Apples' Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great write up. The urge to be a buzzkill on Greenwood is so so strong, but what's the point with everyone seemingly in off-season mode!

It's encouraging to read that there doesn't seem to be anyone completely out of action currently!

Maybe don't go the buzzkill on Greenwood, not yet. He underperformed this season and most around here know that he needs to lift, but at least the training report suggests that Levi himself is quite aware of his position.

Maybe don't go the buzzkill on Greenwood, not yet. He underperformed this season and most around here know that he needs to lift, but at least the training report suggests that Levi himself is quite aware of his position.

He's underperformed since he joined the club, but his ankle injury meant he avoided the scorn in year 1. Nevertheless now is not the time.

He's underperformed since he joined the club, but his ankle injury meant he avoided the scorn in year 1. Nevertheless now is not the time.

My sense is that Levi has been watching all of the Rocky movies since the end of the season, or at least he's checked out some of Rocky's best training montages, and he's ready to be better than ever. And if he fails then at least he'll be able to catch chooks with his bare hands. Go Levi!

I'll do a Muscle Watch next week Hardas. I can tell you who hasn't muscled up over the off season; Tim Broomhead. He looks as if he just got dragged out of an under 16 team. Some disrespectful track watchers were referring to Hoskin-Elliott as "Chicken Legs."
Oh ohh- now you've done it. You will have one particular poster in here giving you curry for daring to say anything bad about Broomhead. In the same post he will bag Pendles for starting training early this pre season.

Oh ohh- now you've done it. You will have one particular poster in here giving you curry for daring to say anything bad about Broomhead. In the same post he will bag Pendles for starting training early this pre season.
He probably has no muscle tone because Pendles came back early and hogged all the weights. The sooner we make Kirby captain, the better.

He probably has no muscle tone because Pendles came back early and hogged all the weights. The sooner we make Kirby captain, the better.
He needs to stop making excuses and lift Pendles, then.

Conditions: Warm and sunny
About 4 spectators present at 9:30 which was a little surprising. Later about 25 fans attended.

Not training:

Josh Daicos
Callum Brown
Kayle Kirby
(although he was sighted on the sidelines)
Sam McLarty
•It was suggested by other track watchers that these boys were being rested after Friday’s sizzling hot training session.

Not in full training:
Tom Langdon: came onto field late. Walked and ran laps. Still some time away from the looks of his condition.
Ben Crocker: Ran laps
Ben Reid: Ran laps and near full pace. Doesn’t look far away. No bandages.
Matt Sharenberg: Joined in some of the drills and then ran laps.
Daniel Wells: ran laps for most of the session. Did some 100M sprints. Not far off.
Brayden Sier: Did early ball warm up skill work, then ran laps. Behind the expected schedule.

••I was told that urine samples had been taken before training by an outside company.
••I wasn’t aware that training had begun last Friday in the extremely hot weather. I was told that a time trial was run with the following top place getters:
1. Steele Sidebottom
2. Tom Phillips
3. Levi Greenwood

Training began with players split into 3 groups for kicking skills.
Later groups played in congested handball drills. Emphasis was on very fast disposal. It looked to me a lot like the way the Bulldogs played late in the year; very quick handballs that went backwards, sideways and backwards over the head.

Then match simulation took place. Two teams were pitted against each other. Much of the play began from boundary throw-in and ball ups. One ruckman (Grundy or Mason Cox) worked on getting the ball down to his designated rover.
The players took three minute breaks and were replaced by others in this match play.
This drill went on for about an hour. This was implementing a game plan and emphasis was on fast movement from defence into the forward line.
•Lachlan Keefe played defence against Darcy Moore.
Levi Greenwood continued his pre-Christmas form. He looks lean and very fit. Dominated around the ball. Also prominent were, Treloar, Pendles and Goldsack. At the end of this drill, Daniel Wells walked over and took Josh Thomas aside and was making suggestions about positioning. Nice to see him taking on a leadership role so early.

Now all players take part in 15 minute goal-kicking drills at the Yarra end.

If the players thought the session was over now, they were in for a very rude shock. After 90 minutes they were to undergo some very gruelling running sessions. The players were split into 2 groups. Players sprinted 100m, then jogged 100m, before sprinting again. Levi Greenwood won most of the sprints in his group. Brodie Grundy, who looks super fit, won a couple of sprints too edging out Greenwood. It was terrific to see Josh Thomas work very hard to win 3 or 4 of the sprints in his group. Also impressive were Sidebottom, Crisp, Sinclair, Varcoe and Philips.

