AFLW Appointments and Recruiting - list in OP - now includes all recruits (updated 17/11)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on the Western Bulldogs appointing the joint role of Head Coach/Manager Role?
Saw the position description advertised a while ago and the role included managing the budget and travel accommodation. If you're serious about this competition you would think that they would have the head coach focus on his main job (coaching!)...

If it means he is booking the hotel, then yes, they are not serious. If the person booking the hotel reports to him, that is fine I think in a short season. How many times will they have to travel? 2 or 3 times? Probably doesn't require an entire admin to handle. Their normal mechanisms do it, and report to the coach.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Thoughts on the Western Bulldogs appointing the joint role of Head Coach/Manager Role?
Saw the position description advertised a while ago and the role included managing the budget and travel accommodation. If you're serious about this competition you would think that they would have the head coach focus on his main job (coaching!)...

I think we'll find initially theres a lot of clubs with people serving dual roles while the competition is in its infancy, and the clubs can take advantage of the intergration the womens and mens teams can have. Essentially operating as another team, but the same club, so much of the admin work will already be handled by existing club administration - ie. A head of football, a ceo etc.

Brisbane sign Kaitlyn Ashmore from Melbourne Uni as a priority pick. They have signed Sabrina Frederick Traub from WA, the 2 best Queenslanders, and a top Vic midfielder.

Adelaide have signed Jasmine Anderson as a rookie.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-09-05/family-ties-for-new-crow-anderson

The sister of a current AFL player has signed as the first rookie for the new Crows women’s squad.

Jasmine Anderson, from Darwin, qualifies because she has not played football for three years, instead concentrating on soccer with Hellenic in the Northern Territory for the past three seasons.

Collingwood have signed Helen Roden as a rookie.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-09-02/roden-joins-collingwood-womens-team

Collingwood’s women’s AFL team has found another member, with former basketballer Helen Roden joining the Magpies as a rookie-listed player.

Roden, the sister of former Richmond and Port Adelaide player David Rodan has recently settled in Melbourne after spending a number of years playing and coaching college basketball at Texas Christian University in the United States.

Born in Fiji, she joins the Magpies as a rookie under similar AFL guidelines which saw Mason Cox find success from outside of a traditional football background.

Prior to turning to basketball, Roden played roughly six years of junior football for Oak Park in the Essendon District Football League.

She was a Best and Fairest winner and arrives at Collingwood with the potential to add x-factor to the forward line.

Tennis coach Kate Sheahan, daughter of Mike, has joined Collingwood as their second rookie

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Why is one sibling Rodan and the other a Roden?
Might be BS, got this from magpies.net: "According to the commentators last night, it was a spelling mistake on her passport when it was issued, she's never bothered to correct it."

Otherwise, perhaps it's a male/female thing like Marat Safin and Dinara Safina.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hutchins is now formally selected as Collingwoods priority pick.
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-09-06/hutchins-selected-with-priority-pick

Kate Sheehan, 34 year old daughter of Mike joining Collingwood as a rookie pick. Having talked to Carlton, and crediting Gil Mclachlan as playing a part.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/ef64a4ae4fbc8b675e4ab9541b0a88f4

KATE Sheahan was bemused when she saw a text pop up from a former tennis pupil, a G. McLachlan of Prahran.

It was the night before the AFL’s women’s industry lunch in May, which Sheahan was to attend.

The message from league boss Gillon McLachlan was simple: “Are you going to play in the new league?”

“I thought they were joking,” Sheahan said.

But McLachlan and fellow AFL executive Simon Lethlean were not joking. And they were persistent.

“Gillon had seen me play when I was younger and I was his tennis coach, so he knew what I was like,” Sheahan said.

That is, competitive.

McLachlan is handy with a racquet, tough to beat at the net thanks to his ruckman height. But Sheahan never let him win.

“They came up to me at the lunch and said, `You would have lost it any way’, trying to egg me on,” Sheahan said.

“I thought well, I’ll show you. I started training and I was getting stronger and I spoke to a few different clubs.”

