Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'd be drafted on potential. He could do the things you dream of your CHF doing. And he was BOG in an U18 Grand Final. But there would have been significant queries about his tank and application. He certainly wouldn't have played as much seniors early in his career. Early days, he just had no tank or second effort whatsoever.
Twas but a different game back then.

I’m not confident that 18yo A Rocca gets drafted let alone goes on to have a role as the starting CHF. His record is about on par with Mihocek’s. You take Mihocek’s workrate away and he’s struggling.
Rocca was a gun

The result itself is poor, but at the very least you could further acknowledge the improvement. Continuous improvement is a tremendous asset in all walks of life and is more about mindset than ability. At that level of the game mindset is more important than ability.
This is so true, when I was 14 three VB nippers got me going.

I pushed through over many years to have some solid 40 can nights.

I think the time trial is a test to see how players have looked after themselves over the off-season.
Grundy comes last every year, but on match days, he runs like a midfielder and runs his opponents ragged. He is an endurance beast; not fast, but he just keeps going and going.

Rocca was a gun

He was for his time. So was Sav. But the game has changed too much. There are plenty of past champions who just wouldn’t get a game nowadays. We could debate which ones but athleticism and running are now so central that talent is just one factor.

For the record, the game was better in the past.

Rocca was a gun

Um no. He was a talisman for our club in the naughties, a brilliant clubman and a fan favourite, but he was not a gun. Compared to his contemporaries in Brown, Hall, Reiwoldt, Lloyd, Pavlich, Tredrea, Fev and Neitz he was a fair way behind. They all had multiple seasons of 60+ goals and multiple AA’s neither of which Rocca achieved.

His brother though was and is possibly the most underrated guy to ever play the game. A tick under 3 goals a game (Buddy is 3.15) over 250 games by today’s standards is elite.

When discussing 'Elite' for draft camp results it is referencing records held by AFL players from all drafts. So elite would be in the top % of recorded times for AFL prospects.

Occassionaly we see some records mentioned who crossover for non AFL sports for comparisons sake.

Yeah, top 5%. The discussion though is that that rating is applied to discrete aspects of individual play, marks, kicks, running speed and distance, leap, yet it's often extrapolated into a broader generalisation. For example, if someone like say McGovern is rated elite as an intercept marking defender, does that therefore make him an elite footballer/sportsperson or does it contribute to an argument that footballers are therefore elite sportspeople.

I personally don't have an issue with the extrapolation as I don't see that it's that different in other sporting fields. Individuals just train in accordance with their discipline.

To each there own as I don't think there's a wrong answer.

Um no. He was a talisman for our club in the naughties, a brilliant clubman and a fan favourite, but he was not a gun. Compared to his contemporaries in Brown, Hall, Reiwoldt, Lloyd, Pavlich, Tredrea, Fev and Neitz he was a fair way behind. They all had multiple seasons of 60+ goals and multiple AA’s neither of which Rocca achieved.

His brother though was and is possibly the most underrated guy to ever play the game. A tick under 3 goals a game (Buddy is 3.15) over 250 games by today’s standards is elite.

Overall, Ant's career wasn't great, but in the second half of 2003, he was just about the most influential player in the league. It had all finally clicked. Came back in 2004 and he was looking a million bucks, but injuries hit and cruelled the next 2 years. Had a couple of good years later on playing full forward. But he never quite became the star that he had the potential to be.

Stats flatter Big Sav. When he was with us, on his day, he was an absolute star and kicked big bags of goals. But when he lost confidence, he was as uncompetitive as Big Coxy on a bad day. Every year, he'd come out like a house on fire with 30 goals in the first 5 rounds and we'd all think it'd finally clicked. Then he'd go goalless for the next month.Overall, he'd end up with good stats, but in an era, where you isolated and targetted your full forward and relied on him to kick a decent percentage of your score, he was just too inconsistent and unreliable.

