Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidebottom is a very good runner who at 28 should be at his peak in terms of endurance.
No doubt.
But he has been virtually unchallenged in a decade. Only one man has bested him in recent times.
A decade at the pointy end of any contest just seems unnatural given the nature of our sport.
I found it interesting to see that ex-Pie Josh Smith has won the last two 2km time trials at his new club West Coast, and even equalled the all-time club record for the race. I can't remember exactly how he fared at Collingwood in this event; I'd imagine he would have been up with the leaders but still behind Phillips and Sidebottom. So perhaps it's just a case of Sidebottom (and Phillips) being very good at what they do!

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/video/2019-01-09/smith-claims-2nd-time-trial-crown

I found it interesting to see that ex-Pie Josh Smith has won the last two 2km time trials at his new club West Coast, and even equalled the all-time club record for the race. I can't remember exactly how he fared at Collingwood in this event; I'd imagine he would have been up with the leaders but still behind Phillips and Sidebottom. So perhaps it's just a case of Sidebottom (and Phillips) being very good at what they do!

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/video/2019-01-09/smith-claims-2nd-time-trial-crown

Not surprised by that, given he was always up there with Phillips.

End of 2017, for the 2018 pre season Josh came second behind Phillips. In end of 2016, he came 3rd behind Steele.

Seems Josh finished the time trial is under 6 minutes. That's faster than Phillips now.

Last edited:

As I recall Smith was finishing about 3rd to our 2 top runners.
So Smith doing so well says how good our top runners are.

There are a few in the league who are so strong as runners that they just stand out in that field.
Phillips and Sidebottom are our two super elite runners.

Then there’s Blicavs who was junior running Australia team level or thereabouts.

Is there any other sport in the world where fans invest in something as irrelevant as a 2km TT is to Aussie Rules? I’d have thought Grundy finishing last in a time park footballers could challenge would be an indication of the care factor given he’s the best running ruckman in the game, IMO. As long as we aren’t seeing Kirbyesque times who cares!

Edit: on a side note it’s great to have training reports again! There was a 2-3 year period there where we got nothing. Even though I’m getting none of what I want from them they are absolutely better than nothing.

Last edited:
I meant why isn’t he further back?
Where’s the young guns stepping up?
Steele would be at his peak now for 2 kms. The young guns would need to be gun runners al la Phillips to get past him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a few in the league who are so strong as runners that they just stand out in that field.

Then there’s Blicavs who was junior running Australia team level or thereabouts.
I reckon Smith may have split Phillips and Sidey in a time trial last year. Even if he didn’t he is nearly at the same level

I tried to find the time trial data for Smith from my reports over on Nick's from a few years back.

In Dec 2015 the time trial results were:
1. Phillips 6:05 - this year 6:07
2. Sidebottom 6:07 - this year 6:16
3. Greenwood 6:18
4. Smith 6:22
From memory this was Smith's rookie year.

It was also Brayden Sier's first time trial since being recruited.

Sier: 7:24 - this year 6:30 (approximated time)
Grundy: 7:19 - this year 7:18

I tried to find the time trial data for Smith from my reports over on Nick's from a few years back.

Apples I just had a look at your post re times last years time trials
Phillips 6:08, 6:06 , 6:00
Smith 6:09, 6:11, 6:07
Sidey 6:23, 6:16

Even if those times were off Sideys best he is probably behind Smith a little. Doesn’t mean much for footy of course but Smith can run

Apart from Blicavs I think Scully is the other real gun runner in this area from AFL ranks.

With Grundy I think you will find he has no aerobic running ability compared to most, can’t run at a good clip over time, but he can keep chugging along all day at a pace that most rucks can’t match. Most other players would toast him however.

Thanks Apples.

A few seconds here or there can be tempo related etc but look at Sier he is trending every which way right!

Love the Bear!

Is there any other sport in the world where fans invest in something as irrelevant as a 2km TT is to Aussie Rules? I’d have thought Grundy finishing last in a time park footballers could challenge would be an indication of the care factor given he’s the best running ruckman in the game, IMO. As long as we aren’t seeing Kirbyesque times who cares!

Edit: on a side note it’s great to have training reports again! There was a 2-3 year period there where we got nothing. Even though I’m getting none of what I want from them they are absolutely better than nothing.

What are you looking for in the reports?

The quantity of reports this year has been unbelievable!

Out of interest what would you be interested in getting from the reports? Even if its probably something too complicated for the average punter watching from the side of the glasshouse to look out for, it couldn't hurt to ask. I'm sure no one would be offended

If there’s something specific you are looking for from the reports I’m sure Apples or Jen2310 will be happy to provide/keep a lookout for you if you ask them.

Not surprised by that, given he was always up there with Phillips.

End of 2017, for the 2018 pre season Josh came second behind Phillips. In end of 2016, he came 3rd behind Steele.

Seems Josh finished the time trial is under 6 minutes. That's faster than Phillips now.

Apples I just had a look at your post re times last years time trials
Phillips 6:08, 6:06 , 6:00
Smith 6:09, 6:11, 6:07
Sidey 6:23, 6:16

Even if those times were off Sideys best he is probably behind Smith a little. Doesn’t mean much for footy of course but Smith can run

Apart from Blicavs I think Scully is the other real gun runner in this area from AFL ranks.

With Grundy I think you will find he has no aerobic running ability compared to most, can’t run at a good clip over time, but he can keep chugging along all day at a pace that most rucks can’t match. Most other players would toast him however.
As the post by Jen points out, Josh Smith's latest time was under 6 minutes (it should be 5 minutes 56 seconds as he apparently equalled the West Coast club record set by Damien Cavka a few years ago), so it seems he has continued to improve in this area. Now he just needs to show he can star on the football field!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back