Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My comments and the reactions indicate that people have differing views on what good conditioning looks like in early December. Whether it’s right or wrong it seems our view is just stricter than others...
I think being unable to train due to injuries all year is always going to lead someone being out of shape come December.

I think being unable to train due to injuries all year is always going to lead someone being out of shape come December.

It’s a factor although Broomhead isn’t in the same shape and neither is Scharenberg. Harking back to an earlier post of mine his body shape was different, upon return from back surgery in 2016, to what it is today.

How do you think his current conditioning compares to previous years? Do you think he’d be tracking well with his skinfolds? If you think he’s fine on those fronts then who am I to convince you there’s an issue. I can only confirm that he looks to be behind in his conditioning, IMO.

Last edited:
It’s a factor although Broomhead isn’t in the same shape and neither is Scharenberg. Harking back to an earlier post of mine his body shape was different, upon return from back surgery in 2016, to what it is today.

How do you think his current conditioning compares to previous years? Do you think he’d be tracking well with his skinfolds? If you do then who am I to convince you there’s an issue. I can only confirm that he looks to be behind in his conditioning, IMO.
Do you think his back injury and subsequesnt core strength requirements may have had a hand in altering his body shape?

(I have no idea, just throwing it out there).

Do you think his back injury and subsequesnt core strength requirements may have had a hand in altering his body shape?

(I have no idea, just throwing it out there).

Like you I’d only be speculating, but it might well be a factor just as it might have been a factor in his hamstring issues. It’s probably more a Big Charlie question if he/ she is still around.

The only query I’d have is whether we’d see the impact of that at the beginning or end of pre-season loading? Because to me Elliott looks like a bloke that’s spent the best part of three months playing Fortnite rather than priming himself for a career defining pre-season.

This is where you have to hope the club can keep him sound and are on top of things. In a months time it won’t be an issue, but right now I’m edgy because a full pre-season means more to him than anyone on our list, IMO.

3172fcc2880d485841214e7f9213085f

Got some photos? Elliott looked in decent nick from what i've seen.

Agreed all the footage I've seen he has a low body fat %, whether that meas his cardio conditioning is good is another matter.

Last edited:
Yep, very hot and not many people turned up to watch what was a fascinating and gruelling training session from the boys. While not intense it was relentless on their bodies and at no stage did it let up for over 2 1/2 hours of training. Plenty of match sims and one on one training drills that saw evenly matched players on each other. After each short match sim players darted up the other end and play went on. Even after every drill players went for running in bursts. Injured players included Treloar, De Goey, Aish, Wills, Broomhead, Dunn and Goldsack while Cox was absent. The rest just went for it for 2 1/2 solid hours of training. Quaynor and Atu just fitted in like a glove as though they've been doing it for years and the two Irish boys played on each other and partook in every drill in the heat right through to the end.

Yep, very hot and not many people turned up to watch what was a fascinating and gruelling training session from the boys. While not intense it was relentless on their bodies and at no stage did it let up for over 2 1/2 hours of training. Plenty of match sims and one on one training drills that saw evenly matched players on each other. After each short match sim players darted up the other end and play went on. Even after every drill players went for running in bursts. Injured players included Treloar, De Goey, Aish, Wills, Broomhead, Dunn and Goldsack while Cox was absent. The rest just went for it for 2 1/2 solid hours of training. Quaynor and Atu just fitted in like a glove as though they've been doing it for years and the two Irish boys played on each other and partook in every drill in the heat right through to the end.

I was pretty late to arrive today.
1st-4th year players trained for at least 45mins longer than the veterans. It was pretty debilitating for the players in that heat.
Interesting to see Mihocek and Roughead each completing the full session though.

Atu and Quaynor pulled off about the time of the 'veterans'. IQ appeared to have family present to watch.
Will Kelly is expected to train before Christmas. He had been playing for the final 5-6 weeks of the TAC season with a broken foot. I suspect he'll be eased in next year across the season in any case as a young KPP.
Club pretty happy to have secured 2 x first round draftees in their list opinion. Kelly's rank on our draft list was inside 20 I believe.

I didn't notice Tohill so much today. Keane's a good size, as some of us have noted before. I think he looks pretty natural with his kicking too, unlike Cox, where his kicking seems so foreign still (and will remain so).

Murphy and Appleby were both pushing hard. They've been pitted against each other quite a bit this pre-season. Appleby the stronger of the two and probably on balance a little fitter at present, although the heat is probably not that suitable for someone of Murphy's complexion. Both amongst the fittest of the younger crew.

