Applying for the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Papa Ted

Team Captain
May 26, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
G'day All,

Does anyone know what the process is to apply for the Collingwood board of directors? I can't find any details on their website.

Serious answers only please.

G'day All,

Does anyone know what the process is to apply for the Collingwood board of directors? I can't find any details on their website.

I think this is the current Articles of Association

Go to section 29 onwards. Where there is a casual vacancy, the Board can fill the vacancy from the existing membership (need to have been a member for 2 years).

• Banned

Don’t think there will be an election - until the next AGM. If the Articles of Association I posted above are the current ones, the Board selects a replacement who takes over for the rest of Ed’s term and then there is the usual retirement/re-election process when the term ends.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Worthwhile reading.

Particularly as it relates to the (poor) governance of our board.
“Clearly we can’t continue to have what we have had for the last few years – for the last 20 years, at Collingwood. Certainly, more transparency is needed. But you need term limits too, for directors and chairmen, and good succession planning. As soon as you join a board you should start to think who, for the next few years, you need to keep on the board or you need to attract to the board so that you’ve got … people who can succeed you. You’re not thinking how long can I cling on to this job. That wasn’t evident at Collingwood.
She says at its heart good corporate governance hinges on: succession planning including for the board chair; term limits of about 9-12 years for board members; challenging and collegiate boardroom dynamics that challenge bad decisions and errant culture; clear roles for directors and managers; and risk management policies that are followed and actioned.

G'day All,

If you can get a hold of the video from the member’s function a few months ago (the one where Ed announces that he’ll stand down at the end of 2021) he provides a few details about the process of appointing the President, the name of the returning officer, etc, etc. I’d assume board appointments would be same.

Good Luck!

G'day All,

ps, here’s the video link below, fast forward to the 9min 30sec mark:

(need to have been a member for 2 years).

IIRC they found a way around that rule for Waitslitz? Maybe the rule got struck out? Maybe there was a separate vote to give him a waiver?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IIRC they found a way around that rule for Waitslitz? Maybe the rule got struck out? Maybe there was a separate vote to give him a waiver?

There are provisions to provide a waiver for the 24 mths membership. Not sure it was a formal requirement but it certainly helped that just before Waislitz came on he held an awesome party at his ranch in Orrong Rd. Through a number of happy and illogical circumstances I ended up attending. And was sat on a table next to Elsie and Bob Rose. One of the greatest experiences of my life!

Worthwhile reading.

Particularly as it relates to the (poor) governance of our board.

Finally, someone addressing the key issues associated with the "systemic racism" identified in the Do Better report rather than projecting the club as inherently racist.

Finally, someone addressing the key issues associated with the "systemic racism" identified in the Do Better report rather than projecting the club as inherently racist.
I dunno - what Proust says may well be entirely correct, but she seems to be lobbing a few bombs from the sidelines. IIRC she was doing this well before the Do Better report was released. She says she was offered a board role, turned it down and is now happy to offer advice from the afar. If you have the Club's best interests at heart, why not provide them with your insights directly rather than feeding it to journos?

Absolutely.

I think a lot of people, especially the media, are getting confused, or purposefully distorting, what the report actually concludes.

The clubs issues are ‘systemic’, in so far that the current structures, policies and processes don’t actively engender racial equity/inclusiveness. Nor are they unable to effectively and consistently deal with racism incidents as they arise.

As an outsider I personally 100% agree with those conclusions and recognise it’s still of massive concern. Particularly as it relates to spin, brand protection, damage control etc over bringing about meaningful change.

The report is quite clear that fundamentally it comes down to poor and proper governance.

If you were to believe many in the media though you’d be mislead to believe that the club is ‘systematic’(ally) racist i.e actively and purposefully doing racist things in order to be racist.

I dunno - what Proust says may well be entirely correct, but she seems to be lobbing a few bombs from the sidelines. IIRC she was doing this well before the Do Better report was released. She says she was offered a board role, turned it down and is now happy to offer advice from the afar. If you have the Club's best interests at heart, why not provide them with your insights directly rather than feeding it to journos?

She declined an invite to join the board but did the board ever invite her to contribute as just a consultant? It's how Murphy got to the board after all. A board that targeted her did so for a very specific reason, that being what she could bring to the table. People don't need formal positions to enable that.

Absolutely.

I think a lot of people, especially the media, are getting confused, or purposefully distorting, what the report actually concludes.

The clubs issues are ‘systemic’, in so far that the current structures, policies and processes don’t actively engender racial equity/inclusiveness. Nor are they unable to effectively and consistently deal with racism incidents as they arise.

As an outsider I personally 100% agree with those conclusions and recognise it’s still of massive concern. Particularly as it relates to spin, brand protection, damage control etc over bringing about meaningful change.

The report is quite clear that fundamentally it comes down to poor and proper governance.

If you were to believe many in the media though you’d be mislead to believe that the club is ‘systematic’(ally) racist i.e actively and purposefully doing racist things in order to be racist.

That's my bugbear. The incidents cited in the report are largely historic and the report gives little indication of the progress that has been made since the Goodes incident. I'd like to see the club articulate that.

As it says, she doesn’t currently have the time or inclination...

Wouldn’t have thought that should disqualify her from providing expert advice (which is what she’s doing - not lobbing bombs).

The more the better I reckon.

As it says, she doesn’t currently have the time or inclination...

Wouldn’t have thought that should disqualify her from providing expert advice (which is what she’s doing - not lobbing bombs).

The more the better I reckon.
Giving quotes to journos is not "providing expert advice". It might not be a bomb, but making commentary to third parties isn't advising. I just query the motivations of doing that from afar.

But I certainly understand your POV.

There are provisions to provide a waiver for the 24 mths membership. Not sure it was a formal requirement but it certainly helped that just before Waislitz came on he held an awesome party at his ranch in Orrong Rd. Through a number of happy and illogical circumstances I ended up attending. And was sat on a table next to Elsie and Bob Rose. One of the greatest experiences of my life!

I just read this comment. Does this mean that there's a good chance that you and Alex Waislitz might put in a joint application for the presidency. Alex appears to have long term problems attending board meetings and it would be useful for him to have someone to do the hard yakka.

What Elizabeth, who I have met a couple of times and regard her favourably says, is the thrust of what I have been saying about Ed and the board prior to the racism report getting aired. There was a distinct lack of professionalism and good governance about the way Ed (and some of his followers) have ran the board. It was not setting up the foundations of the organisation for success and inevitably it was going to end in tears. Governance has been a problem, but Ed's personal influence was also toxic as he juggled his loyalties to the club, the AFL and his media interests and did largely as he pleased as he interfered with various issues. Not that Ed didn't have some virtues and make a valuable contribution, but provided we select the right candidate, we'll be demonstrably better off for Ed having moved on and some of the longer dated board members also exiting with him.

What Elizabeth, who I have met a couple of times and regard her favourably says, is the thrust of what I have been saying about Ed and the board prior to the racism report getting aired. There was a distinct lack of professionalism and good governance about the way Ed (and some of his followers) have ran the board. It was not setting up the foundations of the organisation for success and inevitably it was going to end in tears. Governance has been a problem, but Ed's personal influence was also toxic as he juggled his loyalties to the club, the AFL and his media interests and did largely as he pleased as he interfered with various issues. Not that Ed didn't have some virtues and make a valuable contribution, but provided we select the right candidate, we'll be demonstrably better off for Ed having moved on and some of the longer dated board members also exiting with him.

Eddie was the Dictator

Remove this Banner Ad

Back