Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, the Musee D'Orsay is sensational. Like you we opted for it rather than the Louvre. My family and friends have never let me forget that. All of my travelling companions had done the Louvre heaps of times.
If you have time, go to Monet's garden. It's worth the trip out to Giverny about an hour from Paris. If you're a gardener, you'll love it and the house itself which is filled with his paintings. Tip, go early to avoid the busloads of Chinese tourists. We took a tour but you can take the train out there.
Forgot to add, a stroll through Rue Montorgueil is a must in Paris. It's a narrow street filled with cafes, pastry shops, fishmongers etc. The cheese and croissant shops were, well, way too tempting.

Last edited:
Complete agreement that either of those two could handle him (hell Noble or Aish could probably do it if needed) and that it potentially works in our favour, but it’s not how we went against them last time out. When they rolled out with their core 3 + Simpson we had Roughead on Simpson which blew up in our face!

If we instead went Scharenberg over Aish I’d have no such concerns and it would allow Crisp and Maynard more freedom. My take is this was a selection with an eye towards the GF when Scharenberg won’t have a matchup so they wanted Aish to get one game in at least...
Pretty sure our coaches won't fall for the same tricks this time Scodog. We'll get the matchups right this time, but they will have their match up issues as well. We're playing well this time around. I am worried about Mumford though. He's a sniper and will now have an all or nothing attitude with fellow-sniper Greene out.

Anymore tourist tips for Paris?

I only have 3 more days in Paris, and I don't want to leave. But at least I will be home for the GF, if we make it.

A wander around the Aligre Market in the morning?

Did you enjoy the impressionist level of the D’Orsay? Wander around Monet’s Garden at Giverney while listening to Debussy or something like that? (it’s a day trip from Paris)

I was a big fan of L’Atelier des Lumiere for something a bit different.

A wander around the Montmatre area is touristy but still nice, and a great view over Paris.

The Marais District is good for shopping.

If you want to complete the Gallery trifecta, the Pompidou Centre holds the modern art collection.

Can’t really go wrong in Paris - wandering around lost for three days is as good as anything else you could do!

Yes, you could, but none of those composers would rate in the top 3 based on output or quality, although that is applying a sporting measure to an art form, which possibly makes it meaningless.

Agree, but IMO that period music is still significant.

My taste in classical music isn’t that high brow (as you could no doubt tell by the composers I listed :) ). For example, I understand that Bach was revolutionary in the context of his era, but I just find Baroque period very difficult to listen to.

You could probably take it in the other direction to, with the likes of Telemann, Vivaldi, Scalatti, Couperin, Rameau

Not familiar with the latter three, but I’ll check them out.

Went to the Chopin museum in Paris today. As a piano player I was curious to check out the cast of his left hand. Wasn't allowed to, but couldn't resist stricking a few keys on his piano. Pianos in those days were terrible compared to the Steinways and Bosendorfers of today. Chopin would be staggered.

Haha, and you wonder if Chopin were around today whether he’d be more interested in an electric synth!! :eek:

Yes, you could, but none of those composers would rate in the top 3 based on output or quality, although that is applying a sporting measure to an art form, which possibly makes it meaningless.

You could probably take it in the other direction to, with the likes of Telemann, Vivaldi, Scalatti, Couperin, Rameau

Went to the Chopin museum in Paris today. As a piano player I was curious to check out the cast of his left hand. Wasn't allowed to, but couldn't resist stricking a few keys on his piano. Pianos in those days were terrible compared to the Steinways and Bosendorfers of today. Chopin would be staggered.

Also went to the Musee D'Orsay, which was amazing. Enjoyed it more than the Louvre, mainly because it is less overwhelming.

I only have 3 more days in Paris, and I don't want to leave. But at least I will be home for the GF, if we make it.

Go Pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you are after a proper Parisian tourist experience that doesn't get written up in guide books, we found the walk between the louvre and the bridge with padlocks is a great place to get pickpocketed by gypsies.

Also went to the Musee D'Orsay, which was amazing. Enjoyed it more than the Louvre, mainly because it is less overwhelming.

Go Pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take a day and go to the Palace of Versailles - magnificent, and you'll find it to be beyond your wildest expectation of the historic wealth and opulence of the time.
I have been to Paris a number of times, and am amazed how just simply walking around that beautiful city can be so pleasurable.

Enjoy!!

Take a day and go to the Palace of Versailles - magnificent, and you'll find it to be beyond your wildest expectation of the historic wealth and opulence of the time.
I have been to Paris a number of times, and am amazed how just simply walking around that beautiful city can be so pleasurable.

Enjoy!!
Shame about the inhabitants though.

Enjoy!!
I second that about Versailles and there's a musical experience as well. Wander down towards the rear of the gardens to the musical fountains. There you can take in all the beauty as well as listen to the music specifically written for the fountains (Lully: Grande Musical Fountains of Versailles). Double whammy!