Dunn's recovery has plateaued a bit, which is typical of ACL's. Was probably working a bit harder 4 weeks ago than currently. He'll lift intensity in the new year. Perhaps Roughead's present will prove more valuable in the early season than many of us thought. He's certainly putting the work in and attacking things with vigour given a fresh start.

Expect more signings before Christmas as we stretch out our contract expiry dates to avoid the rush of contracts hitting a single year like 2018 (29). I note that Hawthorn face 29 players out of contract for 2019 at present.

The cafe was welcome relief afterward. Air conditioning and some pretty healthy meals on offer.

Elliot looks super fit also looks to be doing full training.

IQ has been competing 1 on 1 with the senior players and doing extremely well from what I have been told.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like you I’d only be speculating, but it might well be a factor just as it might have been a factor in his hamstring issues. It’s probably more a Big Charlie question if he/ she is still around.

The only query I’d have is whether we’d see the impact of that at the beginning or end of pre-season loading? Because to me Elliott looks like a bloke that’s spent the best part of three months playing Fortnite rather than priming himself for a career defining pre-season.

This is where you have to hope the club can keep him sound and are on top of things. In a months time it won’t be an issue, but right now I’m edgy because a full pre-season means more to him than anyone on our list, IMO.
Interested to know what you are basing your suggestion that Elliott is not as fit as he should be on?

Interested to know what you are basing your suggestion that Elliott is not as fit as he should be on?

The footage the club posted on Instagram on Monday. He looked a lot thicker through the glutes and abdomen which is why I posted a link to a comparison of his 2016 start to pre-season conditioning.

On the basis of the insta post from Jen Bryza was about right that he’d sit around 10%. I’m more likely to trust footage than pics, it’s around where JDG would sit and not where I’d like him to sit (8%), but his conditioning is nowhere near where I had him pegged based on the footage. Being proven wrong is great news from my perspective because it increases the likelihood he gets through pre-season which in turn increases his chances of playing 15+ games in 2019.

Although I’m confused by where the unfit suggestion came from?

Does this make you feel a bit better Scodog10

I’m glad at least one person got my angle :thumbsu:

1st-4th year players trained for at least 45mins longer than the veterans. It was pretty debilitating for the players in that heat.
Interesting to see Mihocek and Roughead each completing the full session though.

Atu and Quaynor pulled off about the time of the 'veterans'. IQ appeared to have family present to watch.
Will Kelly is expected to train before Christmas. He had been playing for the final 5-6 weeks of the TAC season with a broken foot. I suspect he'll be eased in next year across the season in any case as a young KPP.
Club pretty happy to have secured 2 x first round draftees in their list opinion. Kelly's rank on our draft list was inside 20 I believe.

I didn't notice Tohill so much today. Keane's a good size, as some of us have noted before. I think he looks pretty natural with his kicking too, unlike Cox, where his kicking seems so foreign still (and will remain so).

Murphy and Appleby were both pushing hard. They've been pitted against each other quite a bit this pre-season. Appleby the stronger of the two and probably on balance a little fitter at present, although the heat is probably not that suitable for someone of Murphy's complexion. Both amongst the fittest of the younger crew.

Dunn's recovery has plateaued a bit, which is typical of ACL's. Was probably working a bit harder 4 weeks ago than currently. He'll lift intensity in the new year. Perhaps Roughead's present will prove more valuable in the early season than many of us thought. He's certainly putting the work in and attacking things with vigour given a fresh start.

Expect more signings before Christmas as we stretch out our contract expiry dates to avoid the rush of contracts hitting a single year like 2018 (29). I note that Hawthorn face 29 players out of contract for 2019 at present.

The cafe was welcome relief afterward. Air conditioning and some pretty healthy meals on offer.
Terrific report.
I’m liking so far what we’re hearing

The footage the club posted on Instagram on Monday. He looked a lot thicker through the glutes and abdomen which is why I posted a link to a comparison of his 2016 start to pre-season conditioning.

On the basis of the insta post from Jen Bryza was about right that he’d sit around 10%. I’m more likely to trust footage than pics, it’s around where JDG would sit and not where I’d like him to sit (8%), but his conditioning is nowhere near where I had him pegged based on the footage. Being proven wrong is great news from my perspective because it increases the likelihood he gets through pre-season which in turn increases his chances of playing 15+ games in 2019.

Although I’m confused by where the unfit suggestion came from?

I’m glad at least one person got my angle :thumbsu:
JDG will never, ever be 8% bodyfat.

2020 is our crunch year for contract expiries. Do you know who is in line for an early extension? I know we've started early talks with WHE, Crisp and Phillips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back