in the gym.

Helping the cooks with team lunch

Last edited:
Update on how overweight Wells has returned please

Well I was told they put a padlock on the fridge at the Holden centre to keep him out

Last edited:
Did you make it to Friday's training Apples?

My take

- hotter work today with the sun out and the balls out quite a bit. Fitness through football you might describe it. A lot of work focussed on working in traffic in restricted areas - A lot of keepings off 4 vs 3 but also 8 vs 8. Repeat run throughs in pairs with a handball from a coach as reward for whichever in the pair had built a gap on the other, but designed to handle the ball under fatigue. Transition from end to end by hand & foot. Contested work in pairs in the air amongst the taller players (Reid, Cox, Magden, Keane, Tohill, Mihocek) interspersed by running. Keane does impress as a spoiler in defence. Cox too big for both of his alternating opponents (Checkers and Keane)

- Absent, from memory, Crisp, Grundy, Treloar, Wells, Thomas, Maynard, Kelly, Goldsack, Greenwood, Scharenberg, (Dunn, who went for a walk)

- Reduced loads so mainly run throughs - Beams, Howe, Aish, Crocker, Broomhead (who tells me the pain is settling down slowly). Moore, Elliott did some kicking amongst themselves too in addition to some run throughs. All of these finished early before 11.30am

- Full drills but left track relatively early - Quaynor, Atu, Keane, Wills

- VFL attendees - Wellings, Ralph

- Who impressed? - Stephenson is really pushing himself the whole time. Nathan Murphy pushed home hard to win the last group ~250m by passing Tom Phillips on the line. Callum Brown was trying to assert himself more with his running during drills. Max Lynch was also notably pushing hard on the track.

- Who was struggling? - Tohill and Keane are notably less physically developed. Tohill is very thin and was clearly having trouble in the heat by the end, being last one home of the 25 or so players in the 250m (albeit earlier he had been beating Cox in run throughs). Keane is more solid but little muscle tone. Their skills seemed pretty good though. Tohill was working on kicking at the end when I left

- Who were the leaders on the track? - Pendles, Mayne probably the most vocal I thought. Varcoe was taking Josh Daicos through an evasion exercise when I left. One of about 6 remaining on the track which included Magden and Appleby working on short passing together.

- Who's running the program? - Kevvy, Banger, Buddha, Longmuir were most notable. Sanderson, Boyd, Pebbles absent. Buckley fairly silent.

Are they training on Monday?

Thanks Albert Park; great summary.

I note your comment re: Broomhead and do worry about whether he can get back after that very serious leg break. With his move to the rookie list it wouldn't surprise me if he and the club are seeing how his recovery progresses over the summer as his loads are increased. If it gets to the end of pre season and he is still experiencing pain it wouldn't come as a shock to me if he just decided to pull the pin. I hope not but just get that feeling.
Did he ever really get to anything to go back to anyway? Would need to add more vigour and intensity to his game to succeed. Broomhead is one player I am quietly confident will never become a regular player.

Did he ever really get to anything to go back to anyway? Would need to add more vigour and intensity to his game to succeed. Broomhead is one player I am quietly confident will never become a regular player.
There’s a lot of Aish about Broomhead to me. Think both probably produced very similar in terms of output and what they’ve offered the team when playing seniors.

There’s a lot of Aish about Broomhead to me. Think both probably produced very similar in terms of output and what they’ve offered the team when playing seniors.
God knows with Broomhead. He looks likely, but has he ever gone 4 games without an injury. Poor kid just cant get a run at it.

Retrospect is a great thing. Truth is, he was the player we needed and came off a good season the year before we got him. Was it worth the risk? Yes. Has the risk paid off. No. But you can't predict these things with 100% accuracy. So I don't buy the "we pulled the wrong lever in the first place" argument. We pulled the right level -- it just wasn't a sure thing.
The contract size and length were the wrong lever

The contract size and length were the wrong lever

Okay, I’ll go with that. Though I think the length was important to getting him. And again, he’d just come off a good year (and he destroyed us in one game I recall) so I get why we went for him. Part of the retrospect thing is that it’s easy to forget just how bad our delivery into the forward line was back then. I mean, Buckley almost lost his job because of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was coming back in good physical shape I wouldn't have a crack at him, Nth days he would come back overweight and unfit and mostly get away with it due to his age can't do that now and it has shown 45 games in his last 5 seasons.

see the above get a clue seriously, I have been on this board for 10 years and contributed my fair share from inside club info to player sponsors, I just don't get sucked in by false hope and the colour jumper a player wears.
Longevity means zip
Example bishop ex speaker achieved little

Snide remarks at the expense of others is poor taste

Season hasn't started and your already laying the boots in

We all get you
Disagree with his recruitment
Question his professionalism
Question the clubs judgement

Hotdogs cab sav champagne comedy
And All with 10 years experience

Longevity means zip
Example bishop ex speaker achieved little

Snide remarks at the expense of others is poor taste

Season hasn't started and your already laying the boots in

We all get you
Disagree with his recruitment
Question his professionalism
Question the clubs judgement

Hotdogs cab sav champagne comedy
And All with 10 years experience

Tell Daniel I said hello

Is there a specific correlation between the heat and when the players get their balls out?

On a more general note, do they appear to have altered training drills to reflect 2019 rule changes?
A mate told me a story how he was holidaying in the greek isles and a stack of Poms were there at the time. They'd strip right off and expose that very pale white skin of theirs.

One day on the beach he's walking past this guy who'd fallen asleep, while sunbaking in sluggo's. Poor bastard had one of his jatz crackers poking out the side of his rather loose swimmers and the sun was beaming. One mate said to the other " you should tell that guy, one of his cags is hanging out" to which he replied "piss off, you tell him". They both walked away saying nothing. That dude was in for some pain.

Speaking of fitness Quaynor has a fair rig on him for an 18 year old looks like he has been in the system 6 years.

He sure does. One of the biggest kids I can remember coming through at the club. And not just big, but looks ripped. Would have been a real nightmare for forwards in junior footy, with that strength. Will be interesting to see how he develops over the next 2 or 3 years and how much of a ceiling he has, given that early physical development.

Totally agree with your thoughts on Mark Keane. He has very good skills already and he looks very strong physically. In the couple of short practice games at training yesterday he looked quite comfortable with reading and understanding the game. If he sticks with us, I think we have another very good international player on our hands. Tohill is not as well developed physically yet. He has good ball skills, good hands and kicks well, but he looks lost in reading the game and knowing where to run to in practice games and 1 on 1 drills. But early days yet and I'm sure they will both develop quickly with a few VFL games under their belt.

Will Kelly was out there? I must have missed seeing him. I didn't think he could run yet less alone train because of the injury he acquired? Didn't he say he will be seeing a surgeon soon to get the go ahead?

He had Foot Surgery so I guess that be a Reason why he might not be out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back