I second that about Versailles and there's a musical experience as well. Wander down towards the rear of the gardens to the musical fountains. There you can take in all the beauty as well as listen to the music specifically written for the fountains (Lully: Grande Musical Fountains of Versailles). Double whammy!

And take a boat and row on the Lake looking back towards the Palace - just magic.

Pretty sure our coaches won't fall for the same tricks this time Scodog. We'll get the matchups right this time, but they will have their match up issues as well. We're playing well this time around. I am worried about Mumford though. He's a sniper and will now have an all or nothing attitude with fellow-sniper Greene out.

What gives you confidence in that? The only supporting evidence we have indicates that we won’t with Roughead getting the least mobile tall whenever Moore and Howe have both played.

With the benefit of 24 hrs or so I’m starting to believe that Madgen was actually the right call because he’s well suited to Himmelberg and Reiwoldt (should we be lucky enough to make it that far) with his athletic profile. Again it’s not going to be match defining, IMO, but it has the potential to be one of those 1%ers that contribute to the overall outcome.

One thing though if we allow the clean ball we did early in Rd 18 we could have Scarlett, Rance and SOS and we’d still get a touch up. The result will hinge on our ability to generate good field position, our structure down back and how well we restrict their ball movement.

What gives you confidence in that? The only supporting evidence we have indicates that we won’t with Roughead getting the least mobile tall whenever Moore and Howe have both played.
I suppose my confidence comes from my belief that we have a damn good group of coaches who would have gone over that last game with a fine tooth comb. I expect they identified the issues weeks and weeks ago. Hope so anyway ;)

I suppose my confidence comes from my belief that we have a damn good group of coaches who would have gone over that last game with a fine tooth comb. I expect they identified the issues weeks and weeks ago. Hope so anyway ;)

On the basis of available evidence to this point (team selection) I can’t share that hope, but I’ll definitely acknowledge that I seriously hope you’re right!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go Pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to the catacombs - the walk through the ossuaries is extraordinary and will blow your mind. A must see.

Eat lots of bread.

One night - take a bottle of wine to the top of the hill where the Sacre Coeur sits. Jump the rope fence at the front and sit on the grass. Watch the the street performers then watch the sunset over Paris. It's special. Did I say eat bread?!!! Maybe combine the last two activities!

It's such a great city and is not the slightest bit overrated. Love it!

Edit: I third the Versailles recommendations. The gardens alone are worth the trip there.

Last edited:
Yeah I get it some people have been to Paris like 90% of us have.

Can we get the Fcuk back on track now?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My bad.

I'm on parental leave, sitting at a beach cafe with a coffee while my son sleeps in the pram. I'm reminiscing while I watch the world float by, on a rare relaxing afternoon.

I'm getting carried away with the ease of life right now.

Nice work on the fcuk reference by the way.

Real concerns if Keeffe rolls forward (which is likely) because it’s possible we get sucked into him being a decoy drawing Roughead away. It would then leave Finlayson or Himmelberg with the exploitable matchup. I think they pulled the wrong rein and we’ll see a late change.

Keeffe done nothing as a Forward at Collingwood

I am hoping to go to France next year - will be my first international trip ever and am hoping to travel Europe for 6 weeks. Would people recommend a Contiki tour for part of that or entirely solo?

Light on v Himmelberg, Finlayson, Cameron and Keeffe. It’s fine if we send Howe or Maynard to Keeffe, but if we fall for the same two card trick as last time, when Roughead went to Simpson, it could be a similar shemozzle.
Gotta remember that Keeffe isn’t even VFL standard as a forward though. Interesting times.

I am hoping to go to France next year - will be my first international trip ever and am hoping to travel Europe for 6 weeks. Would people recommend a Contiki tour for part of that or entirely solo?

6 weeks isn't a lot of time to do both in my opinion. Maybe 2 weeks max to power through some top sites, not including your must sees. Do those yourself at your own pace.

If you just want to party and seeing the places you're visiting isn't a priority, then Contiki is fine. If you want to really see the places you're visiting, I'd recommend using a different operator.

PM me if you want more info. I'm a bit of a Europe expert and have travelled it in a lot of different ways.

Last edited:
I've never been. I plan on going to France in the next few years, might avoid Paris though.
Paris is amazing. You’d be foolish to avoid it.

Shame about the inhabitants though.
WTF?
I have found the Parisians, in my 2 and a half weeks in Paris, to be helpful, friendly and have not had a problem. Particularly if you speak French. I took private French lessons 30 years ago for 2 years and in the 4 weeks I have been in France, I have only spoken English about 5 times.

Speaking French shows respect and the Parisians return that respect in spades . I have found them to be lovely. It was funny the other night , a waitress was waxing lyrical about her love for koala bears. Usually they talk about their fear of all the dangerous animals we have. And like to remind you of the moron who took a lump of coal into Parliament.

My advice is before coming to France, learn some French. It will make your trip 100 times better. How would a French person go speaking French at someone in Collins St? Not very well I imagine. Perhaps when they get home to France, they may say 'Shame about the inhabitants'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back