Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive already taken him under my wing

You evil basketball-playing sinner.

What's the world come to. I can't believe I now live in a world where playing a game of basketball is reckless, scandalous, undisciplined, behaviour. Yes I know there's some context attached - but seriously.

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
For the record, Phillips was 2 seconds ahead of his time of 6:08 last year.

Here are some comparisons:
Tom Phillips 6:06 (2019) 6:08 (2018) 6:04 (2017)
Max Lynch 6:36 6:30
Nathan Murphy 6:29 6:33 6:32
Brody Mihocek 6:51 6:42
Brayden Sier 6:38 6:45
Anton Tohill 6:37 6:47
Jeremy Howe 6:36 6:48
Trent Bianco 6:47 6:48
Travis Varcoe 7:03 6:49 6:59
Chris Mayne 6:50 6:51
Jack Madgen 6:52 6:36
Tyler Brown 6:56 7:16

And Brodie Grundy....

CleverSandyChital-max-1mb.gif

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Love the improvement from Bear. However, Tyler Brown makes me very very very happy.

I forced a bot to watch 1000 hours of Collingwood training and then asked it to write its own script.

Scene: Melbourne winter. Robbie Gray clouds. Warm day. 2 degrees.

The players run out. Adam Treloar, Tayla Adam, Scott Embrey. Cheers are issued. Jen cheers loudest. Apples is an apple.

Nathan Buckley, the team’s owner, calls the players in. He talks the talk all owners talk about footballs. Red ones. Yellow ones. Pink ones. Jayden Stevenson shakes his head. He bets they don’t have pink ones.

Buckley says the team needs to work on clearances. The players are asked to sell the pink footballs. There’s a bear in there. There’s a chair as well. Harry La Mamba sits on the chair. It’s his favourite thinking spot.

Donavoron tells Darcy More and Jordan De Goey that they are going to Germany. They are excited. Germany means sometimes beer, mostly hamstrings. Ben Reid looks sad. The spending cap means they couldn’t afford his ticket.

Training’s finishing. Everyone goes into the kitchen to eat. Spaghetti bolognese. Mason Cox stays back and kicks balls into sticks. This is his punishment for stealing Jarryd Blair’s height. It’s okay because he isn’t hungry anyway. He is USA and food is Italy.

Robert Harvey has done nothing yet again.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
No, I'd say Apples is correct with those times. He's always diligently noting the clock on TT day.
As noted in my own list, the order beyond Magden wasn't correct.
I placed a bunch of guys in my head as they had come past me a couple of times, but I was about 100m post the start to watch it all.
Wilson must have made up ground, Lynch faded, Howe made up some ground from when they went past me.

As for Rantall's time, yes he was tired and it was cool and blowy today. Not ideal conditions for posting PB's.

Gotta be bloody happy running a 6.05 and finishing first on day (for him) 1 of preseason anyway regardless of PB's.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Amazingly good is a bit of a stretch. He's always been amazingly good when he plays on and snaps, but his drop punts have always looked a bit shaky to me.

They became worse last year because I think he butchered his technique in search of more distance. For outside 50 kicks he shifted the ball to the right in a hook kick motion. This ball drop crept into his closer range shots where he wasn't trying to hook around it.

He started missing a few of those as well as the year progressed.

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
My take-aways from the session were Rantall's professionalism and Sier's obvious hard work over the break.
I was expecting Rantall to take out the time trial, given his previous times over the distance. He appeared to be very, very focused. He entered from the rooms and went straight to the sidelines near the physio station; not to the waiting fans. Bucks then went over and they had a serious looking chat for a few minutes. He looks like a young man on a mission. Can he play?

With Sier's very disappointing 2019, we all hoped he'd turn the corner and put in a good pre-season. His commitment has been seriously questioned by us fans and by those inside the club. It seems he has begun to see the light. I agree with Albert Parker's observation, that he looks more streamlined and lithe. He appears to have worked hard over the break, which is something we were looking for. It's early days, but it's a promising beginning.

The other lasting impression from the two sessions I have watched is Darcy Cameron. He's a big agile type with very nice skills. His kicking skills in particular are impressive.

Last edited:

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Improved by 20 seconds whilst putting on some size over preseason. If he could get below the 6:30 mark, we have a superb athlete on our hands.
Improvement is key for me, he came in pretty much under in everything apart form potential and some good genetic history. He does look a little more ready for the AFL and increased capacity to get through the time trials is pleasing.

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Improvement is key for me, he came in pretty much under in everything apart form potential and some good genetic history. He does look a little more ready for the AFL and increased capacity to get through the time trials is pleasing.
He's still a beanpole but he has good vision and ability to move through traffic. He was always going to be a long term investment. I'd expect him to play a bit this year.

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
What does he do for the club? Sounds like the main guys don't give away much to him.
I'm not sure why you say that. Not sure what your assertion adds to the conversation either.
I also elected not to share everything that he had to say on a public forum.
If you are from Nick's Bulletin Board, as your name suggests you hail from, then I suggest your 'offerings' may be better suited there.

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I'm not sure why you say that. Not sure what your assertion adds to the conversation either.
If you are from Nick's Bulletin Board, as your name suggests you hail from, then I suggest your 'offerings' may be better suited there.
Ouch!

He was training but he didn't do the time trial. Taylor Adams and Treloar have sat-out the time trial for 2 years running. Would players have a choice in this, or would these blokes on special programmes?
Maybe 1 hamstring tear = 1 exemption?

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Did he say anything that you could share without giving too much away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back