The daughter of iconic football journalist Mike Sheahan and mother to Will, six, Sheahan has proved her point by winning a contract with Collingwood for next year’s National Women’s League.

The 34-year-old and Helen Roden, the college basketballer whose brother David played for Richmond, Melbourne and Port Adelaide, will be the Magpies’ two rookies.

Sheahan is a tennis coach, running her own business working mainly with elite juniors, and at one time was a state grade player.

She played football until she was about 14, the only girl in an all-boys league.

She played at Balwyn, contemporaries and future AFL players Sam and Luke Power convincing her to join them.

“We won the under-13 premiership and Luke was my water boy,” she said. “I played centre-half forward at the time.”

In 2006 she played a game for Melbourne University in the top-level VWFL but broke her wrist, putting an end to her playing days. She feared another injury would imperil her future in tennis

But things are different now.

“The reason I’m taking the risk now with my tennis career is this is the biggest thing that’s ever happened to me in my life,” she said.

“If I had the opportunity to play AFL footy and I’m good enough, I was never going to knock it back.”

Mike Sheahan, former chief football writer at this paper, said his daughter was living her dream.

“I remember watching her as a kid and this sounds typically `fatherish', but she was an outstanding junior player,” Mike said.

“She read it well, good hands, good decisions, good vision.

“She’s finally got the chance to do what I think she was born to do.

“When the push was on (for the women’s league), I thought, it’s just a pity for Kate it’s happened now and not 10 years ago.

“But she’s been able to fulfil her ambition.

“I said once ... the sad reality is she’s the best footballer in the family. Her father (who played for Werribee in the old VFA) included.

“She’s got two brothers and me and she’s been the best of the four of us.”

Sheahan chatted with Carlton, but was snapped up by the Pies under the rookie rule, where clubs can sign a player from outside the traditional recruiting grounds.

“I just wanted to do it and when it was Collingwood, I was even a bit more blown away because they’re the biggest and best football club in the land,” she said.

Sheahan lives in Middle Park with Australian tennis players and vocal Carlton fans Daria Gavrilova and Luke Saville.

But Dasha has been swayed.

“They’re Carlton but I’ve told Dasha she’s now Collingwood,” Sheahan said.

“She’s really excited.”

Will, an Essendon supporter, is thrilled too.

“We were sitting on the couch, we were watching TV, we weren’t even talking and he just turned and looked at me and he said ‘mummy, I’m really happy you’re going to Collingwood, I’m really proud of you’,” Sheahan said.

Should Vic teams be targeting the Youth girls with their high draft picks? Vic dominated the last national champs with a good bunch of really talented teenagers. Someone like Katherine Smith or Deanna Berry, who are utterly focused on being footballers, and could easily dominate the comp for a decade. Do you risk passing up on the chance to get a generational player and the next Daisy Pearce to get an established player ready to go now?

This then raises a thorny issue for next year. Some of the dominant Vics are not old enough to draft, they will come through next year. The game will still not be fully professional, so it will still be hard to get people to move state, especially teenagers still studying.
If GWS finish last, in the mens, they get high draft picks nationally, but in the womens, they will have to draft local, but the best new talent will be in Vic, and essentially only available to the Vic teams.
So the Vic teams could do really well next year, then get the exclusive chance to draft the best young players in the country, while GWS have to make do with what they can get. I think there where only a few players from NSW even in the All star youth game last weekend.

Should Vic teams be targeting the Youth girls with their high draft picks? Vic dominated the last national champs with a good bunch of really talented teenagers. Someone like Katherine Smith or Deanna Berry, who are utterly focused on being footballers, and could easily dominate the comp for a decade. Do you risk passing up on the chance to get a generational player and the next Daisy Pearce to get an established player ready to go now?

This then raises a thorny issue for next year. Some of the dominant Vics are not old enough to draft, they will come through next year. The game will still not be fully professional, so it will still be hard to get people to move state, especially teenagers still studying.
If GWS finish last, in the mens, they get high draft picks nationally, but in the womens, they will have to draft local, but the best new talent will be in Vic, and essentially only available to the Vic teams.
So the Vic teams could do really well next year, then get the exclusive chance to draft the best young players in the country, while GWS have to make do with what they can get. I think there where only a few players from NSW even in the All star youth game last weekend.

