Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Phillips and Thomas have currency Vfl or not
Today maybe, but in three years, that’s crystal ball stuff.
Anyway just enjoying what’s going on now.

Lee Walker's knee issues were ligament tears too. he had 3 reconstructions like Schaz I believe.

No his ligaments were loose, his cartilages were fine
Yes he had several ACL tears; as has been mentioned he had two reconstructions before coming to us.

Often in the process of rupturing your ACL you can also tear other ligaments and/or the meniscus, which slows recovery considerably and leads to poorer outcomes in the medium and long term. The reason Tyson Goldsack was able to get back so quickly last year, other than a heap of dedication and determination, was that his ACL was torn in isolation.

Just going off the probabilities, Walker likely suffered significant meniscal damage somewhere along the line... he’s probably a candidate for a knee replacement earlier in life than average.

Players like Walker, Schaz, Schwarz, Johnstone, Woodward... you’ve got to feel for them as it not only ruins their AFL dreams and aspirations, it impacts their quality of life permanently in many cases.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes he had several ACL tears; as has been mentioned he had two reconstructions before coming to us.

Often in the process of rupturing your ACL you can also tear other ligaments and/or the meniscus, which slows recovery considerably and leads to poorer outcomes in the medium and long term. The reason Tyson Goldsack was able to get back so quickly last year, other than a heap of dedication and determination, was that his ACL was torn in isolation.

Just going off the probabilities, Walker likely suffered significant meniscal damage somewhere along the line... he’s probably a candidate for a knee replacement earlier in life than average.

Players like Walker, Schaz, Schwarz, Johnstone, Woodward... you’ve got to feel for them as it not only ruins their AFL dreams and aspirations, it impacts their quality of life permanently in many cases.

Still a lot better than getting a lot of concussions.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers

25 years on from 2 ACLs and its the cartilage damage that gives me grief on a daily basis. Sleeping through the night is impossible due to a the constant ache. I'm probably not far off a replacement.

I would've thought it's not common for someone to rupture an ACL and not damage the joint. Do 2 like Shaz and it'd a miracle if he doesn't have issues down the track.

Last edited:

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
25 years on from 2 ACLs and its the cartilage damage that gives me grief on a daily basis. Sleeping through the night is impossible due to a the constant ache. I'm probably not far off a replacement.

I would've thought it's not common for someone to rupture an ACL and not damage the joint. Do 2 like Shaz and it'd a miracle if he doesn't have issues down the track.

Feel your pain
Did mine 35 years ago
I've had doctors young and Bartlett have a good go

Ripped ACL

Jammed the cartilage in the joint and played a lot more than I should have
Atrophy of the leg

Advised and Used a lot of letric soda to bring down the swelling quick
Not great calcified the joint

Played 226 more games

Recommend penny wort and acupuncture to stimulate
Penny wort will relieve the pain
Good luck

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Feel your pain
Did mine 35 years ago
I've had doctors young and Bartlett have a good go

Ripped ACL

Jammed the cartilage in the joint and played a lot more than I should have
Atrophy of the leg

Advised and Used a lot of letric soda to bring down the swelling quick
Not great calcified the joint

Played 226 more games

Recommend penny wort and acupuncture to stimulate
Penny wort will relieve the pain
Good luck

Julian Feller did the last cleanout and I wish I went to him 25 years ago.

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

Yeah I hear you
Youngs suggestion was build up my quads and calfs

Got operated on same day as larry sengstock
Think his went as well as mine

Could have been worse my mate did his and it looks like a shark bit him

Penny wort helps the arthritis

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Training Report: Thursday July 18, 2019
The headline from today’s training session is:
Pendles Completes Full Session

Not Training:
Moore, Langdon, Beams, Wells

Arrived just on 10am and it was mighty good to be at training again. I sat with Jen throughout the session and we kept tabs on Pendles, Adams and Howe.

Jen called Adams and Howe good-to-go early in the session. I thought they looked as if they were jumping out of their skins. They both play for mine.

Pendlebury had his fingers strapped but didn’t appear to be wearing a guard. He took part in full training, including the match simulations.
jen remarked that if there was any doubt about him, he wouldn't have been training, especially in the match sims.

After various warm up drills, the players broke into two main groupings.
One group did high-intensity handball drills and the other, match sim. Pendles was in the latter group and didn’t appear to be hampered when gathering the ball, or in marking situations.

After about an hour, the players took part in full match simulation. Pendles walked from the field at this stage discussing his hand with a trainer. We thought that may have been it really, but soon he was interchanging with Sidey and was back in the thick of it.

At one stage he donned a yellow training vest when playing on the wing, but he later removed this.

There were two 100m sprints between the match sims. In sprint one, Howe and Adams led the pack. In sprint two, Stevo and Quaynor battled it out for a dead heat.

