Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that. Without wanting to be too picky on the times given Sidey should have been about 75m behind Phillips. Sounds like Lynch probably burnt himself trying to stay with the 1st 2 and componded in the end. Maybe with a better run trial he is more like 3rd with Sidey based on 2018 results
For a man who's 200cm and 99kgs it's a fair effort given the next best ruckman was almost 30 secs behind.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Amazingly good is a bit of a stretch. He's always been amazingly good when he plays on and snaps, but his drop punts have always looked a bit shaky to me.

They became worse last year because I think he butchered his technique in search of more distance. For outside 50 kicks he shifted the ball to the right in a hook kick motion. This ball drop crept into his closer range shots where he wasn't trying to hook around it.

None of which alters that he had bloody good set shot conversion until this year when the yips crept in.

None of which alters that he had bloody good set shot conversion until this year when the yips crept in.
Did he on the non-snaps? (genuine question). I'm just going on the vibe and not from any stats, but I've never felt confident on his non-snaps. When I see him play on I've always relaxed.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
great thanks, fine reports

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks for the fantastic reports you two.

One query. Albert you have Sier finishing mid field and Apples you have no mention of him

One of the things that gave me optimism for Sier at the start of 2019 was the major improvement he made in his 2k TT from prev seasons. Also had a look at Apples reports from that time and in photos Sier looked in great nick at the start of last pre season. Clearly he slipped afte that. Was wondering how you saw him today or in Apples case if you saw him.

Cheers
I thought Sier looked quite lean and fit. By contrast Wills, who he was doing some run throughs with, looked quite a bit heavier despite being of similar height (191cm). Both were listed at 88kg on the Player list, but I'd have thought Wills was 3kg heavier as I looked at them side by side today, albeit hair volume may have counted for some of that! Sier had Wills measure on the run throughs and that was 2 hours into proceedings.

To your observations about Max Lynch, take Apple's post as accurate for times and placings (although I am sure I saw Sier participating!). Lynch was a long way off Sidebottom's 2k placing and that was the case over the last couple of laps, despite Lynch being third early. I wouldn't talk about them in the same breath if I was previewing the next 2k and providing a form guide on the race, based upon what I witnessed today.

Brigi2127

Debutant
Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep, Lynchy was 3rd or 4th after a few laps but faded a bit.
I just double checked the listings and times. I filmed it, so I'm pretty sure they are correct.
Can you send the video you took through, would love to watch it.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Did he on the non-snaps? (genuine question). I'm just going on the vibe and not from any stats, but I've never felt confident on his non-snaps. When I see him play on I've always relaxed.

Up until this year I'd have said so. Not sure what changed but he started playing on a lot more this year from angles that didn't require it IMHO because his set shot confidence was shot. While I'm not sure where you can get his actual set shot accuracy comparisons year-2-year, it is reflected in his general goal accuracy. 2017 - 58.3%; 2018 - 56.5%; 2019 - 43.6%. That's a massive drop.

Thanks for the fantastic reports you two.

One query. Albert you have Sier finishing mid field and Apples you have no mention of him

One of the things that gave me optimism for Sier at the start of 2019 was the major improvement he made in his 2k TT from prev seasons. Also had a look at Apples reports from that time and in photos Sier looked in great nick at the start of last pre season. Clearly he slipped afte that. Was wondering how you saw him today or in Apples case if you saw him.

Cheers
Jen has Sier placed 11th in place of Crisp who she said did not participate in the time trial.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Training Report Monday December 2nd 2019
Weather: Cold and windy 11 degrees.
Not Training:
Beams (ill)
Langdon
Stephenson
WHE

It was the first training session for the full list and I suppose the players would prefer a cold day for the time trial, but I can't remember such a cold December day. As we crossed the MCG bridge, the wind almost took us with it.
At 9am the mowers were still at work and there was no sign of club activity.
Into the Glasshouse for a coffee (tepid and not very good) and a long wait. The players began to arrive at 10am and first onto the track was new recruit Tray Ruscoe who was happy to come across and talk to the fans. Sees himself as a utility type. Seems like a very likeable young fellow.

Trent Bianco was out soon after and responded to Lorraine's call to come across. He was happy to chat to the fans and Jen reminded him that we were there to watch his 'debut' a year ago.