Some really good questions there - I think if you get a chance go grab a 10 year player, you might have to take it. On the other question, this has been a mystery from day one - money would have to increase significantly if we are to have a true national draft.

Turns out McKenzie Arnold, Matildas goalkeeper is good friends with Brisbane priority pick (and employee) Emma Zielke, which might explain why Arnold tried her hand at footy in the QWAFL last year. Where she dominated in the forward line in her first season, topping league goal per game averages. So McKenzie Arnold for Brisbane?

Erin Phillips taken by the Crows as a rookie
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-13/basketballer-and-olympic-medallist-signs-with-crows

The 31-year-old Phillips, daughter of former Collingwood and Port Adelaide (SANFL) player Greg Phillips, is a dual Olympian and is currently playing for the Dallas Wings in the WNBA in the United States.

The Crows signed Phillips as a rookie and will also employ her in a part-time role to work in various departments including media and communications and commercial operations. In line with AFL rules, rookies must not have participated in organised football in the past three years. Phillips played football as a junior before pursuing basketball.

Fremantle have named their rookies and priority picks.
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-09-14/freo-go-for-mickle-gold
Commonwealth Games gold medallist Kim Mickle has been rookie listed by Fremantle as one of four new signings for the club in the national women’s league.
Mickle, 31, who competed in javelin at the Rio Olympics, joins priority picks Ebony Antonio and Kirby Bentley and fellow rookie Gabby O’Sullivan in Fremantle’s squad for the league’s inaugural season in 2017

Fremantle’s second rookie pick, Gabby O’Sullivan, returned to Perth in June after graduating with a bachelor of science from the College of Coastal Georgia in the United States, where she had a basketball scholarship. The 22-year old, who qualifies as a rookie because she has not played football for three years prior to 15 June, was convinced to play for East Fremantle by her father, John O’Sullivan, who played 133 games for the Sharks.

The OP has been updated.

Fremantle have named their rookies and priority picks.
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-09-14/freo-go-for-mickle-gold
Commonwealth Games gold medallist Kim Mickle has been rookie listed by Fremantle as one of four new signings for the club in the national women’s league.
Mickle, 31, who competed in javelin at the Rio Olympics, joins priority picks Ebony Antonio and Kirby Bentley and fellow rookie Gabby O’Sullivan in Fremantle’s squad for the league’s inaugural season in 2017

Fremantle’s second rookie pick, Gabby O’Sullivan, returned to Perth in June after graduating with a bachelor of science from the College of Coastal Georgia in the United States, where she had a basketball scholarship. The 22-year old, who qualifies as a rookie because she has not played football for three years prior to 15 June, was convinced to play for East Fremantle by her father, John O’Sullivan, who played 133 games for the Sharks.

The OP has been updated.
Also announced 2 major sponsors for the Womens team, Programmed and Woodside
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/...woodside-on-board-with-fremantles-womens-team

Also a piece on Gabby
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2016-09-14/like-father-like-daughter

and Kirby
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-09-14/former-netballer-excited-to-provide-a-pathway

big interview with Kim Mickle here, and she speaks and presents really well, its obvious she has done a presser or 2 in her life.
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2016-09-14/from-rio-to-freo

Dees have announced womens coach
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-15/womens-league-coaches-revealed

Melbourne
Michael Stinear:
One of the star coaches at TAC Cup level and in line for three straight flags with the Oakleigh Chargers. Was a rookie at Carlton before heading north and winning a league best and fairest award playing for Queensland club Mt Gravatt.

Bulldogs have taken Libby Burch as a rookie pick
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-09-15/netball-talent-signs-as-dogs-rookie

A state-level junior netballer, Birch took up football in June this year joining the Darebin Falcons, and has played 10 games in her debut season.
The 18-year-old is set to line up in the VFL side’s grand-final against Melbourne University this weekend, alongside Bulldogs marquee player Katie Brennan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back