Last edited:
Yeah, top 5%. The discussion though is that that rating is applied to discrete aspects of individual play, marks, kicks, running speed and distance, leap, yet it's often extrapolated into a broader generalisation. For example, if someone like say McGovern is rated elite as an intercept marking defender, does that therefore make him an elite footballer/sportsperson or does it contribute to an argument that footballers are therefore elite sportspeople.

I personally don't have an issue with the extrapolation as I don't see that it's that different in other sporting fields. Individuals just train in accordance with their discipline.

To each there own as I don't think there's a wrong answer.

Agree that there's no wrong answer, because it all comes down to how how we define and classify things, but I do think it's different in other sports in terms of bandying around terms like elite. Because AFL doesn't have a higher echelon of international competition, we're much more generous in terms of praise. Tom Lynch and Mitch Marsh are both in the best few in the country at playing the most glamorous and difficult role in their sport. Personally, I think they're both at about the same level in their sport, but Lynch is viewed as an elite superstar, whereas Marsh is seen as a useless spud.

WHICH 2020 PROSPECTS ARE TRAINING AT YOUR CLUB?

Adelaide:
Corey Durdin, James Borlase, Luke Edwards, Kane Baldwin
Brisbane: Blake Coleman, Saxon Crozier, Carter Michael
Carlton: Henry Walsh, Noah Gribble, Nikolas Cox
Collingwood: Eddie Ford, Reef McInnes
Essendon: Cody Brand, Josh Treacy, Josh Eyre
Fremantle: Joel Western, Jack Carroll, Brandon Walker, Shannon Neale, Denver Grainer-Barass
Geelong: Tanner Bruhn, Oliver Henry, Nick Stevens
Gold Coast: Alex Davies, Joel Jeffrey, Brodie Lake
Greater Western Sydney: Joshua Green
Hawthorn: Connor Downie, Will Parker, Zach Reid
Melbourne: Ollie Lord, Will Phillips
North Melbourne: Sam Collins, Jackson Callow, Oliver Davis, Patrick Walker, Sam Banks (2021 draft)
Port Adelaide: Henry Smith, Lachlan Jones, Zac Dumesny, Taj Schofield, Riley Thilthorpe
Richmond: Xavier Maher, Elijah Hollands
St Kilda: Jake Bowey, Archie Perkins
Sydney: Braeden Campbell, Errol Gulden
West Coast: Nathan O'Driscoll, Heath Chapman, Blake Morris, Logan McDonald, Zane Trew
Western Bulldogs: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Finlay Macrae, Cody Raak

What do we know about Eddie Ford and why is he training at the club? NGA prospect?

Adelaide:
Fremantle: Joel Western, Jack Carroll, Brandon Walker, Shannon Neale, Denver Grainer-Barass
North Melbourne: Sam Collins, Jackson Callow, Oliver Davis, Patrick Walker, Sam Banks (2021 draft)
Port Adelaide: Henry Smith, Lachlan Jones, Zac Dumesny, Taj Schofield, Riley Thilthorpe
West Coast: Nathan O'Driscoll, Heath Chapman, Blake Morris, Logan McDonald, Zane Trew

What do we know about Eddie Ford and why is he training at the club? NGA prospect?

Be a AIS Kid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree that there's no wrong answer, because it all comes down to how how we define and classify things, but I do think it's different in other sports in terms of bandying around terms like elite. Because AFL doesn't have a higher echelon of international competition, we're much more generous in terms of praise. Tom Lynch and Mitch Marsh are both in the best few in the country at playing the most glamorous and difficult role in their sport. Personally, I think they're both at about the same level in their sport, but Lynch is viewed as an elite superstar, whereas Marsh is seen as a useless spud.

Obviously that all comes down to personal opinions and expectations.

Lynch is an elite goal kicker but I'm not too sure about his superstar status just yet. Might get there in 2020 now that he's injury free and will get a full preseason under his belt but he's closer the end than the start of his career.

