Applying for the draft, when you have no reason to

Remove this Banner Ad

People used to always do it because they sent out a certificate or something. Fat tradies would be on the news making a joke of it. I thought they changed it so a local club or somebody has to act as a referal to get rid of the time wasters.

People used to always do it because they sent out a certificate or something. Fat tradies would be on the news making a joke of it. I thought they changed it so a local club or somebody has to act as a referal to get rid of the time wasters.

Like the old folklore of guys writing to big European football clubs and getting a letter from say Juventus saying 'you are welcome to come trial' somewhere along the lines.

For the famous Hawthorn 2004 draft, I remember reading an article about how Buckenara, who was tasked for the first time with reading out their selections actually read the player number of Luke Franklin, a guy from Morwell who'd missed out on the draft a couple of years before and was still on the register rather than Lance. Pretty sure the story went he corrected it pretty quickly, but man you can imagine the folklore that would have resulted if it hadn't and the AFL had stuck to the letter of the law.

This is true, I've heard Bucky confirm it. Matt Rendell also read out the wrong number when he drafted Jarrhan Jacky and Andy D or Gil just asked him to read it out again.

Costs money doesnt it? Also you have to have played state or one league reserves game or something along those lines?

I would certainly get drafted. Who wouldn't want a fat half back flanker with suspect kicking skills and a one handed pick up to die for?

around 1300 players apply each year.

Pretty sure you need to be registered at a club but other than that you just pay a fee, fill out the form and you're in.

Hmm Gary Buddha Hocking was Whiskers for a day ... Whiskers sounds like a first rounder to me. or .... Pick 62 Carlton player number 43944514 'The Flying Doormat' Bruce Doull .... Pick 63 Western Bulldogs player number 395513335 Terry 'Squirrel' Wheeler. Name yourself after a Diety or some unusual physical characteristic or action. What was that rugby player Hopoate >< used to polish his fingernails in unusual places.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NSW minister for sport Stuart Ayres put in for the draft while playing reserve grade at the Penrith Rams in about 98.Couldn't get a kick then either.

For the famous Hawthorn 2004 draft, I remember reading an article about how Buckenara, who was tasked for the first time with reading out their selections actually read the player number of Luke Franklin, a guy from Morwell who'd missed out on the draft a couple of years before and was still on the register rather than Lance. Pretty sure the story went he corrected it pretty quickly, but man you can imagine the folklore that would have resulted if it hadn't and the AFL had stuck to the letter of the law.

It happened to the Bucs in the NFL in 1982.

https://www.si.com/longform/nfl-draft-82/index.html

Not the draft but did i hear that Steven Alessio just was training with Essendon for fitness and a bit of fun with mates in the early 90s and Sheedy signed him up. Ended up being a premiership player (i think)

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

True. One of the last blokes who just rocked up asked to join in training - at an AFL club.

His size would've helped of course!

Like the old folklore of guys writing to big European football clubs and getting a letter from say Juventus saying 'you are welcome to come trial' somewhere along the lines.

Amateurs... Ali Dia made it all the way to the first team and actually took the field in a Premier League game!

Legend.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Dia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back