Jay Rantall arrived and spent time talking to Bucks on the sidelines. He didn't respond to calls from the fans.

The players began with a warm up and then did stretches before coming over to get organised for the 2km time trial.

Training but not running time trial:
Maynard, C. Brown, Atu B, Quaynor, Mayne, Keane, Adams, Appleby, Broomhead, Treloar, Sier, Greenwood, Noble and Dunn.

I suggested to Jen, who hobbled to training today, that Tom Phillips would lose his crown in the time trial to new boy Rantall, and that's exactly what happened. Rantall and Phillips took off to lead from the river end. At 500 metres it was Rantall by a metre from Phillips and that's the way it stayed until the last lap. On the AAMI wing, Rantall put the foot down and looked to be coasting away. He got to a handy 10 metre lead as they neared the northern goals, but Phillips applied the pressure. At the turn Rantall held his ground in the last 100 metre sprint and won by 12-15 metres.

Finishing order and times:
1. Jay Rantall 6:04

2. Tom Phillips 6:06
3. Sidebottom 6:21
4. Kelly 6:26
5. Murphy 6:29
6. Wilson 6:34
7. Madgen 6:35
8. Howe 6:36
9. Lynch 6:36
10. Tohill 6:37

11. Crisp 6:38
12. Wills 6:44
13. Roughead 6:45
14. Trent Bianco 6:47
15. Sharenberg 6:48
16. Elliott 6:50
17. Mihocek 6:51
18. DeGoey 6:51:05
19. Tyler Brown 6:52
20. Pendlebury 6:53
21. Thomas 6:54
22. Tray Ruscoe 6:59

23. Varcoe 7:03
24. Darcy Cameron 7:04
25. Moore 7:12
26. Cox 7:18
27. Grundy 8:16 (unconfirmed)

After the warm down, the players broke into four drill groups. Two of these groups involved tackling. The groups closest to us was run by Matty Boyd and involved players taking possession and trying to evade tacklers. Emphasis on tackling with shoulders/arms not hands.
Another drill involved a player with the ball running straight at a tackler who held two tennis balls in his hands so as to ensure use of arms/body in the tackle and not the hands. I'd never seen this drill before.
A lot of running today and some sprint work as well.

A few observations:
Cameron continues to impress with his foot skills
Greenwood was on the track. Did straight line running. No turning/evasion
To my eyes, Broomhead still appears to be favouring the injured leg
Kelly appears to be ready for a good full preseason

I left at 11:30 just as rain began falling. Happy to answer any questions.

Weird that a Broomhead would be favouring the leg, since he played most of last year and slowly got better. Wonder if he’s had a setback.

Thanks for the report Apples.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Weird that a Broomhead would be favouring the leg, since he played most of last year and slowly got better. Wonder if he’s had a setback.

Thanks for the report Apples.

Tim had the rod in his broken leg removed...….that might explain it a little.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jen has Sier placed 11th in place of Crisp who she said did not participate in the time trial.
You’d think the two of Sier and Crisp are easily discernible?

EB99A409-DA24-4745-B04F-6C86F88EE9BD.jpeg V. 8CC3E8D8-AAA8-4C78-B50B-4F1A2CC4E6C2.jpeg

Originally had viewed Murphy as a Tom Lynch (Adelaide) forward type given his height and tank
Thinks Tom Wilson showed a bit in his initial VFL outings. Good kick and quite a good mark, taking it at the peak. Quite a bit to work with
Obviously an astute judge. ;) :p

Yeah, yeah, I concede it says "originally".

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Slow cooked ragu (the sauce) is key to a good spag bol, using the best quality ingredients. Tomatoes out of a tin are OK, but for this they are best from Italy.

When the gelati/gelato/ice cream war broke out yesterday, by a great coincidence (seriously) I was in Smith Street, Collingwood, having one (of those) from this place. The best! Beats the competition hands down.
Whoa baby....panettone con gelato!!! THE BEST!!! I make it every year for Xmas. I’m going to go down there and try one out.

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I'm trying to figure out a way to post the final 1000 metres. Regarding Crisp/Sier, I initially thought Sier ran the time trial, but after watching the vision many times, I'll be blowed if I can find him.
Can anybody suggest a way to post vids to this board? I often try, but so far no luck.

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back