Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Jordan De Goey. Has suffered a hamstring injury. Will be back in the new year.
When on his bike taken from bikies without a helmet going at speeds not ever seen before...

The fashion gurus, a question for you.

Does Ben Crocker have the oddest tattoos?

If his attitude is anything to go by, he isn't bothered. The players were calling out to him in very good spirits as he watched from the coaches' box. I agree with Jen - he's on holidays now and will come back fine and ready to go....so long as he refuses all offers for joy rides in black Mercs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Training Report: Monday 17th December 2018
Cloudy but pleasant enough at 20 degrees.
Not Training:
Dayne Beams (gastro)
DeGoey (rested) was upstairs watching from the coaches' box.
Crisp (gym)
Dunn
Sharenberg
Modified Training:
Greenwood, Will Kelly, Goldsack, Maynard

The players were already into running drills by the time I arrived. I stood next to Big Footy correspondent Jen2310n and introduced myself. She had all the latest.

I then spoke to a couple of people on my left. Irish accents I thought. Perhaps these people are Anton Tohill's family, I suggested to Jen. Alas, the accent was Scottish and the lady I spoke to for a while was on holiday from Japan. This is the only time she gets to see the players in the flesh. She also told me she was a Big Footy 'lurker' as was another gent, Michael?, who joined us for a chat. Michael had lived in the US until recently. It was terrific chatting to knowledgable new people who all rely on Big Footy in various ways.

Michael chatted about his favourite posters, among them, Albert, Knightmare, Scodog and BigHorse. I can verify the importance that sites such as Big Footy and Nick's play in the lives of interstate and overseas Magpies, and it was reinforced again today.

It was a fairly light session, but of most interest was the computerised Beep Test. The playing group was divided into two groups.

Group 1 was given a trial run listening to the computer as it gave instructions. Basically, the players took off on the beep, ran approx 20 metres to a line (trying to beat the beep) and back to the start in 11 secs. The computer then changed the times and recovery time.

Group 1 was: Sier, Howe, Roughead, Pendles, Mihocek, Lynch, Adams, Madgen, Moore, Grundy, Tohill, Cox
As the going got tougher, coaches signalled players to be eliminated.
One by one the players fell by the wayside until suddenly only three remained: Mihocek, Howe and Pendlebury.
Then Pendles and Checkers were left to battle it out. Pendles was the last man standing. Great effort from the Captain.

Group 2 watched from the sidelines encouraging the runners until it was their turn.

Group 2: Atu, Isaac, Sidey, Stevo, Flipper, Crocker, Thomas, Appleby, Daicos, Varcoe, Callum Brown, Tyler Brown
They battled it out until only Quaynor, Phillips and Stephenson remained. Isaac fell next leaving Phillips and Stevo to battle it out. I was a little surprised to see Stevo win pretty comfortably. What a star pick-up was this little champ; he just keeps giving!

Some kicking drills and goal kicking drills followed and players gradually left the field. Phillips spent ages chatting to the few fans in attendance. He's so relaxed with all comers is Flipper. I'm really impressed with this skill he has to make supporters feel special. Coxy and Grundy spoke to supporters too.

A couple of ladies who never miss a session, were there handing out Christmas cards to every player. One even tracked down Crispy in the cafe! What passion.

Jen told me that Brodie Grundy said they would be back on the track for their last session early on Tuesday.

Albert and Jen, please feel free to add anything you noticed from this morning.
View attachment 596309 View attachment 596311
I got there right at the end of training......but you managed to capture me over Tom Phillips shoulder in your photo!
Thx for the report Apples.

Murph towering over Coxy now.
See how Coxy is holding Murphy down, trying to manoeuvre Nathan to get some advantage back height wise.

He’s learning that Cox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back