Marsh is only just now hitting what should be his prime years and any views on his spudiness (your veiled attempt to subtly introduce a food element and hijack yet another thread hasn't gone unnoticed) probably says more about ridiculous over-expectation some have of developing potential. Seems he should bowl like Lillee and bat like Bradman, anything less and he's relegated to the veggie patch.

Adelaide:

Western Jets kid.
been some write ups on him.
looks a nice type going on the reports.
not sure any club, let alone us, has any hold on him.
others smarter than me would know and likely let us know.

for those into football history and Eddie Jones played for Richmond, must be 80 years ago.

Went back to the country after a four games with the Tigers.
Then later in a country game, tragedy struck or at least began for him.

he died very young, feeling ill in a game after a collision. Went home then to hospital at some stage, tragically never came home Again. Was 28 or thereabouts.

Western Jets kid.
been some write ups on him.
looks a nice type going on the reports.
not sure any club, let alone us, has any hold on him.
others smarter than me would know and likely let us know.

for those into football history and Eddie Jones played for Richmond, must be 80 years ago.

Went back to the country after a four games with the Tigers.
Then later in a country game, tragedy struck or at least began for him.

he died very young, feeling ill in a game after a collision. Went home then to hospital at some stage, tragically never came home Again. Was 28 or thereabouts.

How do you know that? Very specific story! Great insight to a tragic situation.

How do you know that? Very specific story! Great insight to a tragic situation.
The strange things you pick up along the journey.

there was a Collingwood footballer Charlie Ahern.
according to Kill For Collingwood by Richard Stremski, and the best Collingwood history book, the player got some sort of injury (arm on memory) then got some sort of poisoning and died about 18 months later. Was about 25 at his passing.

he is also our least experienced Premiership player having played in 1929 for only 2 games. Then played in a surprise selection for the GF and played his last game as a premiership player. Total the 2 earlier games, plus the 3rd a flag!

injury came from that game, as it were, died for Collingwood.

tragic tale.

medicine not being what it is today, numerous people surely died young, just because medicine wasn’t as capable as today.

100% and oh my god that kicking motion.
Has there ever been a purer striker of the ball by foot? Genuinely wasn't a part of the ground he could lead out to starting from the full forward line for which he didn't have the journey covered comfortably.

Last edited:
100% and oh my god that kicking motion.
Has there ever been a purer striker of the ball by foot? Genuinely wasn't a part of the ground he could lead to out starting from the full forward line for which he didn't have the journey covered comfortably.
Bernie Quinlan for kicking was pure graceful as well. Almost poetic in look.

The strange things you pick up along the journey.

there was a Collingwood footballer Charlie Ahern.
according to Kill For Collingwood by Richard Stremski, and the best Collingwood history book, the player got some sort of injury (arm on memory) then got some sort of poisoning and died about 18 months later. Was about 25 at his passing.

he is also our least experienced Premiership player having played in 1929 for only 2 games. Then played in a surprise selection for the GF and played his last game as a premiership player. Total the 2 earlier games, plus the 3rd a flag!

injury came from that game, as it were, died for Collingwood.

tragic tale.

medicine not being what it is today, numerous people surely died young, just because medicine wasn’t as capable as today.
What a strange tale Saintly.

Sad but triumphant too in its own way . .

25 short years but a premiership player in the greatest team that has ever been seen in this comp.

Rest you well Charlie you did us all proud.

What a strange tale Saintly.

Sad but triumphant too in its own way . .

25 short years but a premiership player in the greatest team that has ever been seen in this comp.

Rest you well Charlie you did us all proud.
That he did.

Hello! I was just wondering if anyone knew the days that the boys train in the morning? I’m going to be nearby the Holden centre early in the morning during the week. cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello! I was just wondering if anyone knew the days that the boys train in the morning? I’m going to be nearby the Holden centre early in the morning during the week. cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Generally Monday, Wednesday and Friday's.
From 10am usually, but the hot weather tomorrow may prompt an earlier start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back