Now there’s an all-in 300m lap. And it’s a tussle between Greenwood and Phillips. Greenwood outstays Phillips with Sidebottom third.

Now it’s back to the 100m sprints. Grundy and Crisp beat Greenwood this time.

Now the players are lined up on the Glasshouse side in two groups for a 400m sprint. Jesse White wins from Lyndon Dunne, Ben Sinclair and Josh Thomas in Group 1.
In Group 2, Levi Greenwood burns them off. Phillips is next and then Pendles, Howe, Treloar and Broomhead.

Some Observations:
Levi Greenwood – I don’t think I’ve seen a player so dominant during a pre-season before. He’s won time trials, 400m sprints, 100m sprints and sizzled in match play. He’s lean, fit and very determined to win a spot in a highly contested position in the team.
Jamie Elliott – looks super fit. Took part in all drills and did some nice things in the match plays. Very good to see.
Tim Broomhead – was prominent throughout training in all drills. Was opposed by Will Hoskin-Elliott and had the better of that duel.
Lachie Keeffe and Josh Thomas – both these boys have returned fit and raring to go. Obviously they have worked very hard over the past 2 years. For Thomas to do so well in the sprints is really pleasing. I wonder if the Club was allowed to organise training for them or if they had to organise this themselves? Whichever it was, it has worked.
There was a new boy on the track that we couldn’t name. He took part in all drills and match practice. I’m taking a stab here and calling him as Rookie, Henry Shade from the Gold Coast Suns. Good size and is quite a nice mover.
Alex Fasolo – took part in full training. Was heavily strapped on left shoulder. Did OK in a Fasolo kind of way.
Chris Mayne – not prominent but worked hard. Is looking very lean and fit.
Brayden Maynard – Trained hard. Looks to have gained a yard or two. Was at the front of most sprints.
Tyson Goldsack – worked very hard. Stood out in match play with decision making. Disposal a bit hit and miss.
Jack Crisp – I thought Crispy was outstanding today. Really vocal and aggressive at the ball.
Lynden Dunne – Didn’t notice him a great deal except for his disposal when he got the ball. Penetrating kick. Did very well in the running work too.
Jess White – Perhaps the best I’ve seen him train. Seemed to be everywhere. Has great speed; I hope he uses that consistently.
Jeremy Howe, Josh Smith and Jack Ramsay were all good too.
They say you play as you train and it’s no wonder Pendles, Sidey and Treloar are such consistent players for us. They always work hard. Treloar was like a big kid today. At one stage he asked a coach what the next drill was and when told, punched his palm and cried “Yes!” with enthusiasm. Made me laugh.

In closing, if I were writing a headline for training today it was be this:
Levi Greenwood Continues His Scintillating Form at Collingwood Training.

Next training session is Wednesday at 9:00am.

Last edited:
Great report. Greenwood is definitely a player who needs to be manic in order to get the best out of himself, great to hear he's going at it hard. Hope he passes the urine test...

Love hearing about Elliott, but the Broomhead bit also caught my eye. If his attitude is right and his body holds up then I might just dare to dream with him once more.

PS: There would have been at least one more spectator at training when you did your head count, but Hagla was farting around the freeway or doing his hair or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great write up....Like to know how Scharenberg is tracking? Would love to see him up and going round 1 this year.

Also a guy that l think will be important for us next year, with his grunt and tackling pressure is Wills. How has he been tracking this pre season?

. Treloar was like a big kid today. At one stage he asked a coach what the next drill was and when told, punched his palm and cried “Yes!” with enthusiasm. Made me laugh..

That was the highlight for me. What a star

Nice write up Mazzarjo - missed one thing though - Rupe news. How did Wills go?
Rupe was there today and took part in all drills. he was one of the last to leave the track. Wanted to do a bit more running! The last to leave the track was Mr J Blair. A full 20 minutes after every other player. Blairy did goal kicking at the river end. Snaps on his right and left from deep in both pockets. He was supervised by two trainers. He was very accurate too both from snaps and set shots from further out. What a little champ!

Just on Treloar, the boy is clearly fair dinkum about going to the next level and maybe snagging a Charlie in the process.

Trained few times at my local gym while the boys were on Chrissy break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back