About this time, I remarked to Jen that this was as sharp a training session as I’ve seen for a long time. The boys really did look ‘up’.

The State of the List
It’s a very healthy list moving into the important run home.
Players on the injury list, all appear to be ready or close-to-ready, to resume.

Murphy: did full training and looks good to go. Nice to see him moving well again.
Varcoe: Did full work-out with his fingers strapped. Looked good.
Tohill: Again, trained well.
Ben Reid: Did most of the drills, but didn’t do the match sims and instead did supervised running on the outer side.
Appleby: moved well and has gained considerable bulk. Looks in great condition. Nice insurance.
Goldsack: did the full session. I doubt we will need him, but he can be called upon.
Wilson: trained well. Looks a very likely type. Good size and a good mover.

Eddie moved along the boundary towards the end of the session and was asked by (I think), Rob Waters, if Pendles would play.
Eddie said, “We’ll see how he goes, but he’s looking pretty good isn’t he?”

A very impressive session all up.
Happy to answer any questions.

Aug 27, 2017
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Collingwood

Not Training:

Arrived just on 10am and it was mighty good to be at training again. I sat with Jen throughout the session and we kept tabs on Pendles, Adams and Howe.

Jen called Adams and Howe good-to-go early in the session. I thought they looked as if they were jumping out of their skins. They both play for mine.

Pendlebury had his fingers strapped but didn’t appear to be wearing a guard. He took part in full training, including the match simulations.
jen remarked that if there was any doubt about him, he wouldn't have been training, especially in the match sims.

One group did high-intensity handball drills and the other, match sim. Pendles was in the latter group and didn’t appear to be hampered when gathering the ball, or in marking situations.

After about an hour, the players took part in full match simulation. Pendles walked from the field at this stage discussing his hand with a trainer. We thought that may have been it really, but soon he was interchanging with Sidey and was back in the thick of it.

At one stage he donned a yellow training vest when playing on the wing, but he later removed this.

There were two 100m sprints between the match sims. In sprint one, Howe and Adams led the pack. In sprint two, Stevo and Quaynor battled it out for a dead heat.

About this time, I remarked to Jen that this was as sharp a training session as I’ve seen for a long time. The boys really did look ‘up’.

The State of the List
Players on the injury list, all appear to be ready or close-to-ready, to resume.

Murphy: did full training and looks good to go. Nice to see him moving well again.
Ben Reid: Did most of the drills, but didn’t do the match sims and instead did supervised running on the outer side.
Appleby: moved well and has gained considerable bulk. Looks in great condition. Nice insurance.
Goldsack: did the full session. I doubt we will need him, but he can be called upon.

Eddie moved along the boundary towards the end of the session and was asked by (I think), Rob Waters, if Pendles would play.

Great report Apples, appreciate the detail.

Sounds like things are on the up injury-wise. I assume no Moore, but did Langdon train, even in a restricted fashion, at all? Also, there was a slight doubt about Aish and his shoulder; did Aishy train, and, if so, how did he look?

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

Not Training:

The State of the List

Thanks Apples. I read that Greenwood apparently also did not train.

PIEWITHSAUCE

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good to see no issues with Jordy - I thought he looked a bit proppy at the end of the game last weekend (aside from being fatigued)

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Thanks Apples. I read that Greenwood apparently also did not train.
I've just had a look at my notes. Forgot my phone today so they are written notes. I wrote down the names as the players entered the track. Greenwood is on the list. He may have gone off early though.

frantelle

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood

Not Training:

The State of the List

Legend. Thanks

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

Not Training:

The State of the List

Only one question. Where’s the but? We’re far to late in the year for things to be sounding this positive :think:

On a serious note I appreciate the update!

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Only one question. Where’s the but? We’re far to late in the year for things to be sounding this positive :think:

On a serious note I appreciate the update!

Positive? Season-long unavailabilities to Dunn, Wells, Beams, Stephenson (until finals), Langdon possibly, and injuries still to Moore and Reid.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Positive? Season-long unavailabilities to Dunn, Wells, Beams, Stephenson (until finals), Langdon possibly, and injuries still to Moore and Reid.

Have you been living under a rock? This is as good as it gets for Collingwood!

It’s also countered by Pendles availability, Howe and Adams returning to the senior lineup, Murphy and Varcoe returning at VFL level and Adams re-signing. First world football problems if you’re looking at it negatively!

FWIW Wells ramped things up today according to Bucks’ presser and will play again without a setback.

I've just had a look at my notes. Forgot my phone today so they are written notes. I wrote down the names as the players entered the track. Greenwood is on the list. He may have gone off early though.
I must have missed Greenwood out there. But saw him as I was leaving.Looks to be coming back from maybe scans? Was walking down the road near aami park side.

Rob Waters, not content with asking Pendles that same question 6 times in the one interview moves on to asking